Sign in to follow this  
patientZERO

Instru-metal

This thread is dedicated to instrumental metal music. I have quite a catalogue of good instrumental metal bands, from djentlemen music to technometal and figured I'd spread some of that over here for people who don't particularly care about vocals. Are there MH people who dig this too? Here's some picks of not-so-widely-known instru-metal (I skipped the obligatory Animals As Leaders, Russian Circles, Cloudkicker, and Pelican).

Cool thread idea! I love me some Animals As Leaders, and used to listen to Chimp Spanner and Angel Vivaldi quite a lot too (been neglecting them a bit lately somehow).

Also, the band Blotted Science recently came to my attention, gonna try them out soon. The mighty Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) is on bass!

It's not what I listen to the most, butvwhen I do it's usually doom/stoner/sludge. Sonic Flower, Bongripper, Belzebong and so on. Superb bands!

On 2/24/2017 at 1:37 AM, Jigsaw9 said:

Cool thread idea! I love me some Animals As Leaders, and used to listen to Chimp Spanner and Angel Vivaldi quite a lot too (been neglecting them a bit lately somehow).

Also, the band Blotted Science recently came to my attention, gonna try them out soon. The mighty Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) is on bass!

I'm digging this! I didn't know of them until now!

Here's another band that I forgot to include that has been doing the instru-metal thing for a while now.

The first time I heard Animals as Leaders... it blew my mind. like wtf Not only for all these complex riffs and impossible sweep picking passages, but the guy was also using a 8-string guitar. Just amazing. Ever since, I've been listening more and more to this kind of music. Especially when it got heavy riffs on it (I don't really like to call it 'djent' haha). I liked almost all the songs on this thread, tho.

Edited by For my dears

The only instru-metal (love that word haha) I've been listening to lately is Buckethead and Vipassi. The fact if whether Buckethead can be qualified as metal or not is arguable but thing is the man is incredibly gifted. I love when the music gets progressive or simply when it adds that avant-gardiste touch. Really amazing stuff.

And for the curious ones, Vipassi is the side band of three Ne Obliviscaris members and they play what sounds like (instrumental) technical death metal to my ears. The bass line sounds exactly like Obscura but that ain't a bad thing at all. This shit is enjoyable as fuck. 

I also enjoy listening to some Angel Vivaldi sometimes when I'm on the mood. And obviously AAL, which are absolutely great. Not a huge fan of instrumental metal though, as I love to have some sick gutturals on my metal but hey, sometimes it's exactly what you need. So this thread is a good thing for me to discover some stuff. 

Really nice Visutox, I really really dig Buckethead too! I've been listening to his pike series a lot, tho I only like the heavy riffing ones haha. His mellow stuff is also nice, but what I really like is when he just shreds and noodle it haha.

I listen to a ton of instrumental music, not just metal. But a good portion of it is instrumental metal. As guitarist I'm usually attracted to a lot of technical and guitar shred type material.

Really recommended Angle Vivaldi for technical, yet very emotional and melodic material.

Another of my favorites is Polyphia, They're recent material has toned down the metal for a more rock vibe but they're still incredibly amazing.

Another great release was the recent solo album by Jason Richardson. The guy is an absolute monster on guitar. 

Gotta love early intervals for their djenty prog metal.

And of course anything by Keith marrow, or Jeff Loomis

Be back for round 2.

1 hour ago, For my dears said:

Really nice Visutox, I really really dig Buckethead too! I've been listening to his pike series a lot, tho I only like the heavy riffing ones haha. His mellow stuff is also nice, but what I really like is when he just shreds and noodle it haha.

Yeaaah! I think that everything he does is top quality stuff, and the fact that it's diversified is a good point since it can be enjoyed by many. His shredding level is god tier, love it too.

25 minutes ago, Panda_bear said:

Another great release was the recent solo album by Jason Richardson. The guy is an absolute monster on guitar. 

I've been interested to check out his album for ages and might as well do it in the next few days, I really enjoyed watching that playthrough when it came out. The guy's skills are mental.

Polyphia's latest album is pretty good too! 

Paul wardingham is quite dope

Sithu Aye- His material ranges from metal inspired rock pieces to shreddy rock type stuff.

Can never go wrong with paul gilbert.  One of the original shredders.  Guy has some sick skills and inspired a ton of modern metal players for a reason

Might be cheating since not all of their album is instrumental, but nonetheless it's some great, epic and modern sounding metal. 

Might also be cheating but both of Shokrans albums have instrumental versions and they are just as amazing without vocals. Djenty, technical, Egyptian prog metal.

Edited by Panda_bear

Great stuff, Angel Vivaldi is really good! He reminds me of Plini. All those bands are good. I've always been a Paul Gilbert fan so I'm happy to see him being mentioned here haha. Oh, and Jeff Loomis is a monster, gotta love his Jason Becker covers.

Last year I came across this excellent instrumental post-metal band and their album "Nuit Noire" is really amazing. Like I said before I'm not much of an instrumental music listener but this album really blew me away. The atmosphere is simply fascinating. Highly recommended. 

Also checked out Vow of Volition lately and their new album is solid af. Cool instrumental prog metalcore, very good stuff. 

On 2/24/2017 at 1:51 AM, Bear said:

It's not what I listen to the most, butvwhen I do it's usually doom/stoner/sludge. Sonic Flower, Bongripper, Belzebong and so on. Superb bands!

I thought Belzebong did use vocals.

Sign in to follow this