psychonnect_rozen

Unpopular Opinion

On 7/30/2019 at 2:00 AM, secret_no_03 said:

American high schools and colleges are indoctrination Institutes to turn Generation Z's into emotionally weak, selfish, free speech hating, easily triggered adult children who are offended by and afraid of everything not in their own little safe space and these teachers and professors are ruining a generation of child becoming "adults" with their brainwashing and coddling and it's going to set them and society as a whole up for a great big fall.

You are usually skirting a really thin line with some of the conspiration bullshit, but this time, you went head-first down the cliff :D

I like that you want to spark a conversation, but this ain't it. Absolutely zero evidence to support that, plus you just seem like an old bitter guy. You think it used to be better, let's say, 20 years ago? You should be happy that some teenage kid has the means and is lucky enough to be able to vent on Twitter about their shitty latté.

4 minutes ago, 123Sandman321 said:

You are usually skirting a really thin line with some of the conspiration bullshit, but this time, you went head-first down the cliff :D

I like that you want to spark a conversation, but this ain't it. Absolutely zero evidence to support that, plus you just seem like an old bitter guy. You think it used to be better, let's say, 20 years ago? You should be happy that some teenage kid has the means and is lucky enough to be able to vent on Twitter about their shitty latté.

You should read The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt. 😊

11 minutes ago, 123Sandman321 said:

When you get suspended from school for saying there's only 2 genders or making fake gun noises in fucking kindergarten, then that's really going off the cliff. Also certain colleges are totally liberal and there's absolutely no room for debating whatsoever.

Also, why do you think there's so many school shootings, especially in these last couple of years? I thought so.

2 minutes ago, suji said:

When you get suspended from school for saying there's only 2 genders or making fake gun noises in fucking kindergarten, then that's really going off the cliff.

Also, why do you think there's so many school shootings, especially in these last couple of years? I thought so.

Perhaps, but does that entitle you to condemning a whole generation of young people, along with all the teachers?

What are you talking about when you say "conspiration bullshit"?

Just now, 123Sandman321 said:

Perhaps, but does that entitle you to condemning a whole generation of young people, along with all the teachers?

yes

20 minutes ago, 123Sandman321 said:

Here's just one example of the insanity happening these days. 

It's a pretty long thread, but this is the shit that's going to keep happening if we don't stop coddling our children because those children are going to grow up and have jobs and careers and their bosses will have to deal with this shit.

10 minutes ago, 123Sandman321 said:

Idk how it is in America but in England, if you don't go out of your way to help someone for whatever trivial reason even if it'd be to your own detriment, then you are seen as a bad, heartless person (and I speak from experience). It's not just about venting about your shitty latte because that's no biggie. I can deal with that, but when you get people venting about everything bad that's happening to them over and over again to the same person who they know full well isn't equipped to deal with it because "advice is harmful" or some such bullshite, that's when it becomes degenerative.

I remember reading about this theory called Ring Theory. It states that we're all in metaphorical rings, with people with the most problems being in the centre ring and people with the least problems being in the outer ring with several other rings in between. It also states that you must vent your problems away but only to the person in the ring outside yours, then the cycle would repeat so the person you vented to would vent to the person in the ring outside them and so on. It was proposed by a woman named Susan Silk who I believe was suffering from breast cancer at the time she came up with it, and she used it as a way to cope with it. Now... in her case, I get it. She had what could have potentially been a terminal illness (I don't remember if she recovered), but it got generalised to more trivial problems and I don't know if that particular train of thought was what triggered this whole "talk it out"/"there-there-it's-going-to-be-okay" mentality, but you know what I mean. I get talking it out for things that absolutely cannot be helped, but not for the things over which you have some control. People, particularly young people, are taught to mollycoddle and be mollycoddled. They're taught to take responsibility for everyone else's issues and be their "everything" to the point where they forget to deal with their own problems yet at the same time expect everyone else to bend over backwards, forwards and sideways for them. It creates this unhealthy wave of dependency where they can't handle anything other than a pat on the shoulder and a cup of tea to magic away their problems (which I know doesn't sound like much but let me tell you, it becomes exhausting after a while because it makes you feel absolutely useless when they're talking your ears off and expecting you to be a silent nodding dog), so when they see/hear something that conflicts with this schema they've adapted, it shocks them and makes them anxious.

I'd just like to clarify that I don't think it's entirely the fault of the young people so much as it is that of the ones indoctrinating this view into them, whoever that may be. Still, if I'm to remain consistent, I have to say that it is also their responsibility to be more assertive and rational once they are given the tools needed for it... whenever that may be.

Sorry for the long post/going off on a mental health tangent, but as an aspiring paediatric therapist, I have a lot to say about this kinda thing so I guess it comes naturally to me.

In my eyes, I think younger people like myself should be able to speak out against problems or protest about something wrong.

Sure, you may disagree with it but I think people should have the right to speak their minds as long as your not promoting hate speech.

From my experience, I find that being offended is subjective as somethings that may offend you may offend others so saying that EVERYONE is offended about is a bit hypocritical since the people who tend to say those things often say offensive things to others TO get them offended but then complain about how everyone is offended now a days. 

Or the ones who say they aren’t offended and then proceed to get offended themselves 

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

Fair enough, but my issue is not with those singular examples, on that we can both agree, that they are completely irrational. My issue is that both you and Suji are prepared to completely single out a huge amount of people for the flaws of a couple.

These last few years have seen a huge increase in the acceptance of things never before perceived as normal. Definitely, you're gonna have individuals trying to exploit it, but you can't have progress without a few hiccups.

16 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

Here's just one example of the insanity happening these days. 

It's a pretty long thread, but this is the shit that's going to keep happening if we don't stop coddling our children because those children are going to grow up and have jobs and careers and their bosses will have to deal with this shit.

Fair enough, but my issue is not with those singular examples, on that we can both agree, that they are completely irrational. My issue is that both you and Suji are prepared to completely single out a huge amount of people for the flaws of a couple.

These last few years have seen a huge increase in the acceptance of things never before perceived as normal. Definitely, you're gonna have individuals trying to exploit it, but you can't have progress without a few hiccups.

You're a Gen Z apologist, which is weird because you were born in 1997, so either you're just an apologist in general, you have a personal stake in with a close friend or loved one or you're just a bleeding heart, I can't tell which. ALL progress is not GOOD progress and the path the school systems are headed and the future for the young people now and those in their late teens, early twenties is bleak.

2 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

You're a Gen Z apologist, which is weird because you were born in 1997, so either you're just an apologist in general, you have a personal stake in with a close friend or loved one or you're just a bleeding heart, I can't tell which. ALL progress is not GOOD progress and the path the school systems are headed and the future for the young people now and those in their late teens, early twenties is bleak.

I'm not an apologist for any group and neither of your deductions is correct. I not even surprised just how fast you labled me and gave the evil you fight a name. I don't even have a horse in that race. What bothered me and what I spoke out against is that you have thrown everyone in the same bag.

1 hour ago, Gesu said:

Does everything have to be exclusive to Android/iOS? They could cash in a lot more if only they ported things to PC as well

nope. smartphone apps are incomparably more profitable compared to any desktop/console release out there, even with the DLCs and whatever else included.

they can practically stop caring about the extra cost of porting the work given the revenue mobiles already bring in.

Spoiler

Horizon would go on to be the biggest debut for a new franchise on PlayStation 4, with sales eventually breaking 4 million copies*. The Dutch newspaper NRC Handelsblad reported Horizon’s budget was more than $47 million, the country’s biggest media production of all time, though that doesn’t take into account the money Sony spent on marketing. In the same year, it would be surpassed several times over by non-console games. Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds generated more than $400 million as an early access game with only one map, and mobile juggernauts like Tencent’s Honour of Kings pulled in a little under $500 million a month from a player base of more than 200 million people. What was the summation of seven years of work for Guerrilla amounted to a few weeks of revenue for a mobile game in China, which quietly passed the United States to become the biggest games market in the world in 2017.

https://theoutline.com/post/3087/outsourcing-blockbuster-video-games-made-in-china-horizon-zero-dawn

*it sold 10 mil. in total to date.

12 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

Still waiting for examples of those bullshit conspiracy theories fam @123Sandman321😉

Just look at your initial post that sparked this shitstorm. I'll paraphrase. "our government/schools are purposely indoctrinating the younglings to be weak, non self-reliant, just vessels for the destruction of our society"

If you want more, I'll have to get back to you, later. It's time consuming, juggling this convo and work.

Edited by 123Sandman321

Just now, 123Sandman321 said:

Just look at your initial post that sparked this shitstorm. I'll paraphrase. "our government/schools are purposely indoctrinating the younglings to be weak, non self-reliant, just vessels for the destruction of our society"

If you want more, I'll have to get back to you, later. It's time consuming, juggling 

Mate, you just have to look at how things have taken a turn since the latest batch of teachers and professors started teaching in 2012-2015. It's not a coincidence.

Just now, suji said:

Take this to PMs please, both of you.

Just now, secret_no_03 said:

Mate, you just have to look at how things have taken a turn since the latest batch of teachers and professors started teaching in 2012-2015. It's not a coincidence.

I'm done anyway, you can't reason with some people. 👌

Yall believe whatever but this liberal colleges makes me laugh so much because it comes without exception either from people who have never done any scholarly work in their lives or from lunatics and hacks no real researcher takes seriously. Fyi universities have never been un-ideological. This is just a fantasy of certain people operating within a certain ideological background and often with the lack of an academic background to match. 

Humanities are suffering far more from cuts in funding than the gay agenda, or something

we out here w/ some more music-related hot takes because this alex jones tier bullshit is making me spill my jellybeans:

Musicians (or, prolly more accurately, their labels) need to stop dragging other musicians to court for 'plagiarism' when the only shit that's being copied is some basic-ass chord progressions that literally anyone could come up with, that stuff only gets serious when one artist just rips off another's music wholesale (i.e. the classic Mew/Plastic Tree example i'll NEVER let go).. Until then, the amount of possible chord progressions that actually sound nice is finite my dudes, especially if you're trying to produce generic pop stuff.  let it go.

Cookie monster vocals, pig squeals & all that stuff almost immediately make a song unlistenable to me unless they're switched up with cleans from time to time, I can't listen to most death metal/deathcore/grindcore because of this, it feels like dishonest posturing more often than not. Over the past several years I've gone from absolutely hating black metal vocals to being quite okay with them and I have no issues with hardcore or screamo vox either, so I actually dunno why these particular vocal styles still continue to rub me the wrong way even to this day but it's just how it is

Nearly all stoner rock and -metal sounds the got damn  fuckin same!! the fuckin same i say!!!!! legit one of the most one-note subgenres of guitar music out there & that's taking drone into account 

Post-rock was better before that ''''''''epic''''''' oscar bait film OST' crescendo bullshit became the norm

There is LITERALLY nothing wrong with gatekeeping & the amount of (formerly) niche scenes that have actually improved by suddenly amassing massive popularity probably still numbers somewhere in the single digits (pointing @ the cancer that is the jjba fandom nowadays as a more contemporary example)

Edited by Tokage

25 minutes ago, Tokage said:

There is LITERALLY nothing wrong with gatekeeping & the amount of (formerly) niche scenes that have actually improved by suddenly amassing massive popularity probably still numbers somewhere in the single digits (pointing @ the cancer that is the jjba fandom nowadays as a more contemporary example)

There IS alot wrong with gatekeeping. It drives away potential people who are just interested in a fandom. Saying to a newcomer to a fandom “oh you can’t be in here you have to be a fan of x to be part of this fandom” is fucking bullshit.

Gatekeeeping is one reason why fandoms nowadays are so toxic

6 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

There IS alot wrong with gatekeeping. It drives away potential people who are just interested in a fandom. Saying to a newcomer to a fandom “oh you can’t be in here you have to be a fan of x to be part of this fandom” is fucking bullshit.

Reminds me of those people on Minecraft who tried to weed out all the new players (or "newfags") under the guise of noble "incursions" because the newcomers didn't know the lore (which... of course they didn't, they were new and everyone has to start somewhere) and to save their oh-so precious queue times which shouldn't have mattered to them in the first place because THEY WERE ALREADY IN THE SERVER THEREFORE DID NOT NEED TO WAIT FOR THE QUEUES TO DIE DOWN. Jfc. One of the reasons I never played Minecraft.

12 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

#BuildThatVKWall No, but seriously, I hate pretentious assholes who think just because they've been into something longer that everyone coming into it have dues to pay, like there's no way I'd fuck with gya because of that shit.