Shaolan974

DIMLIM new album, "MISC." release

ehh. I'm not horrified or anything but what's up does less than nothing for me and the samples don't have me excited either. what's up especially I just find boring.

3 hours ago, Zeus said:

Forgive me but I don't see what's so special about "What's up?".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this brand of indie/math (done to this extent) unprecedented in the VK scene? The sound itself may not be inherently unique, but contextually, you gotta give these boys their props.

3 hours ago, Zeus said:

Sounds like a bunch of half realized ideas spread too thin over odd time signatures to me. The chorus is the only remotely memorable part.

2 hours ago, Saishu said:

It sounds like everyone in Sokoninaru and Develop One’s Faculties are playing at the same time while falling down the stairs

This is just the style. I can understand how it might sound chaotic and senseless to some ppl tho...and it may be that I'm biased because my ears are just acclimated to music like this.

But to me, it sounds like a glitchy/IDM-like approach to composing, and you hear this type of thing done in ling tosite/Tk's solo stuff and haisuinonasa, amongst many others. The sokoninaru comparison is especially apt because they've been REALLY hammering, and in my opinion - overdoing-, this style lately.

This type of composing can get REALLY tedious if overused, but I think DIMLIM did a fine job in this song of keeping things cohesive, catchy, and interesting, and not just being flashy for the sake of it. It's not an easy balance to strike, and trust me, in comparison to a lot of the stuff out there that takes a similar approach, DIMLIM are doing this style justice. Their VK leanings just make it even more special imo.

That said, we'll see how well this plays out on the album...

I really don't know how to feel about this, when Rijin came out I said "I don't care if Sho gives up screaming for something this good" but this just sounds boring and uninspired. The chorus is catchy but other than that if this is the entire album and their path for years to come, I guess I'll just stick with anything pre-Kidoairaku unless they release some actual bangers

29 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this brand of indie/math (done to this extent) unprecedented in the VK scene? The sound itself may not be inherently unique, but contextually, you gotta give these boys their props.

It is still unprecedented since Retsu has stated they are no longer VK.

16 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

Yes and a pig could tell me it's a zebra. That wouldn't make it so.

31 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

Yes and a pig could tell me it's a zebra. That wouldn't make it so.

What is it that makes them VK to you? To me, they no longer fit the criteria. 

For me the best part is 3:25-3:40,  the rest sounds like a  pop rock song I'd have to keep thumbing down on Pandora.
Vanitas was the only track I deleted so it's not surprising I don't like this. If that's what they wanna do then good for them, but between this and...whatever engrish radio pop hell that is going on in the other previews like Lament that's the nail for me. Tick Tak does have some old Gackt feeling, but if he doesn't drop his voice enough it won't be the same.

Nobody mentioned yet that Sho is throwing some Engrish lyrics at us? In the samples it sounds actually quite good but I‘m not sure if I like that approach if it is done for pleasing us Gaijins. 🤔

Edited by Demivee

I also will react to this topic.

I've listened to more songs on their youtube.. and all their previous songs are just  bad, shit visual kei music.. not even amazing rock quality, just typical boring visual kei, with no heart with no feelings just.... no.

but the new song...

The beat, the melody, the kinda vocal sound...

It all mix nicely together as a perfect mix.... it really though your heart.

Truly 10/10 song.

And believe me it is. 

Lately I only listen to masterclass rock music. music who is played by bandguys who are longer in the music world as those young dudes. music of people who know what music is.  I follow lot's of "legend Japanese rock stars (which most of you never did hear off tho lol)"  

So because of that I became very picky of what GOOD music is. 

However, I call this song really a master piece. it's a perfect song, easy to like, it touch your heart.

vocal fits perfectly to the melody....

But by listening to their previous songs,, I kinda doubt their their album will only contain this masterclass songs. 

If they will release more music like this... then I surely will support them.

I'm looking for this kind of visual kei bands, who really put everything into music.

if you dislike this kind of sound,

well then. you really don't have a good taste for music. 

7 minutes ago, Demivee said:

Nobody mentioned yet that Sho is throwing some Engrish lyrics at us? In the samples it sounds actually quite good but I‘m not sure if I like that approach if it is done for pleasing us Gaijins. 🤔

Definitely beats Lime's English from black rain lol

I dunno guize, to me it's still the same band that just decided to go in the indie rock dezert direction but just math'd up the song structure and riffs and jammed as much material in the four odd minutes as possible. I think in this case all this talk about whether it feels like its all there or that it's a mess or whether it has soul or not is just nonsense. I understand if someone thinks all the time signature shit and transitions are in bad taste, but at least in vk that's pretty novel. The chorus still 100% carries in the entire thing and that could've been in their old songs just as well as in this one. 

17 minutes ago, Demivee said:

The entire song is in Japanese...

10 minutes ago, Demivee said:

Sorry, I was talking about the preview snippets from ITunes.

Ah my bad. 

Sho has done it before though. Chedoara and Kidoairaku both have goody engrish moments. 

now that I’ve calmed down a bit, I think the album will be fine. But I’m not going to lie, I wouldn’t mind more along the lines of Grotesque, Aizou ni Tsuki, Shigarami, D. Hymnus, and Hito to Katachi...

1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

What is it that makes them VK to you? To me, they no longer fit the criteria. 

It's sho's voice and singing style.

I was being half-facetious in what I said, because if they say they're aren't VK anymore, then who am to say otherwise? But that doesn't change the fact that that singing style is endemic to VK.

What about you? Why do they no longer fit the criteria in your eyes?

7 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

I was being half-facetious in what I said, because if they say they're aren't VK anymore, then who am to say otherwise? But that doesn't change the fact that that singing style is endemic to VK.

They are 100% visual kei, even the melody is vk lol

but it's perfect vk.

perfect melody and perfect vocal.

because melody and vocal it fits 100%. 100% in harmony.

non visual kei bands truly play different melody and also different vocal. 

Uhhh... no, they are not VK anymore. With the very first track they are the first to claim that they "changed", and that's not only about their music. You could also say that they did it to be more appealing towards western audiences - their upcoming gigs in America are pretty much the proof.

Can we argue about it? Sure, the line is thin. For instance, are DEG still visual? Cause they certainly deliver a much more visual concept (from music to looks) than DIMLIM atm...

i’d say they did something right to spark this controversy, so i do give them that. they got people talking. i hope for the best with the album. i wish they kept the vk style but i’m willing to see where they take things. preordered.

Edited by Paraph

It sounds really good to me. The Sokoninaru and Develop One’s Faculties comparisons are granted and I feel it would have felt really fresh if it were released a few years back before Develop One’s Faculties dropped Reincarnation. But in 2020 it can still be cool if they pull it off well and from the samples it looks like they have.

45 minutes ago, Paraph said:

i’d say they did something right to spark this controversy, so i do give them that. they got people talking. 

Good point. What was the last band to trigger the “HOT!” tag on a thread?

3 hours ago, CAT5 said:

They no longer partake in all the culture surrounding VK (marketing, livehouses, media they appear in, shops through which they distribute their music). They went full J-indie imo. They last few gya are about to quit if they didn’t already (gotta confirm that).

Edited by Komorebi

8 hours ago, Komorebi said:

tbh I'll personally consider them fully "no longer VK" once their set lists no longer include majority of their copycat d.i.d. era and they spend at least a year w/o backtracking into the scene again.

if you're calling ur little personal vanity music project non-visual while still throwing ambitiosus principles as a concert ender on every gig it really doesn't feel that ReaL or AuthentiQ

Reserving my judgement on the music until the full album drops. It definitely takes a few listens before anything makes sense imo.

...all I have to say now is that barefaced sho is cute af