Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

Recommended Tracks: August 2017!

Recommended Tracks: August 2017!  

14 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Which tracks did you enjoy this month?

• "Black owl" by Leetspeak monsters
    • "ANGELNOIR" by Aoba Ichiko
    • "Watashimi" by Oomori Seiko
    • "Moumoku de aru ga Yue no Sogaikan" by MUCC
    • "Boku ga Hontou no Boku ni Taekirezu Tsukutta Hontou no Boku" by MUCC
    • "Akai Ito" by CLØWD
    • "Yuu Todoroki" by Marco
    • "World End Siren" by lical
    • "hotaru no hitomi" by anfiel
    • "natsu no kyakusen" by Uwanosora
    • "Ai toiu, hentai" by gibkiy gibkiy gibkiy

tumblr_ovkpxdCZJG1rfey86o1_1280.png

Greetings, MH! Another month, another batch of recommended tracks from the amazing ORZ team! 

Check them out and let us know what you think! :lleft:

(We apologize if some videos aren't available due to region restrictions!)

@doombox's Pick
"Black owl" by Leetspeak monsters
PROFILE.jpg
I'm a bit regretful I didn't hear about this band until they stepped up their monster-inspired theatrics and landed on the visual kei circuit this year. Especially as "Black Owl" isn't exactly a new song. It's been around for a few years now, but thankfully Leetspeak used it as the promotional track for their new mini album set to be released through GLK Music. And with how catchy the track is, it totally deserves a second spin for a new audience. Monster costumes and rap rock aren't the most original concept at this point, but it's been a while since a darkly-themed band came in not abiding by the hackneyed VK song structure. It was also a nice surprise to see an uncredited guest feature from Xavie (vocalist of revenge my LOST) even with his leftover fabric scrap cape (gold star for effort, I guess). If you're down for a bit of early Halloween fun, you should give this song a shot. 

Spoiler

@CAT5's Pick

"ANGELNOIR" by 青葉市子

"ANGELNOIR" by Aoba Ichiko

ILZq36B.png

I might just be a hopeless Ichiko Aoba fanboy (and I am :P), but I don't think it would be farfetched to call her one of the most outstanding Japanese musicians active today. Wielding virtuosic, classical guitar skills and an angelic croon that could melt even the toughest of hearts, she's paved her very own lane in the industry with a folk sound that could only be described as otherworldly. Even when she ventures outside of her usual, acoustic dwellings, she still invokes that same magical quality - whether she's working with quirky, electro-guru Cornelius or Jazzy hip-hop instrumentalists Ovall. Such is also the case on her latest collaboration "ANGELNOIR", produced by little-known indie-pop outfit detune. for the supernatural anime 18if. Ichiko's warm, yet enchanting vocals lead us through a mysterious mirage of intricately layered electronics and orchestral flourishes, underpinned by a calculated rhythm section. The song culminates beautifully in the chorus, with the backing guitars employing an airy, shoegazy effect for good measure. It's yet another testament to not only Ichiko's choice of quality collaborators, but her ability to create viable music regardless of context.

Spoiler

@qotka's Pick

"わたしみ" by 大森靖子

"Watashimi" by Oomori Seiko
PkvG2eu.jpg

Oomori is a tough one. She's been referred to as everything on the scale from 'nice/terrible meme' to 'the next Shiina Ringo' (still searching for clarifications on this last one). "わたしみ" was not what I was going to write about this month, but the magnitude of its punch when I first listened to it forced me to. This gust of raw energy is the coupling track for singer-songwriter's Seiko-chan's latest single, "draw (A) drow",  a song composed by TK of Ling Tosite Sigure, and it's as astonishing as you'd expect a power combo of this caliber to be. But if you want to hear what Oomori Seiko really is all about, I'll recommend starting from the b-side "わたしみ", because while it's not readily digestible, it lets a certain raw, soul-baring essence, something that usually dies once a song is recorded, shine through. This simple and mellow acoustic pop ballad starts with Seiko sounding really tired, and just as it builds up to a point of crushing breakdown, she literally breaks down into a shrieking a capella mess that to some may sound painful but also full of emotion. This is perhaps one of the best translations of how her songs sound live into a studio recording. If you like your singers-songwriters messy and over the top, you've found the one.

Spoiler

@Seimeisen's Picks
"盲目であるが故の疎外感"  by MUCC
"Moumoku de aru ga Yue no Sogaikan" by MUCC

o0960060014000533717.jpg
The absolute banger of 新痛絶 (Shin-tsuuzetsu)! On the original 痛絶 (Tsuuzetsu), "盲目であるが故の疎外感" was the penultimate track; on the second pressing, entitled 痛絶〜印象違〜 (Tsuuzetsu - Inshouchigai), it was the post-intro opener and really didn't feel like an opener at all. On 新痛絶, MUCC managed to take a 'near the end of the album' type of song and make it an exciting opener bursting through the doors to the "New Absolute Pain" that's ahead. All it took was a different key, a new 40 second intro, and an incredible new atmosphere. You don't even need that static intro track on 新痛絶, not with this gem.

Spoiler

Compare the two (first one is from 痛絶, second one is from 新痛絶)

"僕が本当の僕に耐えきれず造った本当の僕"  by MUCC
"Boku ga Hontou no Boku ni Taekirezu Tsukutta Hontou no Boku" by MUCC

o0960060014000533720.jpg
The greatest difference 新葬ラ謳 (Shin-homura Uta) has to offer. They really took this song and breathed life into it. I never really paid attention to the original on 葬ラ謳 (Homura Uta), it just never interested me, but this new one is absolutely outstanding! Another example of how playing a song in a different key can make quite a difference. Frankly, I never paid much attention to 葬ラ謳 in general, but the release of 新葬ラ謳, especially this new version of "僕が本当の僕に耐えきれず造った本当の僕 (Boku ga Hontou no Boku ni Taekirezu Tsukutta Hontou no Boku)," sparked a great interest in the album, both the original and the new, leading me to 'get to know' and grow to appreciate it. Some re-recordings may not live up to the originals, some might be just on par, but just a few, especially this track, blow the original out of the water.

Spoiler

Compare the two (first one is from 葬ラ謳, second one is from 新葬ラ謳)

@tetsu_sama69's Pick

"紅い意図" by CLØWD

"Akai Ito" by CLØWD
DGduCDYUIAEgx5s.jpg
I'm writing judgement tickets for anyone who's been passing up the chance to listen to anything CLØWD has put out. At the start you think with the slow opener this is just going to be another boring visual ballad, but that peaceful set-up is thrown out the window once the guitars kick in. CLØWD definitely shows off their veteran badges with "Akai Ito" by composing a song overflowing with powerful emotions. You can feel the tension of a struggling relationship within the flow of fervent instrumentals and passionate vocals. I've been hooked on CLØWD since they first popped up on the scene in 2015, and since then they've grown exponentially with every release. If "Akai Ito" is anything to go by then there's little stopping CLØWD's momentum with future releases.

Spoiler

@plastic_rainbow's Picks

"夕轟" by マルコ

"Yuu Todoroki" by Marco
DDKrmAAU0AAe-cz.jpg
With two of the members leaving in September, Marco is living on the edge as they continue their way up. Thankfully, the remaining members have already stated that they will not disband just yet. If you are new to these guys, Marco are often compared with early Merry, mostly due to the strong similarities between the vocals, but I think listeners who enjoy VK from the 2000s, especially the mid-2000s, will enjoy Marco just as much. In fact, all of the members were previously in bands that were fairly well-known around the time, such as CindyKate, Order Made, JIVE, and SectMa. Marco sounds nothing like the aforementioned bands however, but the mid-2000s vibe is there. Before their lead guitarist and drummer officially leave the band, Marco drops in a phenomenal track one last time as a 5-piece band. "Yuu Todoroki" is less energetic than their previous works and instead brings out a soft retro rock sound. The impressive guitar work has always been a strong point of the band, and here they emit a luscious blues tone. Top it with Rei's alluring and rough vocals and you've got a feast for your ears. But let's not ignore all the splendid work done on the jazzy bass lines and guitar chords along with the soft drumming as well. It may be hard to imagine how Marco will manage from now on with their drummer and lead guitarist leaving, and a very talented guitarist at that, but I look forward to hearing more stuff from them again.

Spoiler

"ワールドエンドサイレン" by lical

"World End Siren" by lical
Cl0Mshe.jpg
If you haven't been checking up too closely on the Japanese indie scene like me you might have missed these guys. "World End Siren" comes from lical's new album titled Koto no Hanataba, Suisou to Kaisei that released not too long ago in June. It immediately opens with some mellow guitar chords and a distant train alarm, building a rush of energy. The jumping bass lines and light female vocals sound quite pleasing to the ears, but the blaring eccentric guitar riffs are the ones that take the cake. A few mathy influences can be heard as well and the distant train alarm from the beginning comes back again like a gentle warning. "World End Siren" for the most part may sound like a typical indie rock song, but the bouncy and hopeful depiction of a path full of risks makes it worth a listen and  a fun track to jam out with.

Spoiler

@fitear1590's Picks
"螢の瞳" by アンフィル
"hotaru no hitomi" by anfiel
2hx8xkx.jpg
I'll try not to bore you with the nitty-gritty of my love-hate relationship with anfiel (please don't report me to hiroki). Essentially, they're a band I've always wanted to like, but after their first two singles, something just hasn't been clicking. Well, their latest single "hotaru no hitomi" might just break the spell. Stripping back the band's sound does wonders, especially because one of my biggest gripes with their past work has been the production of their electronic arrangements. With the setup in this track, the melancholy guitar riffs and robust basslines get to shine. The best compliment I can give this track is that it reminds me of UNiTE.'s similarly 'au naturel'  single "ハートレス クラシックメモリー (Heartless Classic Memory)."If you're fed up with the hyper-screechy synth'd up VK of today, anfiel's newest single provides a breath of fresh air.
Spoiler

"夏の客船" by ウワノソラ
"natsu no kyakusen" by Uwanosora
14mc1ec.jpg
Uwanosora have been putting out music in various interconnected projects for a couple years now. My personal favorite is the side-project Uwanosora'67, which, if the number cued you, puts out tunes with a classic 60s girl-group flair. Now back in their original form, regular Uwanosora is gearing up for an album release later this year. To generate buzz for that, their first single from the album "natsu no kyakusen" is a beautiful, laid-back ballad and the PV's blue skies and ocean match the heartfelt soundscape perfectly. The entire experience is as calming as sitting on the coast and taking in the gentle breeze. I'm hoping the whole album will be on par with this!
Spoiler

@emmny's Pick

"愛という、変態" by gibkiy gibkiy gibkiy

"Ai toiu, hentai" by gibkiy gibkiy gibkiy
123xqma.jpg
Love, a pervert. Another year, another mind-blowing release from experimental rock provocateurs gibkiy gibkiy gibkiy. "Ai to iu, hentai" is their first MV and a macabre look down into the rabbit hole (literally). Slick, sexual and more than a bit perverted, the song lives up to its namesake. The repetitive, skittery instrumentation reminiscent of merry go round spars with Sakura's challenging, rolling drum line while Kazuma's maddened crooning envelops the air. The song moves with a flow not unlike intercourse, coming to crashing climaxes and sudden halts before starting again and coming to another roaring blitz of noise. The first half of the song is foreplay, and the second half is whatever else you want it to be--an onslaught of sound and sensation.

Spoiler

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thanks for checking out our recommendations this month! If you have any thoughts on the list, or if you have any recommendations of your own, we look forward to seeing your comments below!

Loved Leetspeak Monster's Black Owl! this remade version is so much superior, Xavie's part really do give it a special flavor...

I'd add to this list ACME's Trick×Trap. The mini is great overall, but this track is so vibrant, Shogo's trademark composition-style is so evident here, it makes the early-xTRiPx fan in me dwell in nostalgia. You gotta love that chorus, the boys know their way really well in what makes a VK song stand out.

I'll try not to bore you with the nitty-gritty of my love-hate relationship with anfiel (please don't report me to hiroki).

@fitear1590 TOO LATE!!! :ghost:

jokes aside i'm happy to see anfiel on the list. there are def differences between unite and anfiel but i've always thought from the start that a unite fan would be able to find at least something in anfiel that appeals to them :) 

i haven't heard any other release from this list so it's hard for me to comment on them. from August i also enjoyed: 

- ReFrain ReFrain - Breezing (ryoga has a nice voice o.o)

- L.O.V.E - Werthers (roa kenji is hugely underrated, i really really hope he can finally make it with this band after all the drama with Virgil)

- Purple Stone - 赤と青 (i'm obviously not biased! would have preferred more new tracks but as their debut album it's the perfect distillation of the range of things they're capable of)

- vistlip - July Ⅶth [Re:birth]~10th Anniversary Edition~ (there's no way any vistlip fan won't appreciate a 10th anniversary rerecording of what's undoubtedly the band's most iconic song)

- K - Story (i haven't actually had time to listen to this fully but the preview suggests that i'd probably really like it)

@doomboxStarting with Leetspeak Monsters I was highly in AWE when I heard this song, I literally didn't know what to do with myself....It was everywhere the costumes were like wait what this isn't Halloween Kei then the Rap came in and I was liek "WHAT!" What is going on here..... And my friend looked at me like what is that face for it was good (she doesn't even listen to VK haha) and I'm like it was good just so different from what I would've expected? Just surprised the whole way through! LOVE IT!

@CAT5Never heard of Angelnori but I reallly enjoyed the song and I'll have to check out some more of her. I love Angelic voices and the instrumentals that accompany them so Thank You!

@qotkaI didn't even know about her but that ending was very raw and was probably the best ending she could've had for it. Filled with so much emotion...<3

@Seimeisenboth albums of Mucc I've never even listened to till the new version came out so I was surprised in general but I have to say that my favorite song, besides loving the whole thing was the new version of "Kurayami Ni Saku Hana" Just Brilliant<3

@plastic_rainbowI've never even listened to Marco before but @emmnyreview on new and up and coming bands made me think I was missing out on some people so if you have any favorites by them please let me know so I can check them out! This song was nice BTW!

And who is Lical???????? it was so good but I've never even heard of them..... Are they new?

@fitear1590UGHHHHh This new song was beautiful by them and I can see that Unite. reference seeing as I love them too. i thought this may be the best song Anfiel has put out thus far to me!

11 hours ago, hiroki said:

L.O.V.E - Werthers (roa kenji is hugely underrated, i really really hope he can finally make it with this band after all the drama with Virgil)

This! Everything that dude touches is gold!

Really hoping their stuff gets shared somehow, it's all looking amazing so far!

Surprised to see Seiko Oomori here. :) Watashimi is a track I've been skipping, but I liked the other b-side she released, "Silent Majority" (サイレントマジョリティー), which is a cover of idol group Keyakizaka46. Seiko's version is unique. I find its music video (ln-iFD5Y4Ec) extremely beautiful, being a gathering of underground female idols and models. I voted on Marco because I like me some jazzy v-kei, haha.

Sign in to follow this