psychonnect_rozen

Why do western fans get more shit than Japanese fans?

I say this because on most of the Visual Kei accounts on Instagram that I follow, many people are criticizing fans, mainly Gazette fans, for not respecting the whole no pictures rule and calling them out when they post videos of the concert onto social media

My take on this is follow the damn rules. If the band says not to do something, don’t do it. I understand that not ALL western fans are like this, but its the reason why people dislike the Western crowd.

Im pretty out of the loop as to what is going on so someone give me an explanation.

EDIT: A lot of people are saying that the whole no pictures thing is stupid. As much as I like taking pics and vids of concerts, you have to understand why. People just don’t like the lights in their face. It distracts the people performing. I believe that any band is allowed to make rules at concerts. If you don’t like them, then suck it up. Don’t need to complain 

Edited by psychonnect_rozen
Grammar

Japanese fans get hate too, but for different reasons. There's a lot of elitism in the west about who's a "real" fan and who ain't which leads to a lot of silly arguments that make us all look bad, whereas in Japan, it tends to be more about "hE's MiNe AnD hE cAn'T gEt MaRrIeD bEcAuSe I sAiD sO rEeEeE". Granted, that does happen sometimes in the west too, but to a much lesser extent. You're right about following the rules, and that is one of the other big reasons western fans get hate.

Also, a lot of western visual kei fans don’t speak/read Japanese, so they don’t know what’s happening in the Japanese part of the fandom at all. So if all these fans are only interacting with other western fans, then you’re only going to hear about problems with western fans.

no pictures is bullshit and fuck any band who tries to enforce that in foreign lands.

take those mothefuckers out of the damn pedestal. In japan they can do as they please, it's their culture and any tourist should follow the locals. Now the snowflakes expect people from another country, a whole another concert culture to abide by their arbitrary rules on a concert they paid some expensive AF ticket to be there, just to not be able to take a picture, or record a personal video, because the band said so? yeah, right.

This is business. They do overseas concerts because they have something to gain, not because they like our pretty faces or are doing us some favor or smh

Edited by chemicalpictures

20 minutes ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

No pictures is a stupid policy, and everyone shilling it like their honmei will see their posts and give them some fucc as a "thank you" are dumb x

But Japanese fans don’t care. Any band can have rules at the concert. Like or not, just respect them

8 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

take those mothefuckers out of the damn pedestal.

I'm lukewarm on the no-pictures policies (venue photography ppl typically have better opportunities to take pics anyway), but this part is a kii.

to re-iterate what you've written, you can either —

- pay for Japanese visa + traveling + staying expenses (provided you're legible) and be forced to comply, or

- pay for local traveling + expenses and get the same concert experience w gross local trade jerking off at shinya

considering international touring literally led to bands over-estimating white gya purchasing power and disbanding as a result I'm down for less touring outside of Japan tbh.

9 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

They do overseas concerts because they have something to gain

「an illusion≠ of ≠re:levancy」 in most cases x

1 hour ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

But Japanese fans don’t care. Any band can have rules at the concert. Like or not, just respect them

Japanese fans don’t care, because they see their favourite band so often that they wouldn’t even remember which concert each individual photo would be from.

If a particular concert is a “one and done” for any given foreign fan, you’ll have to forgive them for wanting a full concert experience according to the concert norms of where they are.

You can read a little more discussion from a similar topic here.

Personally I wouldn't take pictures, but then again I also expect a little more from a VIP/M&G, so you can only ask so much from both sides.

We get more shit than Japanese fans because we do dumb shit in English. 

As far as "no pictures at the concert goes", I turned off my flash and took several dozen pictures over the course of the show. I didn't have flash on and I was near the back, so they didn't see me at all. I think they say no pictures because they don't want people recording the show on their phones, and it's unreasonable to expect anyone to identify what someone is doing with their phone in the middle of a concert. A blanket rule like that to stop piracy makes sense, but I think piracy is a distant second to presentation. Visual kei bands are all about looks and presentation and they always want to look their best. I really think the band didn't want anyone recording or taking pictures of the concert because they want to publish the pictures they like best. My hunch is supported by what one of the announcers said before the NYC show; paraphrasing here but it was "no need to record this show tonight because we are recording it for you". A band that is all about visuals relies heavily on the first impression, and that impression is ruined if the first recordings of THE NINTH WORLD TOUR is a scratchy home made tereko recorded from someone's phone, or blurry pictures taken from the center of the mosh pit.

*Shrug*, a shitty tereko on YouTube resulted in them earning an extra shirt sale via my husband, who was impressed with Ruki’s Vocals. It was too late to fly him out to Toronto specifically, but had the concert been a few hours drive away, he certainly would have bought a ticket based on the footage.

This is the reason why I don’t think VK will ever regain the momentum that it had 10-12 years back. The fan base spreads according to Western methods of promotion, like file sharing, magazine scans, concert photos/videos, and sharing PVs on YouTube. 

Then once the bands actually get here, they ignore all of those methods that created buzz for them in the first place and pretend that it just happened overnight by magic. And from there, it just fizzles.