psychonnect_rozen

What genres would you like to see more of in VK

Oh damn I completely forgot Kozi was involved in XA-VAT as well. That's another great example. He was already a legend before he formed Eve of Destiny and he never seemed to entertain the idea of sticking around in VK circles under that banner either. Honestly, artists who are actually serious about dark wave probably avoid any hint of association with visual kei like the plague since there's no way it wouldn't be a huge hit for their credibility. I can't see it being a viable artistic direction again any time soon.

I would like to see more variety overall. I believe vk hasn't achieved its potential overseas largely because much of the music is within the same genre. Many of the artists that are best known overseas are ones with distinct sounds that haven't been overdone (Malice Mizer, Versailles, Schwarz Stein etc), so I think just working with styles of music that are different than the 'norm' would be very good for vk's health overall. Perhaps even add accessibility to overseas fans. I suppose this is only important if you care about the vk as a scene though. I wonder what a visual kei pop act would be like?

I'd actually like to see more vkei bands do something with shoegaze, postrock, or melancholy rock. There's been a gaping hole where 9goats black out used to be and I don't think anyone else has done it quite like them.

Or something that's a mix between genres like death metal/black metal and traditional Japanese folk music I think would be very interesting. I'm really into the sound aesthetics of Japanese folk horror (not sure what to call the use of instruments like flutes, traditional drums, and shamisen, so I just made up a name) so mixing that with some catchy metal riffs and some death metal screams sounds like a match made in heaven.

Edited by ghost

2 hours ago, ghost said:

I'd actually like to see more vkei bands do something with shoegaze, postrock, or melancholy rock. There's been a gaping hole where 9goats black out used to be and I don't think anyone else has done it quite like them.

Or something that's a mix between genres like death metal/black metal and traditional Japanese folk music I think would be very interesting. I'm really into the sound aesthetics of Japanese folk horror (not sure what to call the use of instruments like flutes, traditional drums, and shamisen, so I just made up a name) so mixing that with some catchy metal riffs and some death metal screams sounds like a match made in heaven.

I haven't actively listened to any new VK since 9goats disbanded, they really were a very special band.

I looked through your posts real quick and didn't see a single mention of Plastic Tree, if you want shoegaze inspired VK you really ought to do yourself a favor and check out some of their stuff. They always had a history of flirting with shoegaze and taking elements from the british alternative scene but the most recent music I heard from them really cranked those influences up to 11.

Edited by Milayou

On 9/6/2019 at 7:00 PM, Milayou said:

I haven't actively listened to any new VK since 9goats disbanded, they really were a very special band.

I looked through your posts real quick and didn't see a single mention of Plastic Tree, if you want shoegaze inspired VK you really ought to do yourself a favor and check out some of their stuff. They always had a history of flirting with shoegaze and taking elements from the british alternative scene but the most recent music I heard from them really cranked those influences up to 11.

Somehow I missed your comment! This is pretty good! I never got into them in their early days, but this sounds right up my alley!

I'm a little tired of vk related bands doing the artsy thing honestly (even though there are only like.... 2 bands like that?). Maybe that makes me a raging hypocrite because I don't like knuckle dragging nu-metal vk either, but oh well. I kind of go to vk to ESCAPE the middlebrow, anti-rockstar sensibilities of stuff like art rock/post-rock/shoegaze/dreampoop.