01K1NEMA

Strange deaths in visual kei music

Has anyone noticed how many artists in the VK scene die of brain aneurisms? Strange sicknesses? I always thought it was strange, and not the whole truth- maybe the other members were covering for suicides or something. Has anyone ever noticed this?

but if suicides not considered as taboo as it is in the west, why not say they've committed suicide. Maybe VK biz is as shifty as Hollywood.

4 minutes ago, anadentone said:

but if suicides not considered as taboo as it is in the west, why not say they've committed suicide. Maybe VK biz is as shifty as Hollywood.

suicide isn't as taboo en masse in japan, but when it comes to individual families, there can be a multitude of reasons in which they chose not to disclose the true cause of death as suicide. it's still an act that carries a lot of shame, especially for families that might be confused, guilty, or upset regarding it. also, these vk dudes are celebrities in anyway and don't have to deal with fuckton of scrutiny from actual pres outside of their own fans, so they aren't necessarily under the same pressure to disclose a suicide as such.

Edited by emmny

Yeah, I realize lots of these bandomen always seems to die with some rare disease or something.

Not sure if real or not, just thought, it's seems shady. Plus, never know where their grave or monastery which their ashes kept are located.

Sometimes, I got these crazy stupid thoughts that some of them actually still alive with new identity, living as regular people, salary men, 2 kids and such, cos their music career didn't work out, lmao. :P

1 hour ago, SEKHMET said:

Plus, never know where their grave or monastery which their ashes kept are located.

because disclosing their burial location so that the rabid fangirls, local and not, could hang their moist pantycranes as a gesture of love and devotion only makes sense??????

2 hours ago, SEKHMET said:

Yeah, I realize lots of these bandomen always seems to die with some rare disease or something.

Not sure if real or not, just thought, it's seems shady. Plus, never know where their grave or monastery which their ashes kept are located.

Sometimes, I got these crazy stupid thoughts that some of them actually still alive with new identity, living as regular people, salary men, 2 kids and such, cos their music career didn't work out, lmao. :P

Everyone knows that hide had some major surgery done and changed his name to JUN, so everything is possible I guess.

2 hours ago, nekkichi said:

because disclosing their burial location so that the rabid fangirls, local and not, could hang their moist pantycranes as a gesture of love and devotion only makes sense??????

People can pray for their souls too. shrugs

9 hours ago, 01K1NEMA said:

Has anyone noticed how many artists in the VK scene die of brain aneurisms? Strange sicknesses? I always thought it was strange, and not the whole truth- maybe the other members were covering for suicides or something. Has anyone ever noticed this?

Are we sure this isn't confirmation bias? Visual kei musicians tend to be younger. Are the younger people dying from strange sicknesses more often, or is it that that we tend to remember the ones who died? We must go deeper!

There have been a few musicians that have died that's left me wondering what happened. Jasmine You of course is one, but there was another death recently that I chalked up to cancer but never got a straight answer out of. Probably never will. In this regard, I never understood Japanese culture when it came to grieving a lost one. I understand the pain and loss of having to bury your son, but fans want closure too. Half the time fans aren't allowed at the actual ceremony or given any real details as to what happened, so we're left to form our own vigils and cry together. To chalk that off as not frustrating isn't being truthful to myself. But if I were in that situation, I wouldn't share causes of death because that opens up the door to more questioning, scrutiny, and criticism. There's always that asshole out there that has to make "bird flu" or "gay disease" jokes even when we don't know why and the band/family/management doesn't want to deal with that. Which is fair, but doesn't resolve my curiosity.

Now let's pour out some tea for a second. You are hitting on something important rather vaguely if you expand your original question to just illnesses. Visual kei musicians come down with the weirdest diseases including:

• aneurysms
  • sub cranial hemorrhages
  • brain cancer
  • sudden deafness
  • pneumonia
  • heart failure at 32

There's a longer list than this. Ever roll your eyes reading news and go "I have never heard of this disease before HOW?". Good to know I'm not the only one. I totally think the way the scene is set up and the way the artists are taken advantage up sets them up to contract these chronic illnesses. This is where Japanese culture and karoshi comes in a little, but I think it's even simpler than that. Bands who are almost always in a shaky situation financially may not want to rock the boat in any direction. Exploitative labels who work their bands to death don't want to look bad. Perhaps even a band member wants to separate his on-stage persona from his personal life and admitting to his fans that he will die shatters the visual kei illusion of timelessness and youthful exuberance? I'm not too sure. Not that visual kei musicians are immune to freak diseases, but some of these sicknesses have to be stress-induced or stress-related. I can think of a lot of people who wouldn't want others poking into the depths of how the scene works. There's some things there we probably don't want to know.

2 hours ago, nekkichi said:

is it a Gigi Gorgeous diss???? 👀👀👀 I can't tell

i literally have no idea who that even is, so if it was then it's a diss coming from the astral plane or some shit tbqh

Also @Zeus, to add to that, I sometimes wonder how many of these undocumented deaths may or may not be related to alcohol- or drug-related causes, 'cause god fucking knows there's been enough rock musicians from the western world dying due to accidental OD's and shit like that. I can especially see how that sort of thing could be seen as 'shameful' by the victim's families in such cases

Edited by Tokage
who were the musicians who died from sudden deafness tho jej

@Tokage don't forget self-asphyxiation. i swear it's just high level massage tech tho. I'm also pretty sure you're right on about drugs and alcohol although I left those out since I was focusing mostly on viral diseases. The mental ones are much harder to spot.

I was referencing Kyo with sudden deafness. The story is he was performing on stage when his right timpani suddenly burst. I imagine there were warning signs before hand. If there weren't, that's even crazier.

In the suicide case we have some examples, like hide and first composition of THE PIASS, in other hand we have too a lot of mental diseases.

But in those years the traffic accidents are increased too, so there is another point to vk stars die :(

9 hours ago, nekkichi said:

9 hours ago, Tokage said:

Jasmine You Found Alive at Business Meeting in Dubai

i want you two removed from the internet at ONCE

I have always had a feeling that stuff like overdoses are more often reported in terms of the physical issue caused by the overdose.
Not to say I think every brain aneurysm or hemorrhage is a case of kakuseizai or anything, but any combination of smoking/heavy drinking/upper use puts you at a bigger risk than other people in the same age bracket. Plus like Zeus said, throw stress into the mix and it's all the more dangerous.

There is a pretty big example where a member of a very popular band passed away and the family asked for the reason not to be disclosed. The director of his label casually let slip the cause of his death was suicide in an interview online. Fans were very, very troubled to find this out, and a lot of them said they wished they had never seen it. There's definitely a tendency to not disclose suicide but since no one else has mentioned it yet I think it's in part to prevent fans from doing the same (hide copycats being an illustrative example of this happening). It's a real danger in the best of situations, but the themes and image of visual kei attract self-harmers and people who aren't always in a great mental state on top of that.

11 hours ago, Zeus said:

pneumonia

This is actually a very common cause of death in Japan, believe it or not.

3 hours ago, cvltic said:

the themes and image of visual kei attract self-harmers and people who aren't always in a great mental state on top of that.

I wish you weren't so right about this...

Just out of curiosity, when did these deaths occur? I've noticed that most of the health problems I've seen took place from 2012 on, which would be one year after Fukushima. You had Rami of Aldious suddenly quitting in 2012 due to a "brain disease" and the super-fit Armmy of Gacharic Spin having to leave in 2011 or 12, trying for a comeback, then suddenly dying last year and no cause given. These are young women in their 20s. They should be in their primes and indestructible.

2 hours ago, Traxan said:

Just out of curiosity, when did these deaths occur? I've noticed that most of the health problems I've seen took place from 2012 on, which would be one year after Fukushima. You had Rami of Aldious suddenly quitting in 2012 due to a "brain disease" and the super-fit Armmy of Gacharic Spin having to leave in 2011 or 12, trying for a comeback, then suddenly dying last year and no cause given. These are young women in their 20s. They should be in their primes and indestructible.

I swear she did some solo stuff on her own after leaving though.

She did. She teamed with former GS guitarist Eita. They called themselves Takaeita, running their names together. They were playing gigs, had released songs.