Sign in to follow this  
SethItari

Itari Ascend - Download my music for free

So I am a solo singer/songwriter from Ottawa, Ontario; Also the drummer and a primary songwriter for the band Itari Ascend. I like to promote my Japanese rock influences in my music, particularly in my solo work, and wish to make a name for myself and promote Japanese music locally as best I can.

I'm planning the release of my second single soon, and until then I've set up an Itari Ascend sampler that contains a free download of my first single in it's entirety, as well as two unreleased DEMOs by my band Itari Ascend featuring me on vocals (the vocals especially are likely to change on the finished product).

Check this post for details:

On my last birthday I released my first single on official channels. (If you'd like to support me afterwards you can find me on iTunes and Amazon)

Which song is your favorite? I'd love to know!

alright! I gave your music a listen.

Your solo stuff certainly is way more jrock. Song structures and instrumentals sound authentic and were good imo. BELiEVE was better song out of the 2. The Itari Ascend stuff were very different, very western sound. I don't really know which material I like more... Maybe your solo material would be more refreshing because atm there are like miliion bands that sound similar to your Itari Ascend songs.

now for the negatives... I'm sorry, but it always makes me cringe a little when I hear western bands singing in japanese. It doesn't sound natural to me and is kinda distracting. Especially in Itari Ascend, few japanese words there sounded very out of place. Your solo stuff, it kinda fits, but still the vocals bothered me in those songs too.

I'm sure if you stick to japanese vocals, you'll get better at it, so do as you see fit. Song writing is good here, so hopefully we'll hear more in future. My favourite songs out of all those in the .zip file would still be BELiEVE, no matter what I said about the vocals :P

On 7/2/2016 at 5:01 AM, orange~ said:

alright! I gave your music a listen.

Your solo stuff certainly is way more jrock. Song structures and instrumentals sound authentic and were good imo. BELiEVE was better song out of the 2. The Itari Ascend stuff were very different, very western sound. I don't really know which material I like more... Maybe your solo material would be more refreshing because atm there are like miliion bands that sound similar to your Itari Ascend songs.

now for the negatives... I'm sorry, but it always makes me cringe a little when I hear western bands singing in japanese. It doesn't sound natural to me and is kinda distracting. Especially in Itari Ascend, few japanese words there sounded very out of place. Your solo stuff, it kinda fits, but still the vocals bothered me in those songs too.

I'm sure if you stick to japanese vocals, you'll get better at it, so do as you see fit. Song writing is good here, so hopefully we'll hear more in future. My favourite songs out of all those in the .zip file would still be BELiEVE, no matter what I said about the vocals :P

Thanks for the honest feedback. I think we're on the same page, especially with the Japanese feeling out of place in Itari Ascend. At the time I wrote those songs I didn't really have my solo project so I didn't have an outlet for the Japanese lyrics I wanted to write, and now that I do I am considering dropping the Japanese from Itari Ascend to make the band more accessible. I think dropping it may be the only way to be taken seriously in the western market, sadly.

I'll certainly keep at it with my solo work though. Hopefully someday it'll sound natural enough that you will find it enjoyable. :)

Sign in to follow this