chemicalpictures

Your opinion on "no pictures" policy on overseas lives

wazzuuuup!

I've been to Gazette's concert here in Brazil and it was fucking awesome, except for the "no pictures or videos" policy. The staff announced before their perfomance that they would take people caught in the act's phone and erase ALL DATA. I LOLed of course.

What do you think of this kind of policy? To me its utter bullshit. I understand that its something from japanese bands culture in general, but that does not apply to the rest of the freaking world. They are doing a concert here, and probably enforcing it by contract, and I can't fathom WHY any contractor would abide to such shitty rule. And that reasoning of bands controlling what media they want to publish is shit, because: No cellphone of any kind can take professional-grade photos or videos and I highly doubt they would try such rule on a huge Coachella-like festival.

In the end I took the pictures I wanted as memento (even tho staff tried to bully me once, which I couldn't care less for), Gazette didn't lose any money because of my silly instagram photos afaik and everyone happily went home after a nice concert.

It is annoying and nobody cares, why bands still make a fuss about it?

Edited by chemicalpictures

They don't want you guys taking pictures because that cuts into their cheki profits. /s

In all seriousness I find it strange that a visual band doesn't want to be seen. Maybe it's because they don't want people recording the concert and phones can do both? Or possibly because they are recording the concert and don't want a crowd full of cameras?

As far as I know it's a management effort to surpress all sorts of bootleg photography in effort to rake in photoset cash and keep any possible unflattering pictures out of circulation. It's definitely not about the lights of the devices distracting the band or whatever actually practical reason that could be conceived of.

It's just enraging to see fans whiteknighting for these bands on youtube asking people to take down their videos. The kind of a person you have to be to go around the web in your spare time looking after the ( imagined ) monetary interest of some shitty japanese rock band...

Yeah, I think it's pretty crappy too. I get that they want to 'protect their perfect image', but come on... I mean I'm irritated when there's a bunch of people with their phones out chillin' at a gig like it's the most natural thing to do, but restricting the use of cellphones/cameras is pretty laughable.

Also, there are some Japanese bands who don't really care if you take pictures (or better yet, are super nice and down to take a photo with you after the gig), but those aren't visual kei bands, as expected. :D 

Been to a lot of VK gigs outside of Japan and never had this rule enforced upon me. 

It's pretty silly but if a band I wanted to see said not to take pictures, I wouldn't. I never take pictures when I go to a gig anyway. I'm too involved with the magic. *-* 

It's a useless rule made for a different era and very difficult to enforce today - just like a lot of things from Japan.

The reason they don't want you taking pictures is because you might catch them from an unflattering angle, and god forbid they ever look anything less than 100% photoshopped.

Selling photosets could be another reason, but those pictures are generally professional studio shots and not live ones so one would think it's a completely different thing.

Either way, I never got the point of taking photos at lives, so that part has never really bothered me much, but banning video is a major annoyance. I know people filming can be a bother but it's easily solved by directing those people to the back or to a balcony if such exists... And nowadays even devices most people have access to like smartphones can record both listenable audio and decent video, so it's never been easier to get some interesting footage from shows.

As others have already mentioned before me, I think the biggest reason is to keep the perfect image and to not have unflattering pictures of the band members online.

Every single VK gig overseas that I've attended has had this policy. And I think it's great, because it frees the audience to just enjoy the concert instead of trying to capture the perfect picture of your favorite member (which will just fail miserably anyways). I don't think they enforce the policy to sell their own photosets though, since those are usually the official photos and not photos taken during concerts.

I think I'm one of the few people to actually say this is a good thing. Not specifically for the reason they say it is, but have you ever stood in a pit with people dancing and moshing around while a whole bunch of people are trying to film things and take pictures? You know how many times they look at you like you've murdered someone just because "oh no, my picture got ruined thanks to you". Then when they drop their phones and the screens crack, it's also your fault because you bumped into them. First few rows or balcony places are totally something else but don't take pics when you're in the middle of a moving crowd :/ (it's also annoying when other people who aren't filming are trying to look at what's happening on stage. You just get arms flinging around trying to take the perfect shot of their idols)

I'm also not really sure on what's so fun about watching a full gig through your phone/camera's screen while the people are playing right in front of you.

Edited by Kaye

I don't want to come up as a racist dick here (oh my, excuses!) but doesn't this have a lot to do with the Japanese perception of "perfect celeb imagery"? I mean, idk really but at least in the VK scene Japanese fans are perhaps way too obsessed or pedantic (western POV is more or less idgaf'y to this extent) about their bias' looks without acknowledging the reality of promo/stage/casual appearances. See: enforced "don't date don't swing"-policy as well.

But then again, I rarely stumble upon widespread "no photo" policies these days. However, not exactly on-topic but at the same time somewhat intriguing fact: as far as I have noticed, certain management labels go out of their way to 'erase' images or even sue those who decide to post rather unflattering tsunagari/post-live pics of e.g. VK bandomen being totes wasted? I wonder if e.g. PSC representatives are still watching strictly over potential "look, Uruha without makeup being wasted KANPAI wwww" threads @ 2ch, lol (considering that breaking his image seems to be a huge "taboo").

Edited by Alroy

I received an email a couple weeks ago regarding this. By the looks of it, it is per the request of the GazettE, and relayed to us by their PR  representing them.

I can understand the need to prohibit any recording device during the concert, but to apply that rule to the VIP ticket members during the Meet/Greet is just ridiculous. The ONLY thing that I wanted from all of this, was a picture of the GazettE and I in one picture. I really feel bad because of it. You'd think they'd embrace their USA fans with ONE silly picture...

19 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

I received an email a couple weeks ago regarding this. By the looks of it, it is per the request of the GazettE, and relayed to us by their PR  representing them.

I can understand the need to prohibit any recording device during the concert, but to apply that rule to the VIP ticket members during the Meet/Greet is just ridiculous. The ONLY thing that I wanted from all of this, was a picture of the GazettE and I in one picture. I really feel bad because of it. You'd think they'd embrace their USA fans with ONE silly picture...

Wait, are you saying I paid $200 to not get a picture?

16 minutes ago, Mi'ihen said:

Wait, are you saying I paid $200 to not get a picture?

Hmmmmm....... I dont know how to break this to you gently...... lol

http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaigner/Public/t.show?alru7--84y45-3kmz5ww5

Didn't you get this email?

I'm going to call Guest Services and get a definitive answer on this. This is actually poorly worded, and now I'm starting to think (more like hope) that this does not apply to the VIP backstage Meet/Greet.

Edited by YuyoDrift
Fuck you Editbot

1 minute ago, YuyoDrift said:

Hmmmmm....... I dont know how to break this to you gently...... lol

http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaigner/Public/t.show?alru7--84y45-3kmz5ww5

I'm going to call Guest Services and get a definitive answer on this. This is actually poorly worded, and now I'm starting to think (more like hope) that this does not apply to the VIP backstage Meet/Greet.

I could understand during the show, but for meet and greet wtf?

OOR allowed 1 picture to be taken on your phone for meet and greet and I'm almost positive it was the same for Dir en grey.

Wow I was really looking forward to being a tree next to Ruki. :(

3 minutes ago, Mi'ihen said:

I could understand during the show, but for meet and greet wtf?

OOR allowed 1 picture to be taken on your phone for meet and greet and I'm almost positive it was the same for Dir en grey.

Wow I was really looking forward to being a tree next to Ruki. :(

We get a T shirt doe. That's a plus right?

bands don't want that people sell the photos they take at concerts.

small bands care lesser.

also they wanna be sure that every photo will look amazing and that the ugly photos won't be leaked.

anyway, gazette, maybe VIP pictures will taken by the photographer of the promoter. I would say ask the promoter.

oh well the no picture thing is one of the reason why bands aren't break through fast or never.

Yeah, I also really don't like the "sea of cellphones", specially those who only takes pictures with flash. But I also don't enjoy staff trying to act all mighty and powerful when I try to take one or two pictures with my crappy phone to show off on the internet...

Professional equipment is whole another story tho, that I can understand.

29 minutes ago, chemicalpictures said:

Yeah, I also really don't like the "sea of cellphones", specially those who only takes pictures with flash. But I also don't enjoy staff trying to act all mighty and powerful when I try to take one or two pictures with my crappy phone to show off on the internet...

Professional equipment is whole another story tho, that I can understand.

When you multiply taking one or two pictures with the amount of people in the audience, it's an instant "sea of cameras."

I'd rather spend my time dancing and headbanging than taking a few shitty pictures I will never watch again. 

44 minutes ago, paradoxal said:

When you multiply taking one or two pictures with the amount of people in the audience, it's an instant "sea of cameras."

I'd rather spend my time dancing and headbanging than taking a few shitty pictures I will never watch again. 

I can understand that, but I think is more or less a question of good sense. I mainly stay on the back row in concerts, I really don't enjoy the crowd. So I take one or two pictures and that's it. Those guys who spend 1:30 hours with their cellphone up are indeed annoying

I understand these are an issue mostly for visual bands who make their living off of their visuals as much as their music so they view their image as part of the product you should be paying for. But I agree with the idea that if you play in a foreign country you adhere to what is customary there, if that is a photo friendly concert experience, then you allow pictures. It should be that simple. 

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

Yeah, not being allowed to take pics/record is a shitty rule and it should not be enforced. BUT, I really hate the "sea of cellphones" in some concerts... Dude, I want to watch the show, can you please get your fucking cellphone out of my way?

basically everything i wanted to say. i want one sexy photo of uruha so keep ur dumb rules to yoself BUT don't be in front of me trying to record the whole show at 3rd row while im trying to fuck shit up