Sign in to follow this  
suji

L’Arc~en~Ciel at risk of disbanding due to label issues?!

So a few days ago (6/7), an article came up about L'Arc~en~Ciel and apparently they're having financial disputes with their label, and because of that, it's possible that they may disband...band leader Tetsuya refuses to comment on the matter, but he doesn't deny it either.

L’ARC in danger of disbanding due to 2 billion JPY of real estate - tetsuya does not deny.

L’Arc~en~Ciel may have just reached their 25th anniversary, but they are at risk of splitting up due to label troubles.  The story revolves around financial “alchemy” by the head of the label, using profits he secretly took without informing the band members.

The band members have long been dissatisfied with the pay they received from the label, which is led by Oishi Masahiro (age 57),  For instance, top selling artists normally receive a musician’s fee of 3 to 5% per million albums sold, but L’Arc’s members have only received 2.5%. Oishi always explained this by saying the label was “in the red,” but always refused to show relevant financial documents to the band members.

However, in truth, Oishi’s label makes over 1.5 bilion JPY per year and consistently produces over 20 million in JPY profits.  According to Oishi, the money saved by underpaying the artists has gone into 2.2 bilion JPY of Tokyo real estate, notably a building in Hirakawacho and a penthouse in Ebisu.

Learning these facts has created an undeniable trench between the members and the label.  However, the four independent members are not monolithic.  They are divided, rather like SMAP, who have disbanded.

According to our research, Oishi claims that “contract negotiations are under serious discussion.”  When asked directly about disbanding and these troubles, the band leader, tetsuya, replied “No comment. I just don’t want to make the fans sad.”

Source: http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/13170483/

Translation: http://chirpasaurus.tumblr.com/post/161602963428

Edited by sheepprincessgara

1 minute ago, Naaaaani said:

They are already dead as a band for a long time, so not a big loss for the scene

Very explicitly worded but you have a point there.

It's been obvious since their BUTTERFLY single releases that they are pretty much in it for the sake of bigger "superstar" funds ( rather than being in sync with each other like back in the "good old days". God knows whether they actually have anything left from all that 90s-early 00s chemistry.

Maybe not an immediate Kaisan but call it another 5-10 years of deep idgaffy silence.

It's sad to see my favorite group become what they have. On the other hand though it explains why the band as a whole has been pouring their time elsewhere be it family time, other bands, producing, etc. 

I don't blame tetsuya for his statement though, if anyone that guy gives a shit about the fans. 

Their latest music has been dull AF and I almost forgot they existed with how active Hyde is with (trash) Vamps.

Regardless, this still ain't right. I hope they come to some kind of solution.

12 hours ago, Naaaaani said:

They are already dead as a band

**since day 1, can we stop pretending they ever made anything remarkable aside from selling shounen ai fantasia front for mediocre rock music.

and this mess likely dates back to when they actually could sell millions of records, so it's all around surprising this only surfaced just now with no police investigation involved and hyde leaving "c u in court sweatie:)" post-its in his label's elevator.

L'arc has definitely put out some cool music...in the past. I mean, Dune, Tierra, and those double albums were really solid Jrock fanfare. 

...that being said, it's time to put up the reins. Label issues or not. Ken is living it up as a producer, yukihiro has that Geek Sleep Sheep thing, and acid android. Tetsu...I couldn't care less, but his solo stuff is *okay*. Hyde has Vamps. 

I think they'll be okay if they disband.

18 hours ago, Naaaaani said:

They are already dead as a band for a long time, so not a big loss for the scene

This.

Ugh, just disband already.

They were my favorite band for a very long time and still hold a special place in my heart but I hate to see them toying with the fans' emotions all the time and throwing a shitty money-sqeezing anniversary concert or a dull single packed in a riddiculous ¥5000 edition. 

Just fucking disband already and gimmie more geek sleep sheep.

6 hours ago, EzraEroguro said:

L'arc has definitely put out some cool music...in the past. I mean, Dune, Tierra, and those double albums were really solid Jrock fanfare. 

...that being said, it's time to put up the reins. Label issues or not. Ken is living it up as a producer, yukihiro has that Geek Sleep Sheep thing, and acid android. Tetsu...I couldn't care less, but his solo stuff is *okay*. Hyde has Vamps. 

I think they'll be okay if they disband.

Mind that KISS was also surprisingly good (the same tier just as those Dune/Tierra albums - I know that no one will ever share my True/Heart love though) for that time when their "anime-friendly" shtick was made clear.

But yeah, whoever dismisses Tierra (!) and their legacy for that matter is obviously trolling, lmao.

There is, literally, no record label in Japan that will pay their artists fairly. The worst record contracts on earth are in Asia.

Most of the bands you listen to are probably looking like they have money but in reality they don't.

I guess I might be in the minority here as I enjoyed their newest material. And contrary to what has been stated here by others I think it would be a loss for the scene. Granted they haven't been as active in recent years, but they're pretty much  J-rock legends at this point. Maybe not the biggest or most loved, but they definitely have an important legacy and have left their mark. It would be sad to see that journey come to an end for them.  

As far as disbanding due to label issues, that sounds extremely strange to me. I have never heard of a  band doing that before. I've heard of bands leavings labels, and suing labels for a number of reasons, but never of a band disbanding because they were conned by a label. What does that accomplish?  Nothing. Seems like it would be a win for the label in that situation.  And because of that reason I find it highly skeptical the band would disband over it.  If anything I think they might just leave or sue the label. And If they do disband, I doubt this would be the reason, it might become a factor, but definitely not be the main cause. 

Sign in to follow this