BrenGun

Avex pictures enforces export ban on Blu-rays, DVD, and CDs

Avex pictures enforces export ban on Blu-rays, DVD, and CDs

Today, select CDJapan customers checked their inbox to find a very depressing email. Publishing company Avex Pictures (owned by Avex Group) has suddenly decided to place an export ban on Blu-ray, DVD, and CDs. This means that they cannot be sold outside of Japan. Avex Pictures is responsible for publishing a plethora of popular anime including YURI!!! on ICE, ONE PIECE, and Mr. Osomatsu.

Every single online shop in Japan has to abide by these new rules. The restriction begins promptly at 6:00PM (Japan Time UTC+9) on Feburary 15th, 2017. Customer service reps from CDJapan, and other popular online shops including Amazon.jp has said they will try to fulfill as many orders as possible before the deadline. There is currently no explanation from Avex Pictures as to why they are enforcing this new rule.

It is currently unknown if the restriction will also apply to artists and movies published under Avex Pictures. A full list of the anime titles, as well as other media published by Avex Pictures can be seen here.

The full email from CDJapan can be seen below

It seems this export ban now applies to all subsidiaries of Avex Group, so anything published by Avex will not be able to be shipped overseas. Screenshots can be seen below.

read all

http://aramajapan.com/news/avex-pictures-enforces-export-ban-on-blu-rays-dvd-and-cds/71087/

-----------

so we are doomed.

btw can someone find avex Japanese message on this? 

Edited by BrenGun

This is what Jim Sterling calls a "Nintendo move"- taking a good situation and fucking it up with a smile on your face the whole time. There's no conceivable benefit to doing this and it's going to bite them sooner rather than later. They legitimately don't want international money and I don't understand why as they don't have to front the shipping costs in the first place.

I know for a fact a lot of animation companies rely on sales of Blu-Ray DVDs to make up profit margins lost on animation. Even if only one or two of those were sold overseas that's extra money potentially not going into their pockets anymore. The lack of explanation is even more puzzling. I'd like more info before going all in.

huh, fuck.
any word on if this policy applies only to firsthand retailers, or does it extend to secondhand shops like closetchild & individuals selling their old discs on amazon?

Oh wow, Avex doing their best to imitate the "stereotype" (read: actual fact which gets covered by the most naive asiaphiles) of Asian marketing principles, i.e. protectionism.

I wonder how this will affect or precede their domestic activities though (like whether this was a "good move" from their perspective per se)

1 minute ago, Komorebi said:

Wait, is this ban applied to music too?

Apparently so. People ordering AVEX CDs are getting their orders cancelled.

Just now, Peace Heavy mk II said:

Wait, is it just AvexPictures or the entirety of AvexGroup? They're a huge conglomerate so it would be even stupider if the latter were the case.

Everything so far points to the latter.

Jokes aside, I'm impressed Asagi managed to get out of Avex with his career and indie label more or less intact, when there's tons of other artists that have attempted the same and have found themselves threatened.

Yup, everything is banned. Try to buy a waggaki band CD right now or anyone else on Avex Trax.

This just fucked my day. I was greatly looking forward to the new Waggaki Band album next month. Hell, I might have even dropped the stupid amount of money on the limited edition too. I know I have a fair amount of Avex CDs in my collection. It's basically a big "fuck you." Protectionism is one thing, but that is usually in the reverse direction (banning foreign imports). This just seems to have no real benefit whatsoever for anyone involved.

Fucking outrageous. I will never understand why these companies have to do stupid shit like this. Their loss.

Edited by midi:nette

I read on neogaf that last year avex opened a branch in north america and that maybe they dont want avex jpn and america competing against each other  -  could that be the reason? 

Edited by seurong

3 minutes ago, seurong said:

I read on neogaf that last year avex opened a branch in north america and that maybe they dont want avex jpn and america competing against each other  -  could that be the reason? 

There's more to the world than North America though.

6 minutes ago, seurong said:

It's possible that's the "reason." It's still stupid though. I don't want crappy subpar localized stuff. I want the actual thing.

Edited by Dudemanguy