CAT5

The Japanese Jazz Thread!

I'm still waiting for this year to warm up on the Jazz end, as there haven't been many notable releases yet. Even quasimode's album was lukewarm at best.

Emi Meyer's 3rd album was, unfortunately, a return to her Norah Jones-esque light-jazz-pop style. While not bad, the material didn't leave as much of an impression as her 2nd album did.

As far as Jazz-pop goes, Nakayama Uri's full-length, "VIVA" was as delightful as could be expected. However, since all but 2 of the songs were released on 2 separate EPs last year, the actual album didn't feel new at all.

Jazz-vocalist, Karen Aoki released an album this year, but I personally tend to ignore her work. Her voice is mediocre and she makes it even worse by singing entirely in Engrrrrrish. A pal told me that she covered a Lady Gaga song on her new album...all the more reason for me to avoid it.

On the other hand, jazz vocalist Rika Tanaka just released another album titled "When She Flows". While she also sings primarily in Engrrish, her voice is definitely superior to the more well known, Karen Aoki.

Female Jazz Saxophonist, Kaori Kobayashi just released a new album as well, but I've yet to listen to it. Not really sure what to expect...

So far, the most competent Jazz release I've heard this year so far would be the jazz pianist, Taihei Asakawa's "Catastrophe in Jazz".

LHuDzNO7lvE

I'm thinking the latter half of this year should prove much more exciting for Japanese Jazz...;]

^ That was pretty sick, gonna look for the album now - cheers for the heads up!

If anyone likes club jazz/crossover, I highly recommend "Masa Sextet". It's a project with some members from Sleepwalker and the vocalist Bembe Segue. It's gooooooooooood.

^ yep, Masa Sextet is nice! I looooooov Bembe Segue's vocals too. Shame she doesn't do more jazz =/

Posting to say that Makoto Kuriya's new album "Art for Life" is pretty jammin'. I'm almost done with my first listen, and while the album isn't mindblowing, it's a THOROUGHLY SOLID listen! There are even a few vocal tracks featuring Akiko and Shiho (Fried Pride)! I was pleasantly surprised by this album. ;D

Q78eatyEqS0

CAT, could you help me with Taihei Asakawa's "Catastrophe in Jazz"? Really liked the linked preview (it had a solid free-jazz taste too, which I really adored), would be intrested about the full album.

Alright, since shoutbox wasn't treating me well...

Can anyone recommend some good experimental jazz acts for me?

are you sure you mean experimental jazz? because it's...not what you might think. Free jazz maybe?

are you sure you mean experimental jazz? because it's...not what you might think. Free jazz maybe?

Free-form jazz let's say so...

I'm not sure, what do you mean by 'experimental jazz acts', but maybe Satoko Fujii Quartet would be good for you:

An Alligator In Your Wallet

Tatsu Take

LH Fast

(I would also label Kammerflimmer Kollektief as 'experimental jazz', but they aren't japanese.)

@CAT5: I checked your staff review post and randomly tried Anna Yamada sample song (Loopway), and i fell in love of her voice the moment i listened to the song, is the colorful album available anywhere on the net?

As for J-Jazz music i prefer the ones with female vocalist, these are my fave J-Jazz bands:

Ayur

4g8Y5ri27yk

Vividblaze

PwL8SdYykz0&feature=related

Orange Pekoe

XdqunNurAYg

i'd like to get a recommendation of more J-Jazz bands with female vocalist from you people. :3

Oh shit , I recomment too Orange Pekoe.

Thay are good

i know, rite? XD

i just recently listened to them tho, and i only have few stuff, need to dig more. :3

Been merely a silent reader on this thread, and I must say I'm glad I've checked out bands like indigo jam unit, quasimode (so far for this two I've only tried Roots and Oneself Likeness, feel free to give me any other recommendations!) and uni-birth; such a quality. I also liked 8-eit for long and enjoyed 俺はこんなもんじゃない, nabowa, Kagero and Jeena Majestic--all of them have been mentioned here. Wondering if anybody knows Flex Life? I recently stumbled across the duo through their collaboration with indigo jam unit on Vintage Black. Pretty good stuff. <3

Have you guys heard about this btw?

Gymnopedie (ジムノペディ)

B3Sulj_aeQ4

They imbued a bit rock to their Jazz flow, pretty tight band.

Wondering if anybody knows Flex Life? I recently stumbled across the duo through their collaboration with indigo jam unit on Vintage Black. Pretty good stuff. <3

I love Flex Life, but I honestly hated their collab with indigo jam unit. For 2 reasons - Aoki Rie's English is horrible, and #2 I tend to dislike cover albums - and the songs they covered were classics that shouldn't be touched (unless you can outdo them). Musically, the album wasn't bad, though...

Flex Life needs to release a new original album...I loved the direction they were going in with their last few releases...more of an 'organic soul' approach. ;3

Mostly because Vintage Black is the only one release featuring Flex Life available on the net, lol. Anyway, any recommendations on which album I should check out first from Naomi & Goro? I saw them mentioned every here and there.

new TRI4TH is out...Listening now and It's not bad so far. The year seems to be slow in terms of jazz releases

jpSbyqyxMl0

I'm rather new to the jazz stuff, only getting into it last Fall.

The group that I began with was Kagero, with the songs yellow and Gas. It was such an original sound for me.

Anyway, a group I want to promote here is the Yellow Studs, the male vocals to the nice mesh of rock and jazz makes them really cool to  me.

As an aside, I was curious if the vk band Liplich would be considered jazzy with songs like this?:

New WUJA BIN BIN PV for their upcoming album! Sounding fantastic!

Also this dude is AAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

The song "Patchwork Jazz" from the new cro-magnon album "V" is pretty sick. The groove takes a while to build up, but when it gets going it JAMS! Here's the PV for the track below:

New PV from the Gentle Forest Jazz Band - lead by trombonist Gentle Kubota, who's also a member of Zainichi Funk. It's refreshing to hear this big-band/bop sound out of Japan, especially since some of the more prominent acts have been churning out some pretty unremarkable club-jazz.