beni

MH FEATURED POLL #51: What is your favourite Holiday?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #50  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite Holiday?

• Christmas
    • New Year's
    • Halloween
    • Thanksgiving
    • Easter
    • Valentine's
    • Hanukkah
    • Kwanza
    • Other (please specify in the comments below)

Cool yo.

Mine has got to be Thanksgiving, more so b/c I always spend it with the friends.

Black friday shopping is fun here in Chicago b/c its utter chaos lol.

Has got to be Christmas for me. My family don't really celebrate anything other than Easter and Christmas, and even the latter isn't how it used to be while Easter isn't bothered with anymore. But any excuse to get the family together again is always nice, so it has to be that for me, even if our Christmas has to be an earlier or later date to get us all in one house. I've always liked the anticipation for it at the end of every year. Plus, anything centered around Christmas, like in movies and music is utterly adorable (I speak mainly for the weather and romance in the snow). It's like the best present in itself.

Now I want to watch Love Actually but it's only October. .-.

Christmas and Thanksgiving are really the only ones my family does anything for and Christmas is basically Thanksgiving+, so I gotta go with Christmas. 

Definitely New Year's. It still holds that kind of ~magical feel to me somehow, much like Christmas used to do when I was younger. Plus I get to spend it with my closest irl friends talking trash and drinking, so yeah. Don't really care about the others.

Considering Orthodox origins of my family (hence certain traditions) and my overall lack of gusto and interest towards certain means of Finnish celebration, the "blasting" period for me personally would be a few days before NYE, NYE and post-NYE week(s). The former mentions mostly are about getting around with good chaps and having a huge blast, best shittalking and all kinds of fun, whereas the latter is mostly about getting together with my fams and celebrating festivity aspects of Orthodox Christmas (read: not related nor a part of any religion but I am more or less connected to Orthodox traditions rather than diminished Santa Claus festivities in my country (RIP)).

I'm trying to decide whether I eat and drink more on Christmas, New Years or September 18 (Chile's 4th of July). 

Since I come from a Catholic family Chistmas is filled with religious spirit and boring masses and chanting and that side of the family I can't stand. But free books, free books, free books <3 and the foooood

New Years mean my favorite cousins are in town and we drink until we run out of booze or we just know hangover won't be pretty. Whatever happens first. Also, we stay safe and comfy at my place and play games all night long. 

And September 18 means a week of vacation... Usually for everyone but me, but I eat like a pig for a week straight and the whole month is very festive...

I think I'll go with NYE.

Edited by Komorebi

Christmas for sure. Nothing better than having a warm drink around a fire listening to christmas music/watching christmas movies. The best.

Halloween!

Because October is the best month and Fall is the best season. Whenever I see that dancing pumpkin head man gif on tumblr or twitter I know i've been blessed and autumn is finally here.

Warm colors everywhere, it's not super cold and still a bit warm, spoops all over the place, watching horror movies...

Then it ends and christmas shit comes out in the shops, that's when I start to feel miserable. 

Edited by Platy

I like any holiday that

1. gives me a day off from work

2. does not require me to say holiday greetings

3. does not require me to buy/receive gifts & cards

4. does not require me to attend parties or gatherings

So that's like.. Labour Day, Victoria Day, Civic Holiday, Family Day, Canada Day. Most of those are Canada-specific work holidays, but you get my point.

The WORST holiday, by far, is Christmas. As someone who's worked in retail before, there are very few things I hate more than Christmas carols and having to say/hear "Merry Christmas" 500 times during every day of the "holiday season".

Christmas is one of the few things in life I have inexplicable juvenile enthusiasm for. There's still plenty of young children at my parents house, so the festivities have remained largely unchanged ever since I was a child, and thus I still get to relive the genuine children's Christmas joy and decorations that nobody would ever bother putting up if there weren't kids around. Since the youngest is 7 years old I'd imagine that we only have about 4 or maybe even 5 proper Christmases left before everyone is too old to care about that junk. Christmas is the only remaining connection to my youth and better times. 

Every other holiday I dislike to varying degrees. Worst is the American rubbish that's being imported here for the past decade by cynical marketing men like Halloween or Valentine's. It wasn't even that long when shops barely even put up decorations for those, but now especially Halloween is unfortunately prevalent during its mercifully brief season. Despite both of them lasting only a few days ( as opposed to the month and a half of Christmas junk, also undoubtedly the fault of the Americans ), they're inherently offensive to our true evropean character and should have been shot at the border with the businessmen trying to peddle them. 

Midsummer's eve and easter aren't that bad, I don't mind their intentions. I would however prefer that we'd get rid of them because I don't like the shops being closed during easter and around midsummer's eve the city is dreadfully empty with everyone away at their moldy log cabins in the countryside. 

where I am from, Halloween is not a thing, but since moving to Japan - Halloween became my favorite holiday of them all. 

Easter because of the chocolate, I don't get to eat it quite often and it's one of the few things I enjoy eating. Christimas (and New Year's) is the suckiest because of what peffy said and ^ here Helloween isn't a thing.

Thanksgiving and Christmas, because I get to see lots of family members I wouldn't be able to meet up with otherwise, and because the food is always amazing. Most of the people in my family aren't very festive, but they really go all out in the kitchen whenever they have an excuse to.

I voted Halloween cause I love the excitement I see in other people. I always have elaborate plans for costumes early in the year but I always end up getting lazy and bailing. Half the time I don't even dress up. :|