JimHarper

Zilch and the 3.2.1. album

Good evening everyone!

As I've mentioned before, Zilch were my gateway into visual kei and Japanese rock and general, so I wanted to start a thread about them and get some discussion the 3.2.1. album. I'm no fan of Skyjin, not just because it's a poor album but also because it was  (IMO) a blatant attempt (orchestrated by Ray McVeigh) to cash in on hide's fame and his death. That's why original bassist Paul Raven wasn't involved. He was invited, but rejected any possibility of playing again as Zilch without hide.

Obviously Zilch was hide's plan to create an English-language band but also a more industrial rock-inclined one than his solo works. Picking Paul Raven as bass player was an ideal choice, not just for his aggressive playing style but also for his background, including British post-punk legends Killing Joke and industrial metal favourites Prong (later on he would play and record with several other legendary bands, including Ministry, Godflesh and Treponem Pal). Danzig drummer Joey Castillo has since become a major figure, playing with Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal and Nine Inch Nails. Rhythm guitarist Ray McVeigh's claim to fame was briefly playing in a band with two members of the Sex Pistols called The Professionals, but has attracted little other fame or success that hasn't resulted from his association with hide.

One of the main contentions levelled at 3.2.1. is that it relies heavily on English versions of previously released material, but the issue isn't quite as clear as that. Although it wasn't released until July 1998, the album was recorded in 1996. When I talked to him about the album, Raven told me that despite hide's desire to release material and tour in the US, their attempts to find a North American record label were completely unsuccessful: hide had no 'name value' in America and his vocals were considered too bizarre and incomprehensible.

Anyway.  Out of the 12 tracks on the album, 5 have appeared in a different form: Inside the Pervert Mound (a.k.a. Leatherface), Swampsnake, What's Up Mr. Jones? (a.k.a. Drain), Doubt and Pose. We can leave aside the cover version of the Sensational Alex Harvey Band's Swampsnake obviously :)

What's Up Mr. Jones? previously appeared as Drain on X-Japan's final album Dahlia, released in 1996. According to Wikipedia, that album was recorded between July '93 and July '96, so it's possible it was written at roughly the same time as the Zilch material, which would make it seem less of a rehashed old track. However, it could also have been written years before, so that's impossible to determine without further evidence.

Inside the Pervert Mound would later appear in a reworked, Japanese-language version on hide's final album Ja, Zoo, eventually released four months after the 3.2.1. album. According to Raven, he was present at the writing session when the track was developed as a new song, it's title inspired by a Killing Joke song Raven appeared on, called Inside the Termite Mound (other Killing Joke connections can be found: KJ singer Jaz and guitarist Geordie both appear on Fuctrack6; Psyche is also the title of a famous KJ song; guest drummer Chris Vrenna has also played with them, meaning that one entire lineup of KJ appear on the album!). If Raven is correct, then Inside the Termite Mound is almost certainly a Zlich track that was later reworked for Ja, Zoo. Given that hide was under pressure to complete that album, this is not impossible.

Pose was first released on hide's second album Psyence, released in September 1996. This timing places it close to the writing and recording of the Zlich album. It's possible therefore that it was conceived in two versions, a more industrial rock version for 3.2.1. and a more expanded, electro-influenced one for Psyence. The Zilch version has a simpler structure that appears to have been added to and built upon for the Psyence version, which could indicate the solo version is essentially a remix of a Zilch original. This is only one possible interpretation however.

We do know that Zilch were involved in the Psyence sessions. They're credited with backing vocals on the song Bacteria. A PV for this song was prepared (although it wasn't released as a single), but as we can see here, it's not Spread Beaver or the musicians credited on Psyence performing the song with hide, it's Raven, McVeigh and Castillo of Zilch:

This video has been titled as a Zilch track, but Bacteria was only ever released as a hide song.

And finally, since it was first released in a Japanese-language form as a b-side (to the 50% & 50% single) in 1993, Doubt is the only song we can firmly date to before the Zilch era.

I think the rather long-winding point I'm trying to make is that not necessarily all of the Zilch tracks are simply reworked versions of Japanese originals, and that the dividing line between solo hide and Zilch is a lot more blurred and 'shades of grey' that you might think.  It will always be a favourite album for me regardless, but I thought it was worth doing some research into the issues surrounded its production.

Thank you for your time and patience, and I'd love to hear what anyone has to say about both band and album. Much appreciated!

Very fucking good album, it's really a pity hide had to pass when he did. I feel like this project could've had some real potential if they'd stuck around for longer. I remember 3. 2. 1. being one of the first jrock-related albums I REALLY got into back when I first started listening to Japanese music, and I think it might be one of my most-played albums of all time, actually. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I personally even prefer it to a large percentage of X Japan's output. Never knew the album was  so connected to Killing Joke tho, that's pretty damn cool.

Also, I always felt like Fucktrack6 was partially a reworking of hide's Frozen Bug, there's SOME similar parts, anyways

Edited by Tokage

I can agree with a lot of that. I love X-Japan, but Zilch was the first for me. It's definitely one of my most-listened albums of all time too.

Losing Raven back in 2007 was such a big loss not just because I'm a huge Killing Joke fan, but because he was part of Zilch too. I still think that album stands as a fine legacy for both of them.