Kabukichoatmidnight

NEW BANDS

This may be a dumb idea so you can tell me to shut up and go home if you like, but was thinking the "new bands" announcements take up a lot of space in the news section of the forum, especially as there seem to be about 10 new bands form every day...haha. So would it be an idea to have a separate section for new band announcements? Like a sub section in the news section or whatever?

I wouldn't mind this. It would be helpful to easily go to a band or artist on a quarterly basis or something related. Maybe a complied list every so often as a reminder or something to see if there is an update. Rather then trying to remember a name that you probably forgot 2 weeks ago or something.

Not a big fan of the idea, I'm afraid. I particularly enjoy browsing the news section the way it is as it gives me more opportunities to laugh at bad new bands. Plus I suggested the idea of the "Minor News Thread" like a decade ago and it went mostly unused (it was a bad idea to begin with), so I'm not sure if splitting up the news section even further would do any good.

2 hours ago, suji said:

That's what the news forum is for tho?

Just search "new bands"...

The idea was the opposite, to filter out all the new band news amongst all the other news as there are so many "new band" posts it just clutters up all the news about existing bands and their new releases and stuff. And in fairness a lot of these new bands hardly ever get mentioned again or are just really generic and never become anything noteworthy so is a bit of a waste of time mentioning every single one. In my opinion, I don't expect everyone to agree or whatever but just thought as there are so many new band posts it'd be better to put them in a sub section out the way of news about existing bands and can be gathered in one place by those who want to keep tabs on that sort of thing. And in any case, what could make that great is like Axius I think was getting at, is basically to end up with a database of bands, maybe even lock each new band thread, and just have say, their website, name, videos for a song or two, their look blahblahblah and update it accordingly so then if they disband, note that in there as well. Not sure I've explained that properly but hopefully you get the gist.

1 hour ago, saishuu said:

Not a big fan of the idea, I'm afraid. I particularly enjoy browsing the news section the way it is as it gives me more opportunities to laugh at bad new bands. Plus I suggested the idea of the "Minor News Thread" like a decade ago and it went mostly unused (it was a bad idea to begin with), so I'm not sure if splitting up the news section even further would do any good.

Agreed. Splitting up the news section ain't gonna work, and I'm sure a new bands thread will be clogged and messy just like the Minor News Thread, especially with bands that gain a lot of traction like Mamireta, etc. If you wanna look up the bands you're following, just look them up in the search bar. @Kabukichoatmidnight

4 minutes ago, suji said:

Agreed. Splitting up the news section ain't gonna work, and I'm sure a new bands thread will be clogged and messy just like the Minor News Thread, especially with bands that gain a lot of traction like Mamireta, etc. If you wanna look up the bands you're following, just look them up in the search bar. @Kabukichoatmidnight

You still seem to be misunderstanding what I mean. It's less about finding bands I want to find, I'm aware there is a search function here (duh) and I follow the bands/members I want to follow and keep upto date with them on other media as I'm sure everyone on here does so it's got nothing to do with not being able to find the info/bands I want to check out or anything like that. The idea is more filtering out new bands I'm not interested in looking at, not because I have a problem with them but a lot of these new bands never amount to anything so it's just unnecessary clog in my opinion, maybe some people feel the same, maybe others aren't too bothered. haha. I don't really see how one thread per new band in a separate section will be messy as that's generally how it works in the normal news section anyway, just that they get in the way of all the other news.... It's not about using that thread to keep updating progress (though that could be cool if someone can be bothered to do it in a locked thread, (however bands have their own websites for that sort of thing) meaning people can't post in it, just one moderator adjusts it when and if need be) it would simply be for the announcements of the formations of new bands, any further news on them (such as new releases, tours etc...) would go in the news thread as normal. This is just my opinion on the matter, I've more or less said and suggested everything I need to say about it, so whether people agree and it happens or people disagree and it doesn't happen, I don't really care and am not going to post in this thread about it anymore. Just an idea I thought could make things a bit neater around here. haha. So upto you guys from here.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/390811-new-bands-button-for-monochrome-heaven

I made a button w/ JavaScript that links to a search query including "formed" sorted by newest. Use TamperMonkey or some other userscript manager extension.

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo?hl=en

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tampermonkey/

Tampermonkey (and other browser versions): http://www.tampermonkey.net/

var body = document.getElementsByClassName("ipsDataItem_subList ipsList_inline")[0];

Change the index "[0]" to subsequent numbers if it's under the wrong subforum.

*😭 Already on version 0.5 b/c of my nitpicky ass. It's finalized for now...

079%20Slowpoke.png

** Actually just read the posts because i'm sloooooow.

Seems like you wanted the opposite... Uh, that sounds like it's gonna be a no... It would be nice if the search plugin had "contains none".... You would get a shit-ton of searches tho...Also, it wouldn't be a pleasant experience going through the news that way.

*** Oh, forgot my opinion on the matter. It seems like extra work for little benefit. New band threads get updated w/ first or 0th singles most of the time, and if they last like 5 seconds you can just update it w/ "and disbanded". Additionally, to prevent a thread from becoming your standard news one w/ reactions + updates, a mod would have to lock every single thread in that subforum, assuming there was only one initial post. Also, "unnecessary clog" is subjective, lul.

Edited by colorful人生

In addition to my last comment, as another option: It doesnt have to me major like a separate section or something. It could just be a small section that lists the top 10 newest bands that formed. Like how the home page has it to the right on the top 5 recent posts on the forum. 

Edited by Axius

I like the idea in that it sounds more organized and it would be convenient for anyone who might be specifically looking for something new to listen to, but also I've found like 3 of the bands I currently listen to on the News section on here and I clicked on them as a whim (because why the heck not) and not because I was specifically searching for something new to listen to. I'm not sure I see myself actively going to a specific section to check out new bands as much as I see myself just clicking a new band article because it's already there anyway. That's just my personal experience though. 

On 10/5/2019 at 6:36 PM, Axius said:

I wouldn't mind this. It would be helpful to easily go to a band or artist on a quarterly basis or something related. Maybe a complied list every so often as a reminder or something to see if there is an update. Rather then trying to remember a name that you probably forgot 2 weeks ago or something.

I once did that, and people also thought it was stupid... 

8 hours ago, BrenGun said:

I once did that, and people also thought it was stupid... 

I ment not as a topic but a implementation on the website.

@BrenGun is correct. She floated this idea a while ago, and we gave her the same reason then as we did now: it's a lot of work to maintain. Splitting the forum into visual kei and "other" a few years ago took a concerted effort from all of us, and it took hours, and it wasn't perfect. To maintain a "new bands" section would require us to put forth that kind of effort regularly. That work would fall on the staff...and we are not doing it.

On top of that, I think that this idea would not work because of user browsing habits. I have observed that users are less likely to frequent a particular sub forum here the more deeply nested that sub forum is, and that's because it is not immediately obvious that the forum is there. It's true for every forum category here, and even for groups, a criminally underrated feature which allows members to construct their own "forums" here. Only a fraction of users here will ever frequent a forum nested more than three levels deep, and barely anyone uses the groups functionality.

Even topic tags would be messy because someone would have to tag all of the new band threads, and someone else would have to go through and untag those threads after X amount of time. Nobody is doing that. We could hire an entire team of moderators, give em a color (let's say green), and make that their only task and they still wouldn't do it...because it's a soul crushing task with no reward other than "Thanks!" from some stranger halfway across the planet posting on MH using two coconuts and a McDonald's Wi-Fi connection.

Finally, I don't think this would work because of user posting habits (which is related to their browsing habits but is not the same). The News section is so popular because that's where breaking news goes, and then tons of members post their feelings and responses to updates and conversation there. The Artist forum should be the place of 90% of the conversation that happens in the news thread, and we've tried to redirect conversation there in the past, but members just like posting in the News section. 🤷‍♂️

tl;dr: The news section is always going to be packed and clogged with threads. It's a good problem to have. Any attempt at wrangling order out of chaos is futile. 

Thank you for posting this topic but the answer is no.