Mephistopheles

Gifts/Haul Thread - Post things you received as presents or bought yourself!

Merry Christmas 2017 to all who celebrate it.

I thought it would be interesting to see what gifts people received or what they may have purchased for themselves? Even if it is not related to Christmas, I would love to see what people are proud of buying or things they received as gifts at any point in the year!

To start, here is mine and my fiance's Christmas haul from the in-laws, and the Instax Mini 9 that my fiance gave me,

25013072_388876571540931_57408229648115925013260_2006167729618072_31101236101743

Looks like you got a lot of cute stuff! I've been thinking about getting an Instax camera but I think I want it more for the novelty and the cute film than actually putting it to good use, so I've been lukewarm on buying one for the past couple of years.

My husband and I don't really exchange presents in the "traditional sense" anymore, but we went on a Christmas date that he paid most of, and while on the date we saw some winter items he could use so I bought that. Yay memories over stuff. ❤️

A few weeks before I'd put in an order at Sephora to get some stuff for friends, and added the Kat Von D Saints & Sinners palette to my cart. It has a lot of colors I'll get a lot of use out of at lives/events and the packaging is brilliant. 😍 (image credit @gothicbrat on Reddit)

rsz_1twb22o31suqz.jpg

My family, for the most part, didn't exchange because we'd already pooled quite a bit of money to attend my mom's wedding the month prior, except for my grandparents, who shopped for themselves and then sent us the bill lol... (But then later gave us double that money as our present.)

Overall it was pretty win-win since I didn't have much wrapping or international mailing to do, and Christmas was pretty stress free.

Edited by jaymee

1 hour ago, jaymee said:

Looks like you got a lot of cute stuff! I've been thinking about getting an Instax camera but I think I want it more for the novelty and the cute film than actually putting it to good use, so I've been lukewarm on buying one for the past couple of years.

My husband and I don't really exchange presents in the "traditional sense" anymore, but we went on a Christmas date that he paid most of, and while on the date we saw some winter items he could use so I bought that. Yay memories over stuff. ❤️

A few weeks before I'd put in an order at Sephora to get some stuff for friends, and added the Kat Von D Saints & Sinners palette to my cart. It has a lot of colors I'll get a lot of use out of at lives/events and the packaging is brilliant. 😍 (image credit @gothicbrat on Reddit)

rsz_1twb22o31suqz.jpg

My family, for the most part, didn't exchange because we'd already pooled quite a bit of money to attend my mom's wedding the month prior, except for my grandparents, who shopped for themselves and then sent us the bill lol... (But then later gave us double that money as our present.)

Overall it was pretty win-win since I didn't have much wrapping or international mailing to do, and Christmas was pretty stress free.

My fiance and I normally do not exchange gifts any longer either, but she surprised me regardless because I have been coveting an instax but I am terrible about buying something that will solely be for me. That palette does have incredible packaging! I have the Saint and Sinner perfumes and I have the Sinner Lip Liner and Liquid Lipstick. I was going to purchase the eyeshadow palette but when I did swatches the colors did not appear vivid on my skin-tone (I have dark skin) so I was a bit dissapointed about that, but it looks stunning on your swatches! Thank goodness for a stress-free Christmas!

I'm the type of guy who don't celebrate christmas and I don't give away christmas presents. Which means I don't receive too many either. But I got a handful of presents from people at work anyway. The best one was the gift I got from the kid I work with (2nd grader). A SUPER MARIO mug and a Bowser coaster (top right).

Really appreciated those. Been using them a couple of times daily ever since I got them last friday. Had to open it together with the kid who got 'em for me as he was really keen on seeing my reaction to it.

And I got a bag full og spekepølse (cured sausages?). Contained a shitload of different type of cured sausages, some meant to eat with bread and similar food and some meant to be eaten together with a beer. Featured a knife and a coffee mug made out of wood as well. Really appreciated this too. Can never get enough food, and this is the type of food I never get enough of. It's expensive as fuck, so I never really buy it for myself.

Other than that what I got was mostly crap tbh. I know my co-workers meant well and all and that is nice, but it doesn't change the fact that it's useless crap that I'll never use.

- Herschel x Hudson's Bay backpack. I *really* wanted this, so bad, especially for traveling and if I work as a teacher. I've never owned anything from either company before. Needless to say I'm in love with it. I love the fleece lining inside. Not huge on brand names, I just wanted a decent backpack and I like Hudson's Bay's signature colours. lol Thanks, parentals!

- Holga camera, but it's not here yet.

- Some noice clothes.

- A lot of chocolate.

Got gift cards so going to buy a sweater I saw in H&M and also buy some decent pants because I got rid of most of my winter wardrobe.

9 hours ago, jiji94 said:

- Herschel x Hudson's Bay backpack. I *really* wanted this, so bad, especially for traveling and if I work as a teacher. I've never owned anything from either company before. Needless to say I'm in love with it. I love the fleece lining inside. Not huge on brand names, I just wanted a decent backpack and I like Hudson's Bay's signature colours. lol Thanks, parentals!

- Holga camera, but it's not here yet.

- Some noice clothes.

- A lot of chocolate.

Got gift cards so going to buy a sweater I saw in H&M and also buy some decent pants because I got rid of most of my winter wardrobe.

I love a good bag! I like to travel a lot and a sturdy and stylish bag is always icing on the cake. Your haul sounds fantastic! I am glad you received things you can not only enjoy, but things that are functional and long lasting.

10 hours ago, Bear said:

I'm the type of guy who don't celebrate christmas and I don't give away christmas presents. Which means I don't receive too many either. But I got a handful of presents from people at work anyway. The best one was the gift I got from the kid I work with (2nd grader). A SUPER MARIO mug and a Bowser coaster (top right).

Really appreciated those. Been using them a couple of times daily ever since I got them last friday. Had to open it together with the kid who got 'em for me as he was really keen on seeing my reaction to it.

And I got a bag full og spekepølse (cured sausages?). Contained a shitload of different type of cured sausages, some meant to eat with bread and similar food and some meant to be eaten together with a beer. Featured a knife and a coffee mug made out of wood as well. Really appreciated this too. Can never get enough food, and this is the type of food I never get enough of. It's expensive as fuck, so I never really buy it for myself.

Other than that what I got was mostly crap tbh. I know my co-workers meant well and all and that is nice, but it doesn't change the fact that it's useless crap that I'll never use.

Food and food related items make incredible gifts! I am sorry you received some items you did not like, but I am glad there were things you really enjoyed.

@MephistophelesYou received some really cute household items. I had no idea they had those cameras in my favorite shade of purple, it's so cute. Might get myself one eventually.

Christmas haul was:

- Organic Coconut body cream and hand cream as well as Burts Bees lip balm. Can never go wrong with these items, specially when they're organic and from great brands so I'm very happy

-More lipsticks and lip balms collection from a friend. I'm stocked up for 2018

- Me and my sister are splitting the price on some The Sims 4 expansions and that's our gift for one another this year lol

- Nier Automata and some new boots with wool lining for winter. 

- I'm a super chicken lover and I got this beautiful print. Still need to find a place to put it.

Spoiler

2ur83nm.jpg

7 hours ago, Mephistopheles said:

Food and food related items make incredible gifts! I am sorry you received some items you did not like, but I am glad there were things you really enjoyed.

It is. And it is something you'll never get enough of. And especially at this price. I know that the two big ones alone cost about $40 each and the four medium sized ones cost between $24-30 each. So it's not exactly cheap food either.

My family and I only buy gifts for the children these days, as we can buy our own crap haha.

With that said, I went ahead and upgraded my audio equipment to something more modern.

Spoiler

Schiit Audio Magni 3 + Modi 2 Uber, also known as a Schiit Stack.

KTmLXlE.png

I also ordered the Sennheiser HD6XX and the HD58X from Massdrop, but those won't arrive until March-June haha.

This is a cool topic

I got:

Two books

A handful of creams, lotions and other stuff for my super crappy skin

A "new" iPod (new because the previous one broke, but we got it second hand lol)

Some kitchen utensils yay!

And I got myself a bunch of Jiluka merch.

Edited by Komorebi

On 27.12.2017 at 4:36 PM, YuyoDrift said:

My family and I only buy gifts for the children these days, as we can buy our own crap haha.

With that said, I went ahead and upgraded my audio equipment to something more modern.

Hide contents

Schiit Audio Magni 3 + Modi 2 Uber, also known as a Schiit Stack.

KTmLXlE.png

I also ordered the Sennheiser HD6XX and the HD58X from Massdrop, but those won't arrive until March-June haha.

Great buy! I own Schiit Mani and I couldn't be happier with it. Solid piece of gear!

I arrived home from work the other day and received some wonderful surprises. Mine and my fiance's Pusheen Box for Winter 2017 arrived, and my mother, step-father, step-brother, step-sister, and brother sent a Christmas Gift package as well with a brand new  iPhone 8, tea, snacks, and magnets. What a pleasant surprise indeed!

25017332_2058876514350067_1929237972935225025383_193805254508488_289087638739091