Tanishi

Top 10 Visual Kei Artists According to Monochrome Heaven (as of 17 September 2016)

So I gathered the data out of this thread:

https://www.monochrome-heaven.com/topic/26485-your-top-10-favorite-visual-kei-bands/?page=1

and put it into excel, sorted from highest to lowest and have found the top 10 favorite visual kei bands according to the community. Most of this list will surprise no one but I thought there might be some interest.

Note: I didn't include 'honorable mentions' on this list just the poster's top 10. I also didn't include rank data in spreadsheet because it would be too much effort and some posters didn't rank their list.

1. Dir en grey (28 votes)

DIR2.jpg

It comes as no surprise that dir en grey are number 1. Everyone on this forum knows who they are and they are probably the most influential VK band of the last 15 years. Next.

2. D'espairs Ray (22 votes)

7465-onghw2kmxf.jpg

An alternative metal band loved my many during their time and one of the most popular 2000s VK bands. Sadly their vocalist Hizumi caught a rare throat condition and the band was forced to disband for the sake of his health. Still many people have fond memories of these guys and their music was well liked in both Japan and overseas. Known for their energetic live shows.

3. The GazettE (19 votes)

605-a.jpg

Another extremely popular band from the 2000s. Many people love to hate them and many people hate to love them but whenever they release something, the VK community catches on fire. It comes as no surprise seeing these guys here.

4. Malice Mizer (17 votes)

malice_mizer_desktop_by_yukina.jpg

One of the most influential VK bands of the 90s and one of the few 90s VK bands that overseas fans have actually heard of. Playing a distinctive style of visual kei, symphonic/gothic rock and neoclassical darkwave, they have a small but legendary discography and there still are many bands imitating their style to this day. They faced many challenges throughout their career that people on this site probably know already (lead singer quitting to become a celebrity, death of their drummer) and eventually disbanded (or "indefinite hiatas"). 

5. Lynch. (16 votes)

groupe2587.jpg

The most popular 'nagoya kei' band of the last decade or so. They have been churning out multiple releases a year since 2004 and while many people call them mediocre, they still have a lot of dedicated fans who follow their every release. Their concept is "uniting heavy music with beautiful melodies".

6/7. deadman / Girugämesh (14 votes)

22321-deadman-qlsy.jpg

Deadman were a nagoya kei band from the 2000s. A bit surprising to see them this high but it seems they have a strong cult following on this website. They're music has strong alternative rock influences and they're releases were very well received during their time. 

22100-girugamesh-461p.jpg

Girugämesh were a 2000s visual kei band who mostly sticked to nu metal and metalcore throughout their career. They were really popular in the international VK community while nu metal was dying in the west but became an internet meme after being featured on a Sakuracon anime convention advertisement. Their newer releases were poorly received but many people hold their early discography in high regard. They broke up in July of this year and it was the biggest VK break up of the year (so far...).

8. Renter en soi (13 votes)

8116188.jpg

An alternative metal band from the early-mid 2000s loved my many during their short time active. People praised Satsuki's voice, their atmospheric production, and the band's ability to write strong melodies in an alternative metal style. They broke up in 2008 before is was cool but they still hold an important place on many VK listener's ipods.

9/10. Buck Tick / DIV (12 votes)

Buck-Tick-buck-tick-28949719-720-532.jpg

Regardless whether you think Buck Tick qualifies as a visual kei band, you cannot deny their huge influence they have had on the looks and sound of visual kei as a whole. Forming in 1983, their music includes a wide range of influences including gothic rock, alternative rock, post punk, darkwave and electronic music. They are hugely successful in Japan and many of their releases are regarded as classics. If you like VK than these guys really are an essential listen.

divtop.jpg

The newest band on this list (formed in 2012) and the only band on this list leaning towards the pop side of visual kei. Honestly I didn't know these guys were this popular but it appears they have caused quite a stir in the community while I wasn't looking. Sadly they are disbanding in October so if you are in Japan this will likely be your last chance to see them live.

And for those interested, numbers 11-20:

- 9GOATS BLACK OUT (11 votes)
- MEJIBRAY (11)
- MUCC (11)
- LUNA SEA (10)
- Versailles (10)
- 12012 (8)
- AvelCain (8)
- Cali Gari (8)
- Kagrra (8)
- Plastic Tree (8)

Spoiler

Numbers 21-50 for those extra interested ;) The number is the amount of votes I'm not going to bother reformatting.

Kiryu 7

Kuroyume 7

Lareine 7

Matenrou Opera 7

Phantasmagoria 7

Born 7

D 7

Grieva 6

ALSDEAD 6

D.I.D 6

Nightmare 6

baroque 5

DOG inThePWO 5

emmurée 5

Lycaon 5

Madeth Gray'll 5

Merry 5

Royz 5

SCREW 5

SID 5

Unite 5

vistlip 5

X Japan 5

xTRiPx 5

Ayabie 5

DELUHI 5

Jupiter 5

OZ 5

Alice Nine 4

Aliene Ma'riage 4

Edited by fieldsgrow
EDIT: Added 21-50.

Huh, weird that DIV beat out Luna Sea. But cool list, I probably was one of the numbers behind Diru and Malice Mizer XD.

9 minutes ago, robkun said:

Huh, weird that DIV beat out Luna Sea. But cool list, I probably was one of the numbers behind Diru and Malice Mizer XD.

Definitely the biggest surprise of all. I thought if an oshare type band was going to make it it would be Ayabie or An Cafe. DIV being that high was my main reason for posting 11-20 just so people could see all the bands they beat.

Also another interesting note is X Japan only got 5 votes coming in at number 32-48 (a lot of bands got 5 votes).

nice to see DIV In the list!! i'm surprised there's actually one band i really like that made it into the top 20 lol

edit: btw it might not be a bad idea to list up to e.g. the top 50 under spoilers tags since i think people will be interested in those as well ^^

Edited by hiroki

8 minutes ago, hiroki said:

edit: btw it might not be a bad idea to list up to e.g. the top 50 under spoilers tags since i think people will be interested in those as well ^^

Done.

Not surprised at all by these results.

Very kind of you to take the time to compile this data. Good Job!

Most of these bands are/were levels above the rest in terms of talent, creativity, influence, and charisma.

Popularity is/was a major factor as well, and most of these bands have/had "it" to become nostalgic to the community.

My stomach turns to think that mejibray could have that many votes lol

Huh, surprised LUNA SEA, 9GBO, Versailles, & Mejibray isn't higher.

But Top 3 are agreeable results, I suppose!

Also, no love for Kaya? :o

So I only listen to like 5 out of the top 20, and of those I think BUCK-TICK, Malice Mizer and Dir en Grey are the only ones I've actually listened to a significant number of releases by...

I really need to get around to listening to more LUNA SEA. 

Shocked that Kuroyume aren't higher.

I have listen to 9 out the 10 bands on this list at one time or another.  However, I own at least one release from only four of these bands and only two of these bands I actually will claim I'm a fan of theirs.  DIV is the only band on this list, including all of the groups in the top 50, I never heard of or listen to.  I'm surprised there weren't a lot more newer bands in the top 20.  Other than DIV as I have no opinion of them, I can say the top of the crop that were listed are some tight selections, even though I heavily dislike The Gazette.

I never posted in that Top 10 favourites thread, therefore this list is invalid!

not that it would have changed anything

The only ones in the top 50 that I would've had in my list are D'espairsRay, the GazettE, and Kiryu

And I've never even heard of deadman before. Maybe not surprising.

Edited by peffy

Wow DIV was a surprise, but also it's nice to see some younger bands in the list because our taste grows and changes in time, and hype for new bands is very real. lol. Ahh MUCC were so close! X"D

I actually like the way this list turned out. This would make a good recommendation list for  people listening to vk for the first time.

Edited by sume7
added something.