Spike760

Dir en grey

1 hour ago, Saishu said:

Arche is just the worse. Loud and sterile like the band is playing in a giant room with aluminum walls. 

Actually, Arche is not as bad. It's loud but has a much cleaner sound. TIW feels like they threw overdrive over everything on top of whacking it all up to '11'.

4 hours ago, Saishu said:

It’s amazing that pretty much all of music has been compressed to shit for the last 20 years or so and some of us still can’t deal with it.  Like Arche is just the worse. Loud and sterile like the band is playing in a giant room with aluminum walls. 

You're literally wrong

15 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Production =/= mixing =/= mastering.

Needless pedantry tbh. When laymen say "Production", they are not referring to the sole process of recording tracks. That's just disconnected from how people talk. Furthermore, "production" -- the assembly -- of the product can be as loose or strict as you want it to be in a given context (i.e. a modern record producer and their role in music production).

Edited by geist

6 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Actually, Arche is not as bad. It's loud but has a much cleaner sound. TIW feels like they threw overdrive over everything on top of whacking it all up to '11'.

I mean, you say clean, I say sterile. I’m already on record here saying how much I hate Tue Madsen’s sound, but Arche is the best of the three DEG records he was involved with. 

Not to say TiW doesn’t have issues. The dynamics are fucked, but it stil sounds more organic than DSS or whatever the hell that Uroboros remaster is. 

at the end of the day Kisou is still the worse sounding DEG album though. 

Kisou's sounds honestly never really bothered me. It sounds thin to me and sometimes sounds like it's playing through a plastic tube, but I've always thought that was a stylistic choice. At the very least it has personality and has a diverse sound palette. 

TIW sound has the character of a deep fried piece of mozzarella dipped in stone cold marinara. Every track sounds like it's a radio rip or something. I'd take a rain soaked copy of a La:Sadie's demo tape over TIW's sound any day. 

16 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Production =/= mixing =/= mastering.

Production is song creation, choosing instruments, recording them, crafting them to get the right atmosphere for the project.

Mixing is the balance of the stems recorded for each song.

Mastering is making sure all songs across an album are balanced the same, and getting the final 'sound' of the album with effects like EQ and compression.

For example, The Insulated World is a pretty well-produced album (a little laziness in writing aside). The mix is okay, but it's absolutely destroyed by an atrocious master that makes everything sound far too compressed, creating a fatiguing listen.

This is generally true, but unless you're talking about specific instances of EQ and mixing decisions, it's hard to delineate between a production or mixing issue, so it's perfectly fine to just call it "production." For instance, you can say the guitars are muddy on TIW, but there's not really a way to specify that being an "error" in mixing specifically since we weren't in the room with the engineer. It might have resulted from the way they chose to record them

Edited by StriderSubzero

Just now, Seelentau said:

On a more serious note: I'm still happy that I don't have an ear for music lol

I like how TIW sounds, so I also don't have an ear for music, I guess.
But yeah, good for you not to argue about this stuff over and over 😅

Hmm, when I listen to those albums, I don't even notice the stuff you guys always mention.

Or maybe I do, but can't accurately describe them.

The only thing I usually notice is when there are weird sounds in the song. For example, in the live version of Followers on the single, Shinya makes a weird sound later into the song, which I immediately noticed.

I also noticed that the intro of the CS remakse sounds weird, but I wouldn't be able to describe why.

2 hours ago, Seelentau said:

Hmm, when I listen to those albums, I don't even notice the stuff you guys always mention.

Or maybe I do, but can't accurately describe them.

The only thing I usually notice is when there are weird sounds in the song. For example, in the live version of Followers on the single, Shinya makes a weird sound later into the song, which I immediately noticed.

I also noticed that the intro of the CS remakse sounds weird, but I wouldn't be able to describe why.

Shinya makes a weird sound?!

2 hours ago, Seelentau said:

For example, in the live version of Followers on the single, Shinya makes a weird sound later into the song, which I immediately noticed.

Could you give a timestamp, please?

35 minutes ago, Seelentau said:

At 3:32, when Kyo begins the last verse, there's a "TSCHING"-kinda sound.

I think you’re just hearing the hi-hat bleeding into the crash cymbal. 

37 minutes ago, Seelentau said:

Don't know what it is, all I know is that I immediately noticed it as something "off" in the song.

Maybe it's just me, dunno^^

Hearing something off in DEG lives is very common, lol

3 hours ago, Seelentau said:

At 3:32, when Kyo begins the last verse, there's a "TSCHING"-kinda sound.

I'm surprised no one here has gone digging for the Audience recordings yet to find out exactly what's going on. It appears to be a combination of Shinya hitting two cymbals at once (crash and something else) in addition to the synth.

The Live in question:

Live from Cleveland on the same tour with a better view of Shinya:

1 hour ago, Saishu said:

He’s only hitting one cymbal. It’s one of those crashes with the big holes around it. Makes them sound like crash/splash hybrid

Correct, I believe drummers refer to it as a "trash crash" because of the holes cut into it and how the sound is altered as a result -- which can veer towards a sort-of "white noise" sound depending on its design.

I was mistaken and thought the shadow cast by the cymbal was another cymbal. Otherwise, yes, it's the cymbal and synth presumably causing that sound. 

Edited by geist
autism

On 8/10/2020 at 6:20 AM, Saishu said:

It’s amazing that pretty much all of music has been compressed to shit for the last 20 years or so and some of us still can’t deal with it.  Like Arche is just the worse. Loud and sterile like the band is playing in a giant room with aluminum walls. 

Imo Arche is probably the worst recording in their catalogue. I can't handle all the reverb that make it sound like they're playing in a church. Shinya's snare is ear wrecking. They even managed to top DSS in terms of bad recording/mixing/production/whatever.

Compared to Arche I feel like TIW is very well done, especially for the metalcore-ish sound that they were going for. It's not great but it definitely can hold up against other bands in the same range of music

Edited by TheTrendkiller