Himeaimichu

[CLUB] Starter bands for people getting into old school VisualKei

So I thought here we should contribute to a list of starter bands for those who are wanting to get into old Vkei. 

So first, let me get an unpopular opinion out of the way: Dir en Grey and X Japan aren't good starters. You won't find many other bands through them, and in the case of Dir en Grey, only the first 3 albums are "old school". 

Rather, I'd seperate things into specific kinds of old school bands. The 80's, and 90's. Usually we just lump these all into old school, but there are major differences. 

What I generally feel to be a good starter band is one that will introduce you to the scene, but also get you to try other bands within it. Generally with X Japan... you'll just find more X Japan. 

First, if I were to introduce someone to 80's/early 90's Vkei, I'd go with D'erlanger. They were one of the earliest Vkei bands to get popular.  Aion is also a good choice to introduce someone to the Thrash Metal that defined the era. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF8UlkpF5iI (video won't embed but it's La Vie en Rose by D'erlanger)

However, if I were going to introduce someone to mid to late 90's vkei, it'd definitely be a Soleil band. Literally any will work. La'Mule, S, With Sexy, etc. 

So what are your thoughts? How do you introduce people to old school Vkei?

15 hours ago, AimiGen7 said:

How do you introduce people to old school Vkei?

link them Madeth's 黒装束ノ調べ, Syndrome's 蘇生 and La'mule's inspire. if they don't dig neither of these i simply tell them fuck off and die and that's that.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

link them Madeth's 黒装束ノ調べ, Syndrome's 蘇生 and La'mule's inspire. if they don't dig neither of these i simply tell them fuck off and die and that's that.

Preach it, brother/sister!

@AimiGen7 Got a Can you hook me up with a complete S discography? Thank you if you can 

Partial here: 

What's missing here: 

23 minutes ago, sume7 said:

@AimiGen7 Got a Can you hook me up with a complete S discography? Thank you if you can 

Partial here: 

What's missing here: 

I'm not sure where to find any, but I'll look when I have more time. (Sadly, good ol' reliable Evil en Lucifer had some dead links lol)

6 minutes ago, AimiGen7 said:

I'm not sure where to find any, but I'll look when I have more time. (Sadly, good ol' reliable Evil en Lucifer had some dead links lol)

Yeah I kno lol Let me kno if you find any. Thanks 

Just an update even though I Kno no one really uses clubs anymore. 

I managed to get an "S" disco. And I can share if anyone wants.

I know. I remember browsing vk .gy and saw the name BY-SEXUAL and thought "What a name for a band. Definitely gonna check it out."
As for Neil, I remember someone recommending it to me.

1 minute ago, Crimson said:

I know. I remember browsing vk .gy and saw the name BY-SEXUAL and thought "What a name for a band. Definitely gonna check it out."
As for Neil, I remember someone recommending it to me.

I found NeiL while looking through youtube. By-sexual was one of the first Vkei bands I ever heard of, because when I first found out about vkei, I did some basic research on it lol

That's cool. I remember seeing some vistlip PVs before I even knew what VK was, but a YouTuber named Akidearest explained it to me and I did a little research and fund Versailles. The rest is history.

1 minute ago, Crimson said:

That's cool. I remember seeing some vistlip PVs before I even knew what VK was, but a YouTuber named Akidearest explained it to me and I did a little research and fund Versailles. The rest is history.

That's cool! I used to listen to a lot of traditional Japanese music, then I found CrowXClass and Memento Mori, and there began my journey lol

so i actually wanted to put together a list of some "must listens" of older bands cause im in my 2nd vk phase of being obsessed with and currently im just crazy about a bunch of new modern bands but during my first phase i did check out some older bands but they didnt stick to my memory, so besides the ones listed here what would u consider some essentials of the genre 

so far im looking at binge listening to malice mizer, rentrer en soi, and derlanger. who else should i add 

On 12/15/2018 at 3:07 PM, chipathy said:

so i actually wanted to put together a list of some "must listens" of older bands cause im in my 2nd vk phase of being obsessed with and currently im just crazy about a bunch of new modern bands but during my first phase i did check out some older bands but they didnt stick to my memory, so besides the ones listed here what would u consider some essentials of the genre 

so far im looking at binge listening to malice mizer, rentrer en soi, and derlanger. who else should i add 

Luna Sea, La' Cryma Christi, No'ix, Buck-Tick, and El Dorado are good!

On 4/10/2020 at 6:12 AM, Takbardzozly said:

I'd definitely show Silver Rose and Kuroyume, btw Justy Nasty was vk or just glam/ new wave band?

I think they was more in the glam side than in vk...