psychonnect_rozen

Album that you love but fans hate?

Macabre by Dir En Grey takes the pick.

Ask any Diru fan and they’ll say Macabre is their worst. I actually hated this album at first, but have grown to love it (To be fair, I like every Diru album so...lol). 

It’s such a diverse album compared to Gauze and was even surprised that a lot of people don’t like it. It’s a lot more heavier and experimental, although I do think it’s hard for newer fans to get into. 

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

8 minutes ago, Bear said:

Is it? Isn't Macabre pretty much universally loved among the fans, and generally considered a VK classic?

It’s reputation is polarizing to say the least. It’s one of those albums where if you love it, you absolutely love it and if you hate it, you absolutely despise it.

It’s the one that is usually disliked among TMOAB (that album is my least fav) and The Insulated World (Love this one tho). Most fans of the heavier stuff don’t like the old stuff. 

15 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

Macabre by Dir En Grey takes the pick.

Ask any Diru fan and they’ll say Macabre is their worst. I actually hated this album at first, but have grown to love it (To be fair, I like every Diru album so...lol). 

It’s such a diverse album compared to Gauze and was even surprised that a lot of people don’t like it. It’s a lot more heavier and experimental, although I do think it’s hard for newer fans to get into. 

To be honest I think The Insulated World is utter dogshit compared to every single one of their albums XD Yes, even TMOAB which I believe to be MASSIVELY underrated. 

Macabre is brilliant though :)

Just now, nullmoon said:

The Gazette's Toxic album. Everyone hates on it but I think it's one of their better ones XD 

Toxic is fantastic! Catchy ass songs. Stacked Rubbish will always be the best album they have put out though XD

3 minutes ago, nullmoon said:

TMOAB which I believe to be MASSIVELY underrated. 

I will agree there. The reason I did not like TMOAB was just the screaming. It gets annoying after a while and I can’t find myself casually listening to it.

I like the Insulated World because it was a more laid back album and was just a fun one. The only thing that sucks about was the production, it’s horrible, but I never really cared honestly.

I don't believe that a the gazette "fan" can hate on toxic.i mean what's there to be hated? One of the most impressive things about this band is that their whole discography is simply stellar ,just some albums more epic than others. Like dim and dogma.

Beautiful Freaks by MERRY. I understand it's cuz it takes a different route than all their usual stuff, but it's still precious to me as it's my first vk album and it really got me into the band.

1 minute ago, suji said:

Beautiful Freaks by MERRY. I understand it's cuz it takes a different route than all their usual stuff, but it's still precious to me as it's my first vk album and it really got me into the band.

We could add their self-titled album to this, can't we? I feel like everyone dislikes it, but I really like it.

Just now, Bear said:

We could add their self-titled album to this, can't we? I feel like everyone dislikes it, but I really like it.

Really? I see that album praised all the time, although Modern Garde usually overshadows it

2 hours ago, nullmoon said:

The Gazette's Toxic album. Everyone hates on it but I think it's one of their better ones XD 

Agreed, Toxic is really good.

1 hour ago, Takato said:

TODAY by DEZERT (it wasn't so bad)

I enjoyed it every song on it and I don't know if I can say the same for all their albums.

1 hour ago, chipathy said:

12012's self titled LMAO 

My favourite of theirs! 

I don't know if it's hated per se, but D's VAMPIRE SAGA is criminally underrated. I get most people prefer their older work, but this is the album that got me into the band and it's still my favourite.

The ones you mentioned, plus The End of the World and Myakuhaku by Mucc... tell it to the purists, I liked as much as the older releases, I love when a band goes beyond their range being sure of their skills!!

51 minutes ago, Paraph said:

Kagrra, - 京

But this isn't very disliked is it? Isn't all their albums and EPs up until and including Shizuku generally well liked? And with Core the fans got a bit divided, but with Shu and Hyakki Kenran most fans were really disappointed.

But I don't really follow the community today so I don't know what albums are seen as good or bad, but back when batsu was active and last.fm was still active you'd never see anything negative about the albums up until Shizuku. But things obviously change over the years, and albums that were much liked loose their popularity and vice versa. That can have happened as far as I know, because I ain't exactly very active in the jrock/vk community anymore.

7 minutes ago, Bear said:

But this isn't very disliked is it? Isn't all their albums and EPs up until and including Shizuku generally well liked? And with Core the fans got a bit divided, but with Shu and Hyakki Kenran most fans were really disappointed.

no idea about now, but when it was released it was very ill-received (at least in online western communities) i remember people saying it was boring. it feels like a refreshing gem when listening today and blows a lot of the current scene out of the water.

Edited by Paraph

5 minutes ago, Paraph said:

no idea about now, but when it was released it was very ill-received (at least in online western communities)

I see. I din't know that. I got into Kagrra a couple of years later, but at that time (06-ish) it was very highly regarded and often highly recommended to new fans or people who just very curious alongside San. Stunning album btw, but that goes for the bands' entire discography. Even their last two albums.

2 hours ago, chipathy said:

12012's self titled LMAO 

👏👏 I honestly enjoyed their comeback sound. It was really hit or miss, but when it did hit it was good. "Hesitation" and "Door to the sky"(not on S/T I know)  are so incredibly underrated. 

Albums I wanted to add have already been mentioned, but I just want to add that I actually like Taiyou no Ao. I've seen a lot of distaste for the song around here, but the bass playing on it is killer.

cali gari's 11. It may not bet outright hated by the band's fanbase, but i've seen some people here and there deriding it, and i dunno, it's just not that awful for me.