fitear1590

Before & After: Unbelievable Transformations in Japanese Music

Which transformation(s) do you find most surprising?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which transformation(s) do you find most surprising?

• Reiha (ErecSia, Alphonstein) → Icchi (Milphinne, Canzel, hoshi NO house)
    • PIECE → Choujiku Android - PIECE → GRIMOIRE
    • Emiru (Aicle) → Satoshi Suzuki (Yeti)
    • Keigo Oyamada (Flipper's Guitar) → CORNELIUS
    • Kanon Wakeshima
    • Ziyoou-Vachi / QUEEN BEE
    • Rouga (Heartless) → TSUYOSHI (Unveil Raze)
    • XecsNoin → XECSNOIN
    • Tenten (Hanamuke→KuRt→Benii→Chemical Pictures→kiss my way→My BACTERIA HEAT IsLAND→LACK-CO.)
    • Ryo (Clarity → kannivalism → barokku → baroque → kannivalism → BAROQUE)
    • Yuuki (Crystallium(gt) → SUBDUAL → De stijllia → Jinkaku Radio → Solo)
    • Yuuri (9MIRI.) → Yuuri (Irokui.) → Okayusan (Himitsu Kessha Hanpii)
    • Other [write in comments]

Keep the posts coming, everyone! I am loving these :D

On 6/15/2017 at 9:27 PM, returnal said:

couple notes—would consider the title of this thread to be a bit clickbaity? a lot of these strike me as rather natural evolutions, or at least not Super Wild? just my imo, though

Thanks for the feedback. I was just trying something a tad more sensational this time, since we've gotten word that some list titles in the past weren't snazzy enough.

But I do stand by the transformations I chose. Part of the fun in this list for me was removing the factor of development over time and just showing radical changes, side-by-side, from point A to point C, D, or even Z.

On 6/16/2017 at 6:23 AM, cvltic said:

NdnLSAk.png
sN0589D.jpg

Sleeping salaryman is one of my faves in this thread!

Spoiler

0.jpg

1991-1992?

Cw-gys3VEAA3341.jpg

1992-1993?

hqdefault.jpg

1994-1995

Ordered as follows: 1995, 1996 and 1999

Another not-so-notable-but-nonetheless-equally-interesting evolution...by another legendary non-vk band

Hint: they started out as a no-frills Japanese DQN punk band circa late 80s early 90s, became semi-Buck Tick worshiping experimental-ish punk act afterwards (around the same time), and from different experiments with more simpler rockisms and hardcore stuff they adopted street fashion, new genre (digital hardcore with nu metal-ish tinge) around mid-90s and late 90s and basically became even more street-ier ever since then.

Merry's Gara surely loved vocalist's antics circa early-mid 90s ("the long hair" era btw) :)

Edited by Alroy

Woah i forgot I helped with this before I left. Even though I did Tenten.. I'm going to say Ryo from baroque and kannivalism is the most surprising... Tenten changes so much it's lost it's wow factor. But with Ryo, I mean he's basically been in two generations of VK... Not to mention he was somewhat of a trend setter in his early days. I'm not sure what his popularity is now or how his struggles have effected it... but I know he went through some hardcore depression (I have like 3 copies of that book so I have two for sale? LOL anyway) I'm not sure how he feels currently or if he's still struggling and I'm unsure how that plays a role in his style and musical expression... 

But I feel like he's really had a special journey... so yeah that guy is something else. 

i forgot about some of these, keep em coming guys!!

@togz i think his experience with depression played a major role with these changes. seeing him now, i think it's pretty obvious that he's way happier than when he was back then. i mean if you just compare these two videos, the first one being around the time when his depression hit the hardest and the later being the most recent work from BAROQUE. but of course, i can't say for sure that he's no longer struggling. still, i think he has recovered a lot after what he's gone through and i feel like he's viewing things more positively. i don't know how much of it reflects his musical expression either, but i'd like to think it has considerably.

p.s. can i buy one of those copies from you?? xD i don't even know the actual contents of it but i remember someone making translations before, haha. god, i just realized how long ago that was...

5 hours ago, plastic_rainbow said:

i forgot about some of these, keep em coming guys!!

@togz i think his experience with depression played a major role with these changes. seeing him now, i think it's pretty obvious that he's way happier than when he was back then. i mean if you just compare these two videos, the first one being around the time when his depression hit the hardest and the later being the most recent work from BAROQUE. but of course, i can't say for sure that he's no longer struggling. still, i think he has recovered a lot after what he's gone through and i feel like he's viewing things more positively. i don't know how much of it reflects his musical expression either, but i'd like to think it has considerably.

p.s. can i buy one of those copies from you?? xD i don't even know the actual contents of it but i remember someone making translations before, haha. god, i just realized how long ago that was...

Yeah! I'll DM you tomorrow *^* bout to sleep

9 hours ago, reminiscing2004 said:

Was this too obvious?

zS5whNx.jpg

The evolution from this to this in five years time always wows me

Was literally about to suggest Miyavi. Despite the ever-changing style (and fanbase) I have enjoyed the vast majority of his music at some level. Props to this guy.

13 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

haha wow can't believe no one mentioned

ZWfPA8Y.jpg

oh wait.

mizaly looks really different in the second pic :$ i wonder if there was from megaromania or lin...or maybe their old band? what do you think about plastic surgery? maybe that is why he has aged so good since starting visual kei....at least that is what my insider japanese friends tell me (NOT tanuki).

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned Tetsu Takano (MALICE MIZER -> ZIGZO, nil, The JUNEJULYAUGUST, THE BLACK COMET CLUB BAND, Indies Denryoku...etc.). 

1r5egx.jpg

Part of me loves the fact that he and Chiba Yusuke are both trying to rock the silver fox look now. 

Yuuna (夕薙-ユウナ-) [Ex. I sick face, Mother-マザー-, Mercuria-マキューリア-, 時雨, another projects]

Love this guy <3
 eiw0ax.jpg

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tusk Itaya from Zi:Kill, CRAZE, and The Slut Banks.

8d3fbedccf69183e5207d522d581a53b.jpg

Tusk back in Zi:Kill along with Sugizo

20121026_3274711.jpg 

Tusk with The Slut Banks. I couldn't find any clear images of him in CRAZE, and I couldn't find anything from his short-lived project, Amnesia, but he seems to look the same now as he did in Craze, meaning that he gained a lot of weight after Zi:Kill broke up. I bet though if he lost weight, shaved, and if he can't regrow his hair, wore a wig, he could pull off a toned down version of his Zi:Kill look