Spike760

Dir en grey

On 01/11/2017 at 6:39 PM, desertflower304 said:

anyone believe there's any possibility we'll get a NEW album soon? even late spring is probably too early right, since they're still working on vestige and all? summer maybe? they just toured for an unbelievably long time.. i want them to rest because that can't be healthy but i'm selfish and want to see them. i can't go to japan and NOT see them.

Their output over the last few albums has been roughly the same. There's usually an entire year between releases. I predict a second single sometime between 6 months to a year after VESTIGE OF SCRATCHES and then a full-length album a year after that. By that point we'll be absolutely fucking bored of Utafumi and it won't fit on the LP at all (also see: Hageshisa to...).

I imagine the next time they'll tour near me will be in 2019/2020 to coincide with the LP.

Edit: Yes, I'm jaded, but we all know this is exactly what they're going to do.

Edited by Nowhere Girl

It may be depressing but their output has reduced dramatically. Kisou, six Ugly, and VULGAR all released in less than two years of each other (not to mention all the singles for those LPs). Nowadays, they are really focussed on touring their material as much as possible and writing is almost non-existent. Maybe they want quality rather than quantity. It does mean that any new release is appreciated more. However, I'd really love to hear some more raw, experimental stuff from them.

Almost every band member has a solo project now, so there's plenty of other music to listen to by them, even if it doesn't quite scratch the DEG itch.

50 minutes ago, dannemannen said:

What are the members even doing with all their time? I know that they have some side projects, but other than that?

From the left:

Kaoru has talk events and writes a blog, there's some merchandise involved in that as well.

Toshiya has DIRT, it also seems like Ster Edge became a regular thing?

Kyo has sukekiyo, madaraningen, The Zemeckises, solo exhibition in spring, he participated in Sugizo's solo album as well.

Shinya has SERAPH and networking with all other bandomen, he's probably the most busy one xD he just participated in Halloween Party 2017 event.

Die has DECAYS, occasionally he collaborates to produce some leather or silver goods.

Some of them probably help their kouhai/younger musician friends with producing, but I can't remember any names on top of my head.

To be fair, most of the more prominent VK acts from the late 90s/early 00s have slowed down. Remember when MUCC released singles every couple months and had a new album every year? Merry isn’t as active either. 

These dudes are in their 40s and they’re established acts. They don’t need to work constantly anymore. 

I prefer it this way tbh. More friendly to my wallet. 😂

And by the way some of you complaining about some newer bands keep releasing stuffs so quickly and connect them to quality loss, I am sure you feel the same way too. 😂

22 hours ago, Saishu said:

These dudes are in their 40s and they’re established acts. They don’t need to work constantly anymore. 

Surely it's easier to stay at home and write music than go on eternal, exhausting tours that last years. But if they did that, they wouldn't be reaffirming they exist and making money in the process. Plus, tours keep the fans happy (at least, those in Japan... screw everyone else).

18 hours ago, LIDL said:

I prefer it this way tbh. More friendly to my wallet. 😂

This is so true. :/

It’s only friendly to your wallet if you’re not a member of a knot, otherwise you have access to a ton of other DVDs they’ve released in the past few months. 

Or you can get yourself a bunch of madaraningen stuff and cry (happily) eating cup ramen till the next payday...

But speaking of DVDs I wonder if they will announce the last batch this month?

It is good that I barely even listened to Utafumi so it will feel fresh when they finally release a new album. Not that I really liked Utafumi in the first place, I thought it was a bit uninspired, but maybe within the context and atmosphere of a new album it will sound better. Time will tell.

I've hardly listed to Utafumi either. Maybe 5 or 6 times. When Hageshisa to... came out, I was hyped after UROBOROS and listened to it fairly often, and it lost its appeal with the two year wait for DUM SPIRO SPERO. Didn't help that the re-recording was mixed badly. That song is horrendously overplayed.

Tbh, I like Utafumi. It reminds me a little of the Withering/MARROW era. The only part which isn't as good for me is the break; Kyo's vocals sound tired and awkward for some reason.

On 10/26/2017 at 12:17 PM, nekkichi said:

I wonder why this was never discussed before than, especially since Deg always had a p. active bi-lingual fanbase, it would've made news back in 2007 p. swift tbh

also considering penicillin, for example, released around 5 different CDs  for their XXth anniversary, assuming that noncomformist uncommercial queens diru did that release for papaw's benefit is kinda odd

cute fact about LP no one here will ever have a chance to see!

It might not have been discussed on here, but most people were on Livejournal in 2007 and I remember that we discussed it pretty heavily over there when it happened.  Some people were freaking out that DEG was going to get their CD's pulled off the shelves in Japan etc.  (Didn't happen.)  But it pretty much just went away as fast as it was a thing.

I think the release of Decade wasn't related to this though.  It came out only a few months later and would have already been in production at that time.

11 hours ago, radicalgarden said:

I think the release of Decade wasn't related to this though.  It came out only a few months later and would have already been in production at that time.

18 hours ago, radicalgarden said:

I think the release of Decade wasn't related to this though.  It came out only a few months later and would have already been in production at that time.

Totally agree. I'd think they plan big things like tours or releases at least a year in advance.