psychonnect_rozen

Top 5 favourite animes

Any 90s Tenchi stuff (for nostalgia)

FLCL (for excellence in visual storytelling/general quality)
Nadesico (well paced, coherent, full of well developed characters... it's none of these things. But it's one of the most 90s things I've ever seen and it has a lot of soul)

Bubblegum Crisis (token 80s schlock pick)

School Rumble (token 00s fluff pick)

If movies count, any of the above could be replaced with Akira or Ninja Scroll depending on my mood, the time of day, etc.

Yugioh 

Yugioh gx 

Yugioh 5ds 

Monster 

Aoi bungaku

Death note ( up untill episode 24 #near sucks) 

Started watching: 2000 with Sailor Moon (technically before with the likes of Tonde Buurin and Mach Go Go Go but lol let's count since when I knew "anime" or smt) 

1- Code Geass (S1 only) (before anyone goes LMAOOO LOL OL I'll let u kno I am rewatching it on Netflix now and it's as good as the other 5 times)

2- Clannad

3- Psycho-Pass (S1 only)

4- Barakamon

5- Ai no KusShiki

Honorable mentions: Honey & Clover ; newer Fate series ; (girls can have personal tastes!!) Free! ; Akatsuki no Yona ; Ouran Host Club ; Tamako Market (specials are awesome!) ; (literally only bearable long shounen) Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood ; (no idea if these will stand the test of time:) Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu ; Tsurune ; Netjuu no Susume

Edited by Chell

On 8/29/2019 at 7:25 PM, YuyoDrift said:

edit: Also for shits, I am now adding my 6-10 here.

Hide contents

6. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

7. GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka

8. Overlord

9. Prison School

10. SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist

I'm extremely surprised that SHIMONETA, a *modern* ecchi series with extremely childish jokes is in YOUR favorites. 

But even I, senior hater of ecchis and harems, enjoyed that series. It was super entertaining, cleverly dumb and the characters were fun.  I'm also surprised Prison School is there too, but the first half of the manga is in my all time faves. This is why we get along @YuyoDrift

My top 5

Started watching late 90s/00s when I was around 5 or 6. First anime was either Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura. 

1. FMA Brotherhood (we're never getting this level of quality in the industry again) 

2. Space Dandy 

3. Kill la Kill

4. Yu Yu Hakusho

5. Rurouni Kenshin (Shishio Arc only) 

I would add Cardcaptor Sakura somewhere in my list, but I'm gonna rewatch it first to see if it's still as good as I thought. Previous favorites that got booted off the list after a rewatch include Sailor Moon and 2 seasons of Rurouni Kenshin. 

Honorable mentions: Devilman Crybaby, Samurai Champloo, Made in Abyss, JJBA Battle Tendency, Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai 

Top 5 is pretty hard to choose! There's a lot that I enjoy depending on my mood/genre and I just started delving more into old 80s anime in recent years, including other classic stuff that I missed. DBZ and Sailor Moon were my first anime, and Cardcaptor Sakura was a childhood favorite that I do really still love ngl (the clear card-hen was absolute shit tho). Anyway, I'm gonna list by series and movies too cuz there's quite a few movies that I enjoy.

Series: (stuff that I've at least watched twice)

Mushishi

Death Note

Saraiya Goyou

Aoi Bungaku Series

Serial Experiments Lain

Movies:

Perfect Blue

Spirited Away

Mind Game

Vampire Hunter D (2000)

Koe no Katachi

Honorable Mentions: Monogatari Series, Kemonozume, Gankutsuou, Monster, Ping Pong the Animation, Elfen Lied, The Tatami Galaxy, Boogiepop Phantom, Kino no Tabi (2003)

Edited by plastic_rainbow

Top 5 animu ok

1 -  Death note season 1 

2 -  Monster (only scenes that feature Johan) 

3 - [insert generic anime] 

4 - [insert generic anime] 

5 - Shrek 1 2 

Edited by Keiyuh
My phone is somehow dumber then me

Monster, Versailles no bara, Psycho-pass S1, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan

other mentions: Genshiken, Hinamatsuri, Asobi Asobase, Kimi to boku, Sakamoto desu ga, Mitsudomoe, B-Gata H-Kei, Nichijou, Chio-chan no tsuugakuro, Dororo, Tanaka-kun wa itsumo kedaruge, Gakuen Babysitters, Handa-kun, Osomatsu-san, Kakushigoto

i like silly SoL anime

Saiyuki Reload Blast 
Black Butler (Though the Book of Circus and Book of Murder were a lot better lol disregard season 2)
Elfen Lied
The Devil is a Part timer
Wolf's Rain

That's about it. I don't get too much into anime anymore, though if The Devil is a Part Timer would just get a season 2 I would definitely jump back into that. Devilman Crybaby was pretty good and Mirai was actually a really cute movie to watch. 

Unfortunately, I don't watch anime as much these days, but I still enjoy going back to watch old seasons or series I've missed in the past. I've watched some newer ones on occasions. I think I first began watching anime with DBZ and Pokemon. Time flies!

Choosing a top five is tough! There's a lot I like watching even if it's just for nostalgia or something else. If I had to choose (in no particular order):

Yu Yu Hakusho - Love this series. Comedy was hilarious, and the dynamic between the characters are unforgettable.

Trigun - It's got 90s animation all over it, but I highly enjoy the plot. The goofiness combined with the dark depth underneath made for a great combination.

Ranma 1/2 - Extremely funny and the whole gender-bending "issue" made all of it even better.

.hack//sign - Virtual world gaming, but with a whole lot of psychological issues and other serious elements

Death Note - Interesting concepts of Death Gods and the Death Note. The two opposite rivals was neat, too.

Honorable Mentions (if my list of favorites could be even longer XP):

Inuyasha - The plot and the characters were great, but there was way too much filler towards the end in the original series ^^;

Wolf's Rain

Evangelion

Saiunkoku Monogatari

Fushigi Yuugi

Akatsuki no Yona

Rurouni Kenshin - I'd say the whole series, but it's been too long since I last watched it. I distinctly remember the Shishio arc, though.

FMA - Sadly, I've only watched the original one. But I've heard the Botherhood series is really good. I need to watch that someday to compare, lol.

Fate/Zero

Mai-Hime - Starts off silly and nonsensical, but it gets quite serious towards the latter half of the series. Love the music in this one.

On 8/23/2020 at 1:45 AM, platy said:

I'm extremely surprised that SHIMONETA, a *modern* ecchi series with extremely childish jokes is in YOUR favorites. 

But even I, senior hater of ecchis and harems, enjoyed that series. It was super entertaining, cleverly dumb and the characters were fun.  I'm also surprised Prison School is there too, but the first half of the manga is in my all time faves. This is why we get along @YuyoDrift

Japan has always had this admirable way of portraying modesty vs indecency through mediums such as animation, where the existence of Ecchi anime, imo, (the good ones at least) proved that there can be a plot (probably how the joke started) to go with the lewdness, great example being my favorite of the genre: Golden Boy. The Ecchi genre now is a former shell of itself (not gonna go off-topic with my complaints) that I've become numb to many antics that I would consider "yawn" worthy. It just doesn't flow seamlessly and so it feels forced in a show that sometimes has great potential but falls short.

I'm not gonna give you a MAL- length review on why Shimoneta is on my top list (I could though haha) but this show approaches both sides of the morality fence perfectly, sometimes even tossing them both out the window, leaving you with those moments of weakness that prove just how pointless it is to be worrying about "right and wrong", bringing back that Ecchi nostalgia where I felt that this should be normal at this point.

Prison School is a completely different beast and one I applaud mostly because it's a big "open your fucking eyes" to morally-wound people that think these characters don't exist irl.  The indecency of many types of people that exist (the perverts, the masochists, the possessive/abusive types, and all the sexual fetish-ers) are shown here in their normalcy because they do in fact exist and this is the purest, raw form of what these people are truly like, no harem-joke bullshit and no stupid half-hearted attempts to be edgy, it just comes naturally and feels that way watching it. This show is what real fans of the genre want as the next big thing and Japan delivered. I'm proud lol.

My current top 5

- My Next Life as a Villainess all lead to doom

- Kuroshitsuji

- Given

- Gintama

- Amnesia (actually most of otome games that turned into anime are pretty fun to watch)