Spike760

Dir en grey

The song is cool, but it definitely does not need the length it has. The ‚musical message‘ comes across kind of sloppy that way, I don‘t feel a development, climax or break or anything that would ‚justify’ the length. The piano part, atmospheric part etc. are cool, the ‚freak out‘ parts are so much out of place and do not fit. 

Thats my first impression at least, will write here if my impression changes after more listens.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:13 PM, psychonnect_rozen said:

I wonder if there is some recordings or at least flyers or any physical remnants of the members former bands like DIE:STERIA, Ruby, Ka.Za.Ri. That would be cool 

Ka-za-ri has at least one demo tape actually: https://www.discogs.com/Kazari-Close-My/release/10998688

It's not terribly hard to find. The quality is awful but some of the songs are actually pretty cool 

Edited by StriderSubzero

dudes, Metallica aren't the band that made Ride the Lightning anymore, they're a mainstream rock institution now. there's a huge pressure for them to keep their finger on the pulse of what's going on in their general periphery of the music world. I'm not sure but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

as for the single, uhh, it's clear they still have a knack for actual moody songwriting-there are still glimmers of it-but the "metal" parts remain boilerplate and drag everything down. par for the course for me.

Edited by hopefully_benign

where can I find the live versions of all the songs in "the insulated world" album?

Any idea anyone?

Edited by FOSCOR70

I... hate to say it but I agree that the single is boring. If I wanted something that was identical to this song in terms of length and experimentation, I’d go and listen to anything else they’ve put out in the past 10 years or so. This single was honestly probably just a Sukekiyo outtake and decided to release it as Dir en grey just for the sake of keeping the band name still relevant.

I still don't get the trend of calling everything sub-par DEG does,  a Sukekiyo outtake.

Two Very different bands. 

And its already been made known that this is two tracks Shinya and Kaoru brought to the table and Kyo made the suggestion of putting em together.

If anything Mercy is pretty much a TIW leftover.

Edited by Ro plz

Plotwist: Takumi is support member of Dir en grey

:kyo:

no, the song is not really sukekiyo, the beginning part gave me a bit of their vibe but that‘s about it.

Plus, I find myself skipping to the 5 minutes part or so (where the heavy guitars kick in), I can‘t really appreciate the song as a whole piece.

Edit: and I mean, Infinitum already kinda felt like a leftover compilation, so was this then the leftover of the leftover?

:kyo:

Edited by cheesy_VK_Freak

TWOM really does sound like a mash up of several ideas. It's pieced together so poorly though with no real cohesion. Cool sounds here and there, I like the doom-metal vibes in the first third of the song and the more post-metal-y vibes in the latter third. But, this might be one of the worst songs they've released. 10 minutes of no direction and no real hooks or riffs. No offense, but next time please kindly leave your ideas at the door Kyo.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:35 AM, The Moon said:

they're out hun x 

out where hun? Do you mean the youtube versions posted by fans with their phones? 

Edited by FOSCOR70