• "トイレでGO!" by cali≠gari
    • "地獄のこども" by Luminous101
    • "VENOM" by REIGN
    • "ボクノ悪イ癖" by ヴァージュ (Virge)
    • "おしまい" by キズ (Kizu)
    • "ゲシュタルト" by ピサロ (Pisarro)
    • "昨日の怖い夢。" by 黒百合と影 (Kuroyuri to kage)
    • "「哀しい日はいつも雨」" by シェルミィ (Shellmy)
    • "メロス" by 水曜日のカンパネラ (Suiyoubi no Campanella)
    • "Afterglow" by The fin.
    • "深呼吸" by PELICAN FANCLUB
    • "バライロノセカイ-Le monde de la rose-" by D’ERLANGER
    • "TRIGGER (feat. J)" by Lynch.
    • Other (specify in the comments)

rtbnmay2017b.jpg

Greetings, MH! The ORZ team just recruited new members, so we are back stronger than ever with our latest batch of recommended tracks!  Check them out and let us know what you think!

(We apologize if some videos aren't available due to region restrictions!)

@-NOVA-'s Pick

"Reason for being" by NIL UNDER RAIN

topmain.png

NIL UNDER RAIN is a new band fronted by Vo. Kyoma (ex-RevleZ) and backed up by ex- Xepher members and its bringing a lot of HEAT!!! "Reason for being" is packed with solid riffs, breakdowns (3 of them to be exact), and an amazing solo. The song alters from two distinct styles, slow and soft to fast and heavy. As the song approaches its peak the band begins a breakdown sequence and builds up the beat by playing faster. While all this happening, Kyoma adds a couple growls and Kaana takes the beat away with a very unique solo. It's been 2 years since RevleZ disbanded but to my  surprise Kyoma's singing style hasn't changed. His growls may not be as strong and powerful in this single, but hopefully they will be in later releases. It's clear these guys have worked hard on making a strong first impression since there are no signs of 'cheap-kei' here. This song is a great start to what may soon become an amazing band and maybe surpass RevleZ and Xepher's level of success. I think the fact that all these guys aren't new to the scene really helps them. Also their previous bands have made names for themselves. Hopefully this band can go far.

Spoiler

@The Reverend's Picks
"働かずに食う [IA Ver.]" by KOHH
"I Don't Work [IA Ver.]" by KOHH

kohhandia_zpstypfuc3w.jpg
You know that slightly anxious moment when you’re talking about music with a new-ish acquaintance and start to say 'This sounds nerdy, but I really like this Japanese…'? This song and video are exactly what that other person is thinking as soon as you drop the J word. "I Don’t Work [IA Version]" is a chiptune (hell, part of it is literally a chopped-and-screwed version of some music from the original Super Mario Bros.) remix of KOHH’s original "I Don’t Work" with the vocals completely replaced by vocaloid singer IA. What was originally a lackluster not-single-worthy-even-though-it-was-one (KOHH sounded bored on it, he doesn’t even shout out Oji once!) mid-tempo hip hop track is transformed into something bright and addictive and maybe a bit subversive when filtered through the trippy lens of pink-haired IA and the accompanying ‘90s CGI reel of a video.

Spoiler

"Melon Soda" by tricot
C-VAzKnXcAAA7qR.jpg
The crown princesses of poppy math rock are back with their third album 3. "Melon Soda" is the second single from the new album and one of their most accessible songs to date. It starts with the bassist showing off her chops and follows with a mostly mellow, pretty song. My fave part is actually the second guitarist interrupting the sweet song with some purposeful background feedback at :54. Tricot, as usual, have a great combination of female vocal melodies and non-traditional indie rock. The video doesn’t really have a story, as much as a central conceit. Basically everything is moving backwards (except for the vocalists lips!)... which is done very artfully, but it seems like most of the girls’ actions are not things they’d normally be doing as much as they are things that beat you over the head that they're backwards (ripping paper, pouring things out, putting a newton’s cradle in some coffee what??)

Spoiler

@plastic_rainbow's Picks
"Grateful Dead" by MINAKEKKE
MINAKEKKE1.jpg
A new female singer-songwriter enters the scene with her debut album called TINGLES. Before you think that MINAKEKKE is some generic pop singer, let me tell you that she's like no other. Instead of singing cheap love songs, she mixes genres like folk, shoegaze, new wave, and goth together into one album full of a haunting sweetness. One highlight of the album is the song "Grateful Dead", which takes you to a realm of 80s gothic horror with a roar of a thunder at the beginning. Some drum machines, gloomy guitars, and tambourines creep in and you've got everything laid out. MINAKEKKE's lovely and swaying vocals; however, soften the threatening mood and carry you gently through the horrific ordeal. If you like uplifting acoustic guitars and folk drums, or dreamy synth melodies, to haunting organs and creepy guitar noises, be sure to check out the rest of the album. With MINAKEKKE's mesmerizing vocals, you will surely be swept away into her dreary, yet peaceful, world of darkness and dreams.

Spoiler

"Saddest Song" by 北出菜奈
"Saddest Song" by Nana Kitade
nana kitade 2017_zpsmdgftvve.jpg
Feeling sour about Nana Kitade's new music direction ever since her comeback, I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were 1-2 enjoyable tracks from her new album VIOLET BLAZE. In her previous solo work, she donned a charismatic gothic lolita rock star appearance, but this time around she disrobes her old rock style and takes on a new electronic pop star approach. Even for someone who doesn't often listen to such kind of music, I was quite impressed by Nana's beautifully strained vocals in "Saddest Song". The track opens with a tune that oddly reminds me of the "Intro" by The xx (excuse me if I butcher this comparison), but with added-in dubstep breakdowns, serene droning, and of course, Nana's feminine vocals. The other highlight of the album is "Borrowed Time" and I highly recommend her new album to all Jpop listeners.

"Unfading Scent" by Shelling
tumblr_o6p3k4S4aT1vteq1no1_r1_1280.jpg

I recently found out about this shoegaze/dream pop band hailing from Tokyo that has been around since 2007. Despite being around for that long, they've only released a total of three albums, with their newest one being Waiting For Mint Shower!! . Shelling consists of two members: female on guitar/vocals and male on guitars, who like to call their music 'sherbet pop'. Quite fitting for any shoegaze/dream pop band. Their music touches on the roots of shoegaze and creates a heavy wall of noise that is layered by creamy ethereal vocals, as done with the track "Unfading Scent". If you’re looking for some of that My Bloody Valentine or Slowdive distortion, Shelling is the way to go.

Spoiler

@qotka's Picks
“N.G.Y” by 麗麗-reirei-
WgSRvo2.jpg

It's camp time! These indie kids are back with their first single since reforming, paying tribute to their hometown of Nagoya. Usually I'd write this kinda thing off as a graceless attempt at taking a karaoke in-joke gag and trying to make it happen -- and let's face it, things that are never going to happen are rife in indie vkeiland. But reirei's self-appointed Nagoya ambassadorship reads as sweet and genuine, loaded with heaps of self-deprecating humor both Nagoyites and outsiders can relate to.  Traditional-sounding synths, a copy-paste shamisen sample layering the back of the mix and full Nagoya-inspired frocks - "N.G.Y" is a low budget production but hardly a half-assed one. If you're going to let everyone in on your private joke you have to make it as elaborate as possible, and there's nothing more elaborate than Nagoya Castle shoulder pads. The result is so clumsy it's endearing; makes you wanna attend their live and rock out to this with their fans. All three of them. Hell, the chances of me visiting Nagoya this year have tripled since this was released.

Spoiler

"トイレでGO!" by cali≠gari

"toire de GO!" by cali≠gari
6YgdukH.jpg

Moving on from thrift-shop drag to a cult classic. cali≠gari are back at it, promoting their latest release 13 with a fun track that may not be the strongest one on the album but does a great job at showcasing the band’s signature grotesque tongue-in-cheek vibe and dark humor. They accomplish this by giving a taste of their more mischievous punk-rock side - strong but measured thick bass slapping, rushed percussion and The Other Shuuji’s playful vocals/storytelling. Coupled with a morbid PV featuring a housewife snapped and gone murderous, "toire de GO!" is what cali≠gari are all about: shock value that always seems to border on some sort of a social or political saying without ever explicitly going there. In this case, it could be the story of a woman getting her revenge at an abusive partner, or just another one of those 'murder mysteries' that get on the news every once in a while - 'man cooked and flushed down the toilet by ex girlfriend' sounds like great click-bait. Either way it's a well-told, engaging story that'll have you hooked start to finish. And if for some reason you haven't had the chance to check out this band yet and you have a taste for everything dark, twisted and queer, this could be your gateway. Just sayin'! 

Spoiler

"地獄のこども" by Luminous101

"Jigoku no kodomo" by Luminous101

oacXput.jpg
Musashino city’s finest – Luminous101 may still be playing livehouses where most of their audience consists of the other five bands on the lineup, but they sound a lot bigger than that. "Jigoku no kodomo" may not be the most sophisticated track you’ll hear in 2017, but it has a beautiful, bright melody with clear Britpop influences and just the right gentle vocals to go with it. Only time will tell if this band will survive the cruel reality of Tokyo's indie music scene, but for now we have this sweet piece of pop candy that's guaranteed to put a smile on your face -- at the moment only available on YouTube.

Spoiler

@tetsu_sama69's Picks

"VENOM" by REIGN

c90whm3voaadnbf.jpg
So... this stuff right here. This song is just amazing. All of it sticks right into my vein and gives me tingles in a particular part of me that I want more of. Something about "VENOM" feels so much like And, yet REIGN adds a whole new spice that takes me back to why I like Ikuma so much as a musician. Its opener is a twisted rhythmical party which is only enhanced further by their new drummer Kazuharu. It tears into a mess of screams and heavy guitars that may have been a bit too much, if it weren't for the fact that the song takes quite a bit of turns that it sweeps you up into a sweet melodic tornado. REIGN has definitely discovered their own personality with "VENOM" and are stepping away from their more spooky-kei background into a force to be reckoned with.

Spoiler

"ボクノ悪イ癖" by ヴァージュ

"Boku no Warui Kuse" by Virge

virge01.jpg
First of all, everyone who whined about Ryo from Medina being the vocalist for this band needs to sit down and check themselves because they're obviously delirious and need to see a doctor to get their heads checked. Virge is 100% proof you should never judge a band by who the members are, but simply by what they put on the table. UTOPIA is a treasure trove of visual gold and it's refreshing to see that guitarist Sizuki and bassist Shin still possess the musical prowess that made MALISEND more than just a momentary blip on the radar. Virge has the spirit of older visual styling that is very evident in its composition, especially in "Boku no Warui Kuse". The screams and clean vocals are just the sprinkles for this musical cake that has been baked to perfection. Even the synths are nowhere near overdone and fit so perfectly that you can tell there was great effort put into the framework of the song and the mini-album as a whole.

Spoiler

"おしまい" by キズ

"Oshimai" by Kizu
img_top_sp.jpg
No one expected a band like Kizu to turn out this way with lead singer LIME taking front, who previously sang for oshare kei band LEZARD. The supercharged opener takes over you in way that you just can't help but burst out in a fit of headbanging. Every single member of the band strikes a match that starts a musical firestorm. Despite the darker nature of the band, LIME's unique vocals fit perfectly with the heavier instrumentals and is well aware of his vocal boundaries. The whole song is perfectly executed and the psychological aesthetic fits so well with the band. I had "Oshimai" on repeat for almost a good hour at work when it popped up. The track is an instant infectious hit for anyone who likes a bit of dark drama in their visual kei bands without being overwhelmed by terrible synths and ugly vocals. It'll be interesting to hear the full release along with seeing what else Kizu will bring in the future.

Spoiler

"ゲシュタルト" by ピサロ

"Gestalt" by Pisarro
DAROzZpUMAAOiTo.jpg
If you've been sleeping on Pisarro you're definitely missing out big time,  which could result in a possible negative judgement on you and your visual taste. Anyone should be familiar with their vocalist Kairi from SIVA/gaNesha who formed Pisarro in 2016; with experienced members from Cardinal, Varyl, and LucaRia. Pisarro has had a colorful discography so far, and with "Gestalt" they just keep on delivering. "Gestalt" is a wonderful treat for the ears with its solid melody and execution that doesn't turn into a stereotypical visual power ballad. The clean guitar solo from Kaede is a highlight as it's not drawn out and fits like a puzzle piece that was missing to complete the excellence that is "Gestalt". 

Spoiler

@emmny's Picks

"昨日の怖い夢。" by 黒百合と影

"Kinou no kowai yume" by Kuroyuri to kage

kuroyuri to kage 2017_zpsq8d444gs.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I was held against my will for 30 minutes by KTK stans in exchange for this review after calling the song a flop upon first listen. I would like to officially recant my statement calling "Kinou no kowai yume" a 'flop' and formally change the legal status of the track to a 'bop'. KTK have been a bit controversial for me within the past year or so, as they have taken a major stylistic detour post-member departures. While I've gotten used to their new style, I can't fully shake what could have been from their first album. One day I was walking back alone from a night of rowdy drinking and gossiping from a bar and I decided to play this track again, turning it up a little bit more than usual. I didn't pick up on any of the following before that listen, and it is imperative for anyone to play this song as loud as you can possibly tolerate. The track opens with the biggest riff Kuro's put to record and K's pummeling, clanky bass work not far behind; the bass and guitar are mixed in a way that sounds like a sandwich to my ears at full blast; guitar occupies mid while bass takes sub/bass and treble. The end effect is maddening and I'd liken it to deep frying my ears. Mei's vocals bring in the first verse, and he kills it with the wobbly, atmospheric vocals that are now his trademark while K's minor scale riff weaves in and out of his voice before launching into grunts. Chorus comes, rinse and repeat. If you'd like to have a pleasant little goth nu-metal audio experience, go ahead and play it at normal volumes. If you want to feel the claustrophobic, nauseating intensity that Kuroyuri to kage are known for...heed my recommendation.

Spoiler

"「哀しい日はいつも雨」" by シェルミィ

"Kanashii hi wa itsumo ame" by Shellmy

prof_all.jpg
Shellmy are coming for world domination and you heard it here FIRST...although you might not be able to tell based on this song. PV spot on Danger Crue aside, it's a totally unflashy or "major" sounding ballad; the band eschew their bittersweet sound for Plastic Tree melancholy, with Hyo's usually unaffected vocals turning into a tastefully emotive vessel for the delicate lyrics. It's not so much lyrical melodrama as it is a simpler, more honest look at a breakup told through our beloved 'sadness=rain' trope...literally. Hyo's gotten a following through being relatable to fans; talking about suicide, bullying, depression and the like with candor and "Kanashii hi wa itsumo ame" continues with that very personal, detailed, storytelling/writing style that is otherwise missing from the scene. Shellmy gave us the ballad we wanted but didn't think we deserved in 2017 and at this rate their upcoming full-length will be the album of 2017--this time we deserve it though, the year's been dry for visual kei. Here's to hoping Shellmy will save the day.

Spoiler

@Original Saku's Pick

"メロス" by 水曜日のカンパネラ

"Melos" by Suiyoubi no Campanella
2353f4981008328c797a25ac285ba5d2.jpg

Coming off of the successful album SUPERMAN from earlier this year, we have a new single from dance electro-pop juggernaut Suiyoubi no Campanella. "Melos" makes for a nice track showcasing some more of that EDM sound that has been ever-present in the SUPERMAN material,  but with some good variations that shows it can stand on its own. The chorus has a catchy hook that draws you in with a mesmerizing vocal assault from KOMUAI combined with the electronic beats that really rock your core. While not a complete departure from the album singles we've heard previously,  "Melos" does tread more into the EDM realm previously mentioned and makes for a great album follow up. It also sounds excellent on my AVR speaker setup; the production is polished and mixing is clear as water.

Spoiler

@fitear1590's Picks
"Afterglow" by The fin.
thefin2017_zpsnfpmfcbw.jpg
It's been over a year since we last heard from The fin. with their disappointing Through the Deep EP. Although they have downsized to being a trio now, their sound is slowly returning to form. The billowing keys and powerful drumming in "Afterglow" recall some of the band's signature work from their gorgeous debut album Days with Uncertainty from late 2014. Adding to the mix is a simple, but deliciously fuzzy bassline that lends the song a slight post-punk edge underneath all the fluffiness. Admittedly, "Afterglow" does come off a bit interlude-y; I hope we'll be treated to a full album sometime later this year, so the song can display more synergy with surrounding tracks.

Spoiler

"深呼吸" by PELICAN FANCLUB
"shinkokyuu" by PELICAN FANCLUB
news_large_pelicanfanclub_art201703.jpg
2015 was the year of PELICAN FANCLUB, hands down. With two glorious mini albums, these giant-T-shirt-wearing newcomers won me over. They were poised to become my favorite J-indie band, but their next release OK BALLADE, although solid, just plateaued my appreciation for the band. Overall, I'm afraid their recent debut album Home Electronics is continuing that trend rather than raising the bar set by their excellent early releases. Having said that, there are some highlights planted throughout the album, one of which is the opening gambit "shinkokyuu". Endou's effervescent voice and the blissful riffs set an uplifting tone. Hopefully, Home Electronics will prove to be a grower over the course of the year, but for now I'm content with cherry picking individual tracks like this one.

Guest Recommendations:
@Ada Suilen's Picks

"バライロノセカイ-Le monde de la rose-" by D’ERLANGER
image03.jpg
If you have a little knowledge of the visual kei scene, you cannot miss something of this incredible band, one of the few which continued their brilliant work despite the changing times and the coming of new and fresh contexts. With their last work dated on April 2015, it was great to see them in action once again with a new album; the lead-track incorporates all the elements which drive the release and in general D'Erlanger's music, with a warm melody, energetic rhythm, where the guitars have a relevant role and touching vocals by Kyo, surely one of the best singers of the scene. A must for J-rock amateurs.

Spoiler

"TRIGGER (feat. J)" by Lynch.
main_fix1200.jpg

Lynch. is one of the bands which mostly represented my personal experience in the J-rock universe and they never disappointed in being powerful and great, even when they seemed repetitive in their own. With the arrest of Akinori occurred last year, there was fear that they would lose their appeal, as expected in situations like these. But they didn't give up and continued to play as a four-man band, with a new release coming. The lead-track of Sinners EP, made in collaboration with J (bassist of Luna Sea), maintained the energy seen in their music, but this time there's something new, represented by an articulate vocal interpretation by Hazuki and a stronger technique from the guitars, for an addictive metal theme.

Spoiler

Thanks for checking out our recommendations this month! And another big thanks to our guest contributor Ada Suilen! If you have any thoughts on the list, or if you have any recommendations of your own, we look forward to seeing your comments below!

Edited by fitear1590

already added some stuff from this list to my playlist. minakekke is a real jewel. also i'm dying to try shellmy because from the review they sound absolutely delicious, and when vkei is good it adds years to my life. will probably get to it later today. ^_^

yaaaaass the monthly recs are up and kicking ass again!! i look forward to hearing more new stuff from the new orz members! this is a really cool list!

@qotka still loving that reirei song hahaah. not only are they fun, but they also sound pretty solid. will be keeping an eye on them~ ^^

and ahhh, i'm so behind on caligari, but that sounds like them alright haha.

@tetsu_sama69 i've been missing out a lot on vk these days, but that virge track sounds pretty awesome! i agree that it has an older vk sound, which might be why i liked it instantly.

@emmny i always enjoy reading your blurbs ;u; ktk never fail to impress me, how could you ever call them a flop lol j/k. mei's vocals are always fun and for some reason i keep thinking that sound he makes at the beginning is a burp lol. i've never heard of shellmy until now but that ballad is beautiful. songs about rain are always nice and i hope you keep on featuring them pls~ :>

@fitear1590 i share the same feelings towards pelican fanclub's new album too....i miss their shoegazy sound and now they're kinda just alternative rock. i think the album will grow on me though. i haven't given it much listen yet but 'trash trace' is one of the tracks that stood out to me. that fin. track was surprisingly lovely too i think i'll check them out!

Edited by plastic_rainbow

Sign in to follow this