ficsci

Bad visual kei vocalists

How dare you guys bump this thread and bring all these hot takes to my attention.

Really though, I know it's been mentioned, but KAMIJO.  I'm not especially picky, I can tolerate and tend to like most vocalists and much of the weird shit they tend to do, but KAMIJO has become so insufferable to me. I used to like Versailles a lot--I'd say they were my favourite band at one point--but once I really started listening to their music objectively instead of ogling the band for their aesthetic, I couldn't suffer through it anymore. Jubilee still has some bangers though.   

There are some small, unimportant opinions that I have, but KAMIJO is, in my opinion, overrated and the only one that I could confidently say is a bad vocalist.

Tsuzuku from Mejibray, Yuuki from Lycaon, Jin from The Black Swan, and  HIME (his band name isn't coming to me at the moment). The first two I can  tolerate, the latter, nope. 

(Laughs) Well they're all listed already. Some of them sounds bad because of the techniques they used ruined the register of their voice like Asagi, Sono or Yuki Sakurai. Actually Yuki Sakurai is actually a good one, his skills are amazing. It just sometimes it felt like he is over doing it. And few had limited skills but have a good voice, I think KAMIJO belongs to this category his voice is actually fine when he is not lowering his tone or whatever antics he wants to do with his voice. Some do not really cut it off for me like , Satsuki, An cafe vocalist and many more. For my preference they do not have the it or the skills. 

I don't see how Kazuki ex-Due le quartz was a bad drummer.

And as for Sakito, I remember a friend of mine once suggested some singers like him possibly sing like that due to their hearing. It is not that their voices are unable to hit certain notes; it is the way they hear that conditions their singing...

I never had problems with Sakito's singing style and, even though it would have been nice if he could have always hit the right key still I like his voice.

Edited by seikun

Just seeing a few comments makes me rethink the title...

"Bad vocalists" implies vocalists that lack skill and threfore can measureably be considered bad vocalists. Yet I see people posting quite good ones and saying "I personally hate this guy even if he is good".

Is it an opinion post to share vocalists we deslike or a post more on the factual side to discuss vocal skills?

I may dislike Hiro's singing on NCBL and he may make my ears bleed, but that doesn't keep me from admitting the guy has some serious skill.

By the way, vocalists I think are unskilled, don't handle their voices well and can't hit the right notes live (or sometimes even in the studio) would be Mashiro from Paradeis, Miku from An Cafe, Aryu from Morrigan, Tsuzuku from Mejibray, Yuuki from Lycaon, the dude from Mediena/Virge and a few other vocalists who sound like they have to force their voice way too much to sound ok, and whose names I can't remember as of now.

Zin. Shou (A9) and Naoki (Fantasista) should take lessons ASAP.

Edited by Komorebi

I remember trying to listen one of Azero's song (can't remember which one) and vocalist was so bad. Maybe he got better now, but in that song he sounded horrible. He couldn't hit any note.

Aside from that, vocalists I dislike aren't really bad. They're just not my taste.

I usually have no problem with breathy tone-deaf VK singers but Shun from Deshabillz sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me, I absolutely can't stomach him. He turns a handful solid albums into endurance runs.

I would have to say Shin'ya from Saga, a band that was active during 2007 and 2008 if I well recall. I actually like the band, but the vocal certainly lacked singing skills at the time. A friend of mine love one of their songs because of his funny singing style due to lack of singing skills. :-P

I wonder what he is doing today.

For an (apparently) untrained singer, I think Tsuzuku can hold his own most of the times. Meji songs do plow through Fry/Growl/Pig Squeal in a not so usual manner, and that is definitely not an easy thing to do people may take for granted.

On the list of people that suck, the dude of Lycaon, the one from Azero (who is the worst in the whole world), that one from LIEVRE CLAY, u from KLACK, the one from the:0 and NEOPHILIA's are some of the ones on my mind.

And anyone who says Sakurai is bad should get their hearing checked. That guy is a monster, and not liking one's tone does not equal to one having bad skills

Azero Vocal... He reminds of the Raid. vocal. Similar

Azero vocal feels like stinging

Seeing some live video of vk bands makes me wonder

" Are they really be okay ? "

On 19/6/2017 at 0:39 PM, emmny said:

aryu from morrigan is literally dreadful he hasn't been mentioned enough here

I love him!!! But I must admit that if you hear him live he does nothing but scream and in a bad way. He runs out of voice really quickly and you can tell how much he forces it. 

On 19-6-2017 at 6:24 PM, chemicalpictures said:

For an (apparently) untrained singer, I think Tsuzuku can hold his own most of the times. Meji songs do plow through Fry/Growl/Pig Squeal in a not so usual manner, and that is definitely not an easy thing to do people may take for granted.

On the list of people that suck, the dude of Lycaon, the one from Azero (who is the worst in the whole world), that one from LIEVRE CLAY, u from KLACK, the one from the:0 and NEOPHILIA's are some of the ones on my mind.

And anyone who says Sakurai is bad should get their hearing checked. That guy is a monster, and not liking one's tone does not equal to one having bad skills

actually pretty stupid from tzk to do that untrained, this is why so many vocalists ruin their voice.

On 17/05/2017 at 9:14 PM, Komorebi said:

"Bad vocalists" implies vocalists that lack skill and threfore can measureably be considered bad vocalists. Yet I see people posting quite good ones and saying "I personally hate this guy even if he is good".

Is it an opinion post to share vocalists we deslike or a post more on the factual side to discuss vocal skills?

I may dislike Hiro's singing on NCBL and he may make my ears bleed, but that doesn't keep me from admitting the guy has some serious skill.

I think it's hard for people to distinguish their opinions from actual facts. Everyone wants to have a good reason to not like something, especially in a scene where educated (and sometimes pompous af) opinions are valued above everything else. In that kind of situation it's hard to say you don't like something just because you don't like it. Even harder for people to admit something is technically bad and yet they still like it. That's like admitting you like Justin Bieber. 

So yeah, you're right. This topic is more like "vocalists you hate" than "bad vocalists".

Honestly i feel as tho this topic is very opinion based every human has a different taste and ear for music me personally, I Like any vocalist who sounds different then anything metal core/hardcore metal related new gen American/UK bands all though there are some exceptions. I'm just mainly sick of the over popular whine high pitch voices that a lot of these bands like to imitate over in the 2000s era (US/UK) all tho as stated there are some band that aren't like this. You have visual kei vocalists that are just like straight up bad sound bad because of there voice but, again some people find these vocalists as gems. For me personally. I will just name a few that in my mind i couldn't really get into because of the a bad vocalist: (Ex Vocalist: Unsraw , @nniversary, NOW, Rainda, Tomodachi, EXE, Helproject, BatsuxGame) Which is the only ones i can think of at the moment.

1. Kyo (DEG)
  2. Satskui (rentrer en soi)
  3. Skull's vocalist 
  4. Ruki 
  5. Kamijo
  6. assagi 
  7. Yo-ka
  8. genki
Edited by blackdoll

翡翠 (Hisui) - Madeth gray'll

IZAM - SHAZNA

Maria Cross

I love Madeth gray'll and SHAZNA's music, but their vocalists are admittedly pretty bad lol