Ito

Pokemon Go

12 hours ago, Spectralion said:

Actually, I'm kind of disappointed with Pokémon GO. 

I've been played Ingress, game that developed by Niantic too, earlier than Pokémon GO, since 2 years ago and that was amazing. I mean I must go outside to play it, got to meet people to farm, and make a huge operation between towns. I made pile and piles of friends from that game. Although it wreck my life, but I love the experience. 

...but, Pokémon GO somewhat slipped from my expectations. 

There is no communication system on the game.  When you play Pokémon GO, you don't really need to meet new people. You can thrive on your own. 

You meet new people just because there are so many people play it. 

...and if you amaze how sometimes Pokéstop has weird name. It's because basically Niantic use Ingress's portal to make those Pokéstop and we Ingress players are trying turn literally everything into portals. 

I fully agree with wanting in-game communication but you have to realize that right now, everyone that's playing essentially has the beta version of the game. It wasn't ready to be released but because people are assholes and were downloading the backdoor file cause they were jealous of Australia or New Zealand, Niantic had to release the game early(at least in the US). So of course right now we have server issues and bugs and no fun things like trading or in-game communication/adding friends or other poke-generations yet. Be patient. Don't give up on PoGO! yet. It's literally in the works. This game is still growing. c:

And thrive on your own?? I dunno about that. The whole point of PoGO! is to get out and walk and hunt. The only way I will walk around and look for pokemon is if I have someone with me. The US ain't safe and unless I have a designated PoGO! buddy I'm not getting out of my car. Ain't got time to get robbed at gunpoint for my shitty cellphone. XD

@doomboxand I had fun poke-hunting at a lure event last night. Didn't really catch anything notable(still pissed off about a stupid charmander than ran away from me and squirtle that ran away from her) but still enjoyed ourselves. The amount of people was freaking insane, I have never seen the park we went to so packed. Not a single parking spot open. It's really awesome. Especially when you're wandering around and hear "ABRA!! COME OVER HERE AND GET THIS ABRA!" Poke-bros looking out for other poke-bros~.

I surely don't get the hassle.

somehow this whole Pokemon thing went past me in my sweet childhood.

the only related memory I happen to carry  is 1998 scandal about 700 japanese kids getting dizzy or even epileptic over a certain Pokemon episode.

to summarize my unnecessary comment here, can I declare it Pokemon Global Offensive?

2 hours ago, fictioninhope said:

And thrive on your own?? I dunno about that. The whole point of PoGO! is to get out and walk and hunt. The only way I will walk around and look for pokemon is if I have someone with me. The US ain't safe and unless I have a designated PoGO! buddy I'm not getting out of my car. Ain't got time to get robbed at gunpoint for my shitty cellphone. XD

Ugh, man, I'm sorry about that. Honestly, perhaps it is is because of my area, but I have never been worried about walking around by myself while playing. It doesn't hurt that there is always a ton of people around playing as well. Last night I counted about 55 people out just chilling in a collection of 2 pokestops with lures up in my smallish town lol.

I've heard and read news it's now been released in the UK!

I'll have another go at it at some point. Every time I've been trying it, I have connection issues. I doubt I'll be into it much, but who knows? I'd like for it to work though, even if I can only get a starter. AT LEAST LET ME GET MY BULBA-CHAN!

I swear about 40-50% of the people in my city were playing it today, it was insane. The main park area in particular just had swarms of people all over trying to help each other find the best Pokemon. I hope they expand the feature set as time goes by, because with the amount of support this game is getting they could have something really special on their hands.

Also Team Mystic FTW.

My boyfriend and I play it together when we go on walks.  We always some how end up on the other side of our podunk, river-front town because we get too into it. 

In my town we have this tiny river-front park that no one ever goes to because it is always flooded 80% of the time.  It has five pokestops right next to each other which you can just sit right next to one and get the other four without walking.  A bunch of my friends and co-workers got arrested on Wednesday night because they were at the park  past curfew and the cops thought there was a huge meth sale going down at the park.  Other than that, my town is having a "Pokemon Go" marathon walk for the animal shelter tonight and another one for a cancer charity in a couple of weeks.

13 hours ago, Ito said:

Ugh, man, I'm sorry about that. Honestly, perhaps it is is because of my area, but I have never been worried about walking around by myself while playing. It doesn't hurt that there is always a ton of people around playing as well. Last night I counted about 55 people out just chilling in a collection of 2 pokestops with lures up in my smallish town lol.

I can walk around by myself in my neighborhood no problem but there are very few gyms or pokestops on my side of town. All the good places are in not-so-good parts of town. I also have anxiety that makes it hard for me to go to places I don't normally go without a buddy. I think my city has already had someone robbed at gunpoint for their phone while playing PoGO! without a buddy/group. :c

10 hours ago, fictioninhope said:

I can walk around by myself in my neighborhood no problem but there are very few gyms or pokestops on my side of town. All the good places are in not-so-good parts of town. I also have anxiety that makes it hard for me to go to places I don't normally go without a buddy. I think my city has already had someone robbed at gunpoint for their phone while playing PoGO! without a buddy/group. :c

That's awful. My small town doesn't have that problem at all XD - actually, I'm surprised how good it actually is for pokestops. Apparently the neighboring towns kind of suck since people are coming in to my area for it lol

On 7/14/2016 at 7:43 PM, fictioninhope said:

I fully agree with wanting in-game communication but you have to realize that right now, everyone that's playing essentially has the beta version of the game. It wasn't ready to be released but because people are assholes and were downloading the backdoor file cause they were jealous of Australia or New Zealand, Niantic had to release the game early(at least in the US). So of course right now we have server issues and bugs and no fun things like trading or in-game communication/adding friends or other poke-generations yet. Be patient. Don't give up on PoGO! yet. It's literally in the works. This game is still growing. c:

Yeah, the newspaper in my country literally encourage people to download it via backdoor file and that was sick!

I'm waiting for the legit version on my country.
Because all those pokestop and pokegym in my town is literally my children, so why I waste them all? 

...and my house is a pokegym. 

People who are giving this game shit are litteraly the worst people ever.

This game helps countless people to actually get out and excercise in some way. Also it's a fun and social game as well, but there will always be people complaining on gaming I guess..

Regarding the robberies, I don't know. I've heard that the news are fake? Although I guess it must've happened in the US since every other person there carries a gun.

The "bad news" surrounding this game is absolutely not fake. This is a news article from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch about the most infamous robbery. (and Wikipedia tells me it's a very reputable news source). Just search "Pokemon Go Robbery" on Google News and you will see a lot of articles about various robberies associated with the game. There is no way all of these are fake.

Multiple police departments are tweeting PSAs about being distracted while playing the game. There are so many reports of people injuring or nearly injuring themselves (or other people) while playing. Yesterday's newspaper reported that some idiot backed his car right into a police cruiser, causing minor injuries to 2 police officers, because he was looking at the game. Another idiot actually drove his car right into a tree while hunting for Pokemon. Here's a report of two men walking themselves off a cliff.

The dangers are real. The nuisance caused to bystanders is also real. Of course, the positive effects are also real. People getting motivation to go outside and walk and socialize a bit more? Sure, that's great for some people. However, it is completely legit to criticize the game for its lack of merits as an actual game, and for its harm to society.

Edited by peffy

I can't help to think that this is limited to idiots though lol. Here in Sweden I've never seen anyone who is not paying attention to what's happening around you when playing. Of course you're not supposed to fucking run over a street on red light with cars crossing, or walk of a fucking cliff. To be honest if you do that then you kinda deserve it for being so stupid lol. The start-up screen even says "always pay attention to your surroundings when playing", so if you don't follow that simple rule then you only have yourself to blame.

Blaming Pokemon Go itself for the actions of people playing it is like blaming McDonald's for people having obesity problems. At the end of the day, it's up to you as an individual to take the necessary steps to keep yourself safe, and to be completely honest most of those steps are just common sense; things like not walking into the middle of a road or not walking around alone at 3am with your phone all lit up for prospective burglars to see. With regards to children, just take them to parks or other open areas without cars and traffic to play. You know, be a responsible parent.

As @SEKHMET's post helps to illustrate, for every negative story to have come around since this game's launch, there are plenty of heartwarming and positive ones too. I think people are just looking for a reason to hate the popular new trend, as often tends to be the case. 

Edited by Pho

2 hours ago, peffy said:

The "bad news" surrounding this game is absolutely not fake. This is a news article from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch about the most infamous robbery. (and Wikipedia tells me it's a very reputable news source). Just search "Pokemon Go Robbery" on Google News and you will see a lot of articles about various robberies associated with the game. There is no way all of these are fake.

Multiple police departments are tweeting PSAs about being distracted while playing the game. There are so many reports of people injuring or nearly injuring themselves (or other people) while playing. Yesterday's newspaper reported that some idiot backed his car right into a police cruiser, causing minor injuries to 2 police officers, because he was looking at the game. Another idiot actually drove his car right into a tree while hunting for Pokemon. Here's a report of two men walking themselves off a cliff.

The dangers are real. The nuisance caused to bystanders is also real. Of course, the positive effects are also real. People getting motivation to go outside and walk and socialize a bit more? Sure, that's great for some people. However, it is completely legit to criticize the game for its lack of merits as an actual game, and for its harm to society.

I pretty much disagree.

That is like these league of mothers who blames violent films for mass shootings and bullying when the actual problem is self control and the lack of compassion.

Besides, each time someone opening this app they will see this load screen that blatantly asks its users to mind their surroundings.

tumblr_oaezjtccvn1vavod5o1_540.jpg

It is not the app faults that some people didn't heed the caution. As with many things in life, common sense is a staple.

Only bad workman who always blames his tools.

7 hours ago, SEKHMET said:

That is like these league of mothers who blames violent films for mass shootings and bullying when the actual problem is self control and the lack of compassion.

Besides, each time someone opening this app they will see this load screen that blatantly asks its users to mind their surroundings.

It is not the app faults that some people didn't heed the caution. As with many things in life, common sense is a staple.

Only bad workman who always blames his tools.

I know. I am only pointing out that the robbery stories are not fake (as Uglymouth thought).

I am also pointing out that bad things have happened to people (or, people have done bad things) while they are playing the game. I am not blaming the game for it. Of course there is a warning at the start, but people have become so addicted that they are ignoring it. 

Would that guy have crashed into the police car and injured 2 officers if the game didn't exist? No.

Would those two men have walked off a cliff and hurt themselves if the game didn't exist? No.

Beyond stupid people causing injuries to themselves and others, what about the nuisances?

There was a story about a constant giant mob of people (numbering in the hundreds, possibly up to 1000) convening in a park in Australia (because there were 3 pokestops there, or something) that made so much noise at night, every night, that the residents of the surrounding apartment buildings had to call police to get rid of them.

And also, places like the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC had to stop people from playing there.

The game itself is what it is. It's fine if people use it properly, but some people are not using it properly, and it has caused disturbances to many people. You cannot deny that fact. And suggesting that anybody criticizing the game is just a "hater" or "worst people ever" is silly. It has many shortcomings as an actual game, according to what I've heard from reviewers, journalists, and friends. It's entirely fair to discuss those shortcomings.

I will just reiterate, I am not saying the game is necessarily at fault. Play it if you want to, I am not trying to stop you. I personally have never heard of a game having such a meteoric rise in popularity, and having so many articles written about incidents related to playing it (positive or negative), so I find all of this very fascinating and pretty funny on some level. 

Edited by peffy

LOL Peffy.

Some dude went off the road and hit a fire hydrant downtown.

Clearly, the stupidity of a lot of people is finally being shed some light with this game.

I like the story about the guy who fell off a ledge. Or was it a cliff? Funny nonetheless.

Over the weekend when I was hanging out at a great park (off of 35th ave and pinnacle peak in case there are any AZ trainers this park is also known as "Charmander Park") and we were talking in the car before leaving and we watched a dude smash into a light pole. Don't pokemon and drive. You'll smash all your windows and ruin your friends pokenights because you're an idiot.

Also I have a nice group of people at work who are part of Team Valor because our work uniform is red. It just kinda fit into place.

I've been starting to get into this game, and I'm hooked.  It's a bit harder to go on pokewalks since I use a wheelchair and control the touchscreen wirh my nose, but I've been figuring out solutions.  This has been getting me outside more than I usually would.  I can't wait for the Pokemon Plus wristband to be released so I don't have to hold my phone up while I drive me chair.  I'm only level 5 and haven't picked a team yet.  Which should I join?  The most convincing response wins!

Easy tip to check that you're still connected to the server: Open up the store.  You're still connected if it loads, restart the game if you see a white screen.  They are actually introducing a friends list and the ability to trade in the next update from what I've read, as well as fixing a ton of bugs in the mean time too.

I am only playing when I go outside. I'm busy with my exams atm, but as soon as they're finished I planned a little tour with my friend. xD Servers are not that stable to get me out only to play Pokemon. Shitty Iphone battery does not allow walking around for hours. I'm only level 9, but I have to say even though I really like pokemon it's not a game that  would get me addicted. It's fun and I like that people go out and communicate, meet other people and that stuff. Oh and I love that the pokestop is right in front of my house. I always have 300 pokeballs >D
Even my parents and sister keep asking me about about it. I'm just a bit annoyed by those haters, but I keep them hating and the hype is a bit... too much.... I mean every facebook site is posting stuff about it, I know as I'm studying library science what attention you can get when taking part in that hype. A library in Germany is thinking about a pokemon go event. Great advertising and nice for the players. I'm very interested in the way the game develops.

Red team btw.