Here we are boys and girls.

Nintendo's long awaited and mysterious console has been revealed to us as of Thursday 10/20.

The Nintendo Switch

Release Date: MARCH 2017

So what the hell is it?

The Nintendo Switch appears to be a console/handheld system tablet with 2 detachable one-handed controllers (called "Joy-Cons") that snap alongside the screen to act as a "3DS XXL", and yet the tablet has a second function, which involves a "Nintendo Switch Dock" that acts as both a charger and a console for gaming on your TV.

HERE'S WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR

RUMORS TO BE CONFIRMED

We will have to wait until we draw closer to the release date for more details on the console's specifications.

Now, I haven't purchased a Nintendo console since the N64 15-20 years ago lol but I will not lie, this is VERY tempting, especially if this will get 3rd party support, and the library of the Nintendo store will allow me to play classics on it.

What do you guys think about this?

Edited by YuyoDrift

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I haven't bought once since the gamecube because it's never actually appealled to me. The third party support seems pretty damn tasty to me and if Nintendo wants to make a note in the current game market it's a move they have to make. The NVIDIA involvement definitely peaked my interest as well since their tech has always been pretty damn solid when it comes to personal experience. I'm pretty excited for it and all since it seems like a great idea...

But what I really want to see is a an actual demo of the product, specs, and what the battery life is. 

Now this is what the wii u should've been. THIS is what people have been asking for (well, I did at least) not some confused console-handheld that only works 20 cm from the main unit.

I already own a bunch of nintendo consoles which annoys me because they released way too many nintendo DS rehashes with exclusives for each...but the thing is Nintendo is FANTASTIC for handheld casual games and I will for sure be purchasing this if it really turns out to be good as it looks.

Atlus, RPG factory, Spike Chunsoft...This is sounding too good to be true, I can't wait to see what's coming.

Edited by Platy

well the console itself looks quite tempting, yes, but somehow i think it's more mainstream/retards-oriented with GOOD GRAPHIC AND SHADERS AND SHIT, ugh. 

so yeah, not much hopes about it here. but we'll see, maybe there'll be some good games to play.

I was never in the market for any new Nintendo console anyway..... but I just wanted to say how much I HAAAAAAAAAAAATE the name

Now I have to read a million "Switch" puns in gaming news headlines and forum discussions. I just browsed one single thread tangentially related to Switch and saw the puns and wanted to punch a hole in my screen. I'm just going to do my best to ignore its existence.

On a more general note..

"Wii" was really bad, but at least it wasn't a common word that has awkward mouthfeel.

I'm playing Pokemon on Switch. I'm buying a Switch. I'm going to switch from PC to Switch. The game runs poorly on Switch. The Switch version is the best version. Which Switch game should I buy first? I got the itch to buy a Switch. Hit the switch to turn on the Switch.

ughhhhjhhhhhhhhhhhjjghhjjnnngmnbmhjjktgjkmbnmhj,hj,hj,

.. maybe I should say something positive.

The idea of a console that seamlessly transforms into a portable is very interesting.

It'd be nice (for me) if Sony did something like this with Vita/PS4. I mean, without the limitations of Remote Play.

Then again, these days I don't bring my Vita outside of my house. If I'm gonna "game on the go", I'm more likely to just pull out my phone. And, ooh guess what, my phone can Remote Play provided I have a good Wifi connection and preferably a controller with me!

Edited by peffy

It seems pretty confusing from the description. I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the Wii but I'm kind of interested in this.

I was debating on getting a Wii U or a Vita recently, and went with the latter just because I only wanted a Wii U specifically for one game. I'm glad I held off from it for now. The Switch really does sound like it's what the Wii U was meant to be. I'll wait on feedback. I'm excited for the release but I'm in no rush to get it until quite a long time period. That's to see if any games catch my eye that are exclusive to the system.

As always Nintendo goes to something "new". They seems so focus on mobility with console gaming which is a very good point in my opinion, and it's what the wii u would have been at the beginning... My only concerns is about the screen and the base added-value. I'm not sure about the playability with 4 players with a screen of that size.
I didn't expected so much so I'm not disappointed at all.

Game console ?

The best console will be famicom

The best gaming will be when having

fun fighting over player 1 and 2

(totally my opinion)

Hope Switch will give me back

those experience

---------------------------------------

again 9+1 .. (=v=)

---------------------------------------

my office mates are getting a bunch of Switches to play Splatoon 2. It became a small tradition to organize Splatoon tournaments between IT companies in Tokyo

The hype is REAL

It's f*cking Xenoblade Chronicles 2!!!!

Did you guys watch the presentation?? Many good announcements and new Zelda as a launch game! I wonder when I'll manage to buy it..... >_<

Also it's funny how some people are saying the Switch is what WiiU was supposed to be, because to me it feels like the WiiU is what Wii was supposed to be. XD

Nintendo's been going to shit lately but Mario Odyssey looks fuckin good and amazing as hell imo

WTF Nintendo...

$400 price tag in Canada. Plus $90 (!!!!!!!!!!) for a pro controller. Paid subscription required for online play & 1 free NES or SNES game per month. Only 32 GB hard drive so you basically have to buy/use an extra micro SD card. Good luck with that. 

(and yeah, I still hate the name)

For comparison... current prices on Amazon Canada:

PS4 Slim with Uncharted 4 = $329

PS4 Controller = $61

Xbox One S with game = $358-380

Xbox One Controller = $65

And current Nintendo console MSRPs:

New 3DS XL = $240

2DS = $110

Wii U with Mario Kart 8 = $330

And the software... As usual, their big budget first party games look promising, but the third party support is mostly laughable. Skyrim, lol. So many ports of old games. ...

I'm sure the Nintendo fans will buy this console and love it. There isn't much here to convince an ex-fan, though. This kind of feels like a Wii U situation all over again, except they're not going to have a popular handheld to fall back on this time.

lol Canada and Europe always getting the shaft on these things, I'm sorry :(

I don't think it's a Wii U situation at all tho, there's so much buzz and hype around this thing that's totally different from the WiiU, nobody talked about he WiiU like how people are talking about the switch, it's totally different from a commercial standpoint. Nintendo has actually done a really good job this time around with letting people know exactly what the switch is and what it does, and not beat around the bushes about it. Their advertisement and marketing is on point as well. Now the press conference did leave a bad taste in my mouth like most people, but let's be real, that has always been the case with Nintendo conferences, they just don't have that spark that the western conferences have or more recently the Sony conferences. That's part of the reason why they went to the online video method, and also that's why the wiiU was such a misunderstood console XD
but I digress, the launch lineup at this time doesn't look the most exciting, will most people buy the console just for Zelda, probably. Is it a smart decision, absolutely not.

Can we talk about the fact that this thing is not gonna be region locked for a second tho? Because that shit is huge!

1 hour ago, Original Saku said:

Can we talk about the fact that this thing is not gonna be region locked for a second tho? Because that shit is huge!

Yaasss I feel like Nintendo FINALLY understood that this is important! Taiko no Tatsujin for everyone finally!! :D

I agree that it's totally different from the WiiU... Also there are a lot more companies this time  around, so I don't think it's weird that they're bringing up games from the previous generations, I actually think that's good thinking. It's a start. Though the launch lineup may not sound so good, they're (as always) betting on their exclusive trademark games like Zelda, Super Mario and Mario Kart, but also games that were a huge success on the previous consoles like a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles and a new Splatoon... So yeah, the launch games are especially focused on Nintendo fans and I don't see anything wrong with it.  Now it also depends on what they're planning to do next.

I have a Wii but I could never buy a WiiU, though I kinda wanted it... but I also felt a little bit betrayed because it felt too much like "Nintendo Wii: The Full Version" to me. Still, I'd have bought it if I had the money, but it's true I didn't feel the hype then and boy, do I feel it now!! My (financial) situation isn't much better than it was around that time, but now I'm seriously considering buying it. Ofc I know only buying it won't do and that I'll have to buy games too and all, but it seems sorta possible... or maybe it's just that I really, really want it lol. Not only for what it does in general (so many good ideas there!), but because I like those exclusives too.

I'm not sure I can call myself a "Nintendo fan" or anything like that, but I like them and I like games. Nintendo is all about the games and even if they're sometimes really "mean" to some fans (and they are), they still make some really good games in general. So it's kinda sad to see how they're not as 'relevant' in the gaming world as they used to be... a lot of that is due to poor marketing aaand probably some bad decisions, I think. Many people also complain about the graphics, but I think that's kind of missing the point when it comes to them. I wrote more than I had planned but, I mean, I'm feeling the hype greatly this time and it feels GOOD (...also frustrating lol).

What I've been wondering is.......the 3DS is also reaching its end, probably, and Switch IS *also* a portable console. So.......Will they release any Pokémon games there? Will we get to play Pokémon on a big screen??

i do think we'll be able to play pokemon on it in the future. The price isn't too bad, so I'll be keeping an eye on any future releases.

I'm going to the Nintendo Switch launch event this sunday, I'm excited to get to play it. 

too pricey, $80 so my gf and I can play together without our hands cramping I dont think so.

also, seriously nintendo? charging for their shitty online they're insane. betting they want to charge $60/month as well which is why they haven't said anything about pricing.

people really need to stop paying Sony and Microsoft, and now nintendo, just so they can use what they already paid for.

Edited by Aeolus

So after getting to play it and trying a few games out,  I think it's a good console. The screen is big enough to play games but small enough to carry it around. 

The controllers are a little too small,  but it's a matter of getting used to them, the console comes with a joystick kind of thing that you can stick the tiny controllers in and turn it into an xbox/ps4 controller of sorts,  which was very comfortable to hold. 

It also has motion controls,  I didn't see any game that used them as well as most wii games have,  but it's there. 

Handheld mode and TV  mode both run smoothly. Graphics are obviously not Nintendo's selling point,  but I saw variety and creativity which is good enough for me. Imagine wiiu' s graphics a bit more polished. 

Seem like Nintendo is breathing new life into the Mario series,  I don't care for Mario games (including the kart series)  but after trying the new games out I'm pleasantly surprised. 

For a 2 in 1 console,  the price is okay. So,  probably something I'd buy in the future. 

Edit: I'm also not a zelda fan,  but the demo for the new one had me impressed. Huge world,  easy and smooth game play. 

Edited by Platy

Figured we should get a Nintendo Switch topic here!

Has anybody bought it yet?

Any specific titles your excited for?

Want to play online with fellow MH-people?

Considering the lack of titles so far I realize most people haven't bought it yet, however I bought mine last week with Splatoon 2 and I am Setsuna as well.

Haven't been playing Splatoon 2 yet, but I am Setsuna is a really fun JRPG.

Looking forward to the new mario game, fire emblem, metroid prime 4 among others. I think that Nintendo will get a lot of positive response if they just play their cards right this time (*coughs* wii u was shite *coughs*).

If anyone here wants to play multiplayer then just drop your FC and I'll add you. I plan on buying Mario Kart Deluxe soon as well. 

I bought it on launch day with Zelda and boy did I regret it. Once the Zelda hype died down I realized the game kinda sucks. It was a huge rather empty open world with very minimal story compared to other Zelda titles.  I also bought Fast RMX, I Am Setsuna and Bomberman digital on launch day. I am still debating on if I should buy Splatoon 2 or not.

I Am Setsuna and Cave Story + are the best things I've played on the Switch and they're not even new games.

I also have Mario Kart Deluxe digital. This is my physical collection for now:

20245731_1671041386262811_92004284966512

Currently only waiting for Monster Hunter XX next month.

My FC if anyone wants to add me :) SW-4530-2608-2226

Edited by rekzer