I've been massively into all types of punk for 15+ years and thought we should have a place to discuss punk. This thread is simple, discuss everything punk-related. The punky side of grindcore and deathrock is included.

I don't have time for a massive OP right now, but I'll come bak later to talk punk, post songs and all that. That's for sure.

I like all types of punk, but I tend to lean more towards the harder and more brutal sides of the genre. A small list of my favourite punk-related bands:

Misfits (with Danzig!)

Samhain

Doom

Amebix

Framtid

Masshysteri

Bad Religion

Death Side

The Explited

Tragedy

His Hero is Gone

Fall of Efrafa

From Ashes Rise

Mourning Noise

Raein

I will come back later today and add a youtube link to each of these bands, plus more, with their best song(s). Because these bands rule!

Now, discuss!

Yay, cool thread!

Some of the punk or punk-related releases I've enjoyed so far this year:

Daylight Robbery - Accumulated Error (listen)

Tacocat - Lost Time (sample)

Argument Clinic - Argument Is An Intellectual Process (listen)

Really really looking forward to the upcoming White Lung album btw.

Oh, and here's something cool I've been spinning lately, really frickin' dark stuff, just lovely.

Edited by Jigsaw9

Welp, I'll take the first jab at Japanese punk then XDD. Some of my all-time favorite Japanese punk bands are:

- New Rote'ka (classic choice)
- Sherbet
- The Blue Hearts (who doesn't love these guys though?)
- locofrank
- Cobra
- SA
- Melt-Banana
- (old) Boredoms
- Aburadako
- The Slut Banks
- The Pogo (one of the few bands on this list where I think ALL of their albums are godly)
- Laughin' Nose
- The High-Lows
- Stance Punks (of course)
- Jelly->
- Going Steady
- Mr.Orange
- Abnormals (similar to The Pogo, these guys NEVER let me down either)
- Kasutera
- Softball
- Lolita No. 18
- Red Bacteria Vacuum
- Droop

...And maybe a bit more, but those are the main ones loll.

Edited by robkun

Yeah, I know. But since that's the only kinda punk I listen to on a regular basis, thought I'd unload some lol.

This thread is for all punk no matter what type or country.

But I'd like to hear why you only listen to japanese punk on a regular basis?

Thought I'd go through some of my favourite punk bands with some words, a track and some shit, like I often do for some weird reason. Probably to tempt others to check 'em out, instead of just making a list:

Misfits (with Danzig!)

I think it's very important to add that when I say Misfits I'm talking about Misfits with Danzig. Misfits without Danzig isn't necessarily a bad band, but it just isn't very good or interesting either in my eyes. Anyway, Misfits was a horror punk band, but music-wise they visited several subgenres of punk. from pop-punk on their early releases to proper hardcore punk later on. Great and unique vocals from Danzig who also wrote the songs. What a man!

61U92iK4qsL.jpg

Their first album, Static Age (recorded in 1978 but not released before 1997), are more on the poppy side of things, very cool, catchy and pretty unique IMO. 9/10

misfits-12_hits_from_hell-front.jpg

Their second album, 12 Hits from Hell, was another one that didn't see the light of day until years later. Recorded in 1980, but not released before 2001 and even then it wasn't poperly released. Anyway, this, for me as a fanboy, is a great album. Not their best and not essential, but still great.  Music-wise they've ventured a bit closer to the traditional punk sound. Harder than before. 8/10

9b12181579eb.jpg

Their third album, Walk Among Us, which is their first released album, is top god damned notch punk. This is a fantastic release of classic horror punk. Harder and meaner than before. As with their next album it's one of my all-time favourite unk albums. 10/10

19972-earth-ad-wolfs-blood.jpg

Their fourth, and in my eyes last good album, Earth A.D./Wolfs Blood, was released in 1983. This is a proper hardcore album with brilliant, heavy and hard songs, and at times they venture into more thrashy territory than other punk bands at the times. You could almost call this album proto-thrash, and it's harder, heavier and more brutal than the thrash metal albums released at the time. As I said earlier, one of the very best punk albums album. 10/10

Walk Among Us and Earth A.D./Wolfs Blood have two of my favourite cover arts as well. They look so good!

There's also a lot of singles and stuff worth checking out, but I won't go through all them. But every single Misfits song written and featuring Glenn Danzig are amazing. Simple as that!

I don't really know, I just love the aggression and snide-sound that most Japanese punk bands have. I've heard punk from around the world, and it just doesn't really capture the snide-sound that Japan has, which is something that I've enjoyed with other bands like the Sex Pistols and whatnot.

Edited by robkun

I see.  Or not really but it's OK. I can't understand everything, even though I really want to. :P

bddee1feee554af3b66190dcc0f49a92.jpg

The next band I wanted to talk a bit about i the british crust punkers Doom, a band who despite their status as a cult band and punk legends, aren't reallyas knownas they deserved. Doom were heavily inspired by other punk bands like Discharge, The Varukers, Amebix, Anti Cimex and Antisect, bands who during their time made punk harder, heavier and more brutal. Doom however took the genre to a whole new level of brutality and intensity. Crust punk were already a thing when they released their debut album, War Crimes (Inhuman Beings), in 1987. But they helped forming the sound that we today know as traditional (UK) crust. Brutal, intense, heavy and chaotic. And the type of crut they created had a much bigger influence on grindcore, thrashcore and powerviolence. The band is best known for their first EP, the legendary Police Bastard, which is understandable because this EP is godly!

Police Bastard

Discharge.jpg

Discharge i one of the best punk bands ever, and the endless line of bands heavily inspired by these guys shows that I am not the only one thinking so, even going as far as having pure clones such as The Varukers, Disclose and Discard, now known and discore. At the time of their early releases there was nothing quite as extreme as this. And because of the extreme, intense and brutal nature of Discharge they also ended up a massive influence for both punk and metal bands. The band is more or less cedited as the founders of the genre d-beat, and while the beat itself had be used prior to Discharge's use of it, but they kinda made a whole subgenre around the beat itself. After a handful of fantastic EPs and a powerful debut album the band changed their style for their next releases. Gone were the raw, powerful punk of the past and it was relaced with a heavy/thrash metal sound on Warning: Her Majesty's Government Can Seriously Damage Your Health and a much more accessible heavy metal/glam rock sound on Grave New World, before starting to play around with more thrash metal and crossover in later days. And this was pretty much the death of Discharge.

Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing

Edited by Bear

Now for something a bit newer.

tragedyhc.jpg

I'm not sure if Tragedy was formed in 1995 and at the same time as His Hero Is Gone, or 1999/2000 out of the ashes of the now legendary His Hero Is Gone, a sludgy hardcore/crust band formed back in 1995, but what I do know i that Tragedy is fantastic. Like His Hero Is Gone, Tragedy belongs to the crust banner but they had a completely different sound than His Hero Is Gone. Tragedy is one of the first bands who spiced up the traditional crust sound with a lot more metallic riffing, lots of melody and, for a hardcore/crust band, a more progressive touch to their music making it very epic in its nature. This type of melodic crust later became better known as neocrust, and Tragedy is both the inovators and the kings of this subgenre! Bubble gum crust punk! I like all their albums and EPs, and especially the three first, but Vengeance and Nerve Damage are easily their best outputs. They perfected the genre with those albums.

The Day After (off the album Vengeance)

Crucifier (off the album Nerve Damage)

fromashesrise-1340142179.jpg

From Ashes Rise is another band who spiced up the traditional crust sound with a lot of melody, but their earlier outputs are a lot darker and more gloomy and not really neocrust at all. It wasn't before the release of 2003's Nightmares that they would fully venture into the whole neocrust sound, and what an album it is. And to be honest this is the only From Ashes Rise release I listen to frequently. It's up there with the very best of the genre and doesn't stand back to the best releases of Tragedy, His Hero Is Gone, Fall of Efrafa and more. It's a shame they never managed to reach this level of greatness, not before nor after.

Reaction

3199719219_1f6f70730b.jpg

I've never really considered His Hero Is Gone a neocrust band, but they were one of the forerunners of the subgenre and that's for sure. If you listen to a song like Like Weeds you'll hear the classic neocrust elements in the riffing. Blending blistering hardcore and crust, heavy-as-fuck sludge and the dark, bleak atmosphere of lots of black metal they created something entirely unique. I like everything they did, but Monuments to Thieves is where the shit is at. A total god damned classic album, from a legenday band. Probably one of the most influential punk band in recent times (post-1995).

A quote from Fenriz on the band:

“[One interesting thing to note is that] the style that His Hero Is Gone started with their 1998 magnum opus, Monuments to Thieves, somewhat [erased] the boundary between crust and black metal, whether they like it or not.” -Fenriz of Darkthrone

Like Weeds

50ab032db7ad4708b5f7c82c5799179b.jpg

At the time Fall of Efrafa formed in 1995 the genre had kinda died out on us a bit, stagnated to be quite honest, and all new releases was "more of the same". Fall of Efrafa took the genre into a new direction and added lots of new elements. Three albums that's very different in sound.

Their debut album, Owsla, is the hardest of the three albu with the biggest d-beat, crust and hardcore influence. There's elements of post-rock and doom metal present, but d-beat, crust and hardcore is its main genres. A powerful, original and melancholic album that offers so much new to the genre. Five songs and fourty minutes. Pity the Weak!

Their second album, Elil, continues what they started on their debut. But unlike the crust-influenced debut, this is a lot more post-rock influenced. Slower and more atmospheric in its nature, with a lot longer songs. But when they speed it up they venture into the classic neocrust sound with sorrowful melodies and hard riffing. Three songs and sixty three minutes. Beyond the Veil!

Their third and last album, Inlé, showcased a doomier side of the band. It's darker, heavier, gloomier and bleaker than before with the crust pushed even further back. It's still present, but not nearly as much as before. This is more a doom metal/post-rock album than it is a crust/hardcore album. Six tracks and eighty minutes. Woundwort!

A beast of a band who manage to breath life bakc into a dying genre by doing something completely different, yet something so very familiar. I think the band got worse with each album, but all three are fantastic albums nonetheless. I'd rate them Owsla (10/10), Elil (9/10) and Inlé (8/10).

That's it for today, I guess. Or at least for now.

Hot damn, so this is happening: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/the-original-misfits-are-reuniting-for-riot-fest

Hell hath frozen over. The Misfits—the original Misfits—are reuniting.

This September, Glenn Danzig, Jerry Only, and Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein will take the stage together for the first time in over 30 years to headline Riot Fest’s Denver and Chicago dates.

I really really hope this is just a start for greater things to come (crossing my fingers for a world tour, but don't wanna get my hopes up xD).

Despite being one of my all time favourite bands, I am not too keen on that to be quite honest. Danzig sang a few Misfits songs a few years back and it was awful. His voice has just changed too much over the years and he's simply not able to nail those songs anymore. He can't sing like that. At least not if those videos are something to judge on, which I do believe. But nothing would make me happier than them proving me wrong.

I've recently reinvigorated my love for Trap Them. They're such an instense band, would love to see them live one day. Brutal stuff.

Used to love Trap Them, but I can't remember the last time I listened to one of their albums. They got a nice sound, got a great SweDeath-esque production and all that, but for some reason I can't really get the band to work all that anymore. It's as if the music is a bir too controlled. It just lacks a real feeling of chaos, madness and brutality.

I don't know. Used to be really into them and should probably still be, but. Eh. Don't know.

New Wolfbrigade album sounds really nice. They still mix crust and mainly traditional d-beat with elements of death and thrash metal, but I'm quite surprised at how melodic some of these songs sounds. But it sounds really good and aggressive.

^ Yeeaahhhhh, it's pretty killer! Gotta re-listen soon.

This week I've been spinning some Rudimentary Peni again, and again realized what a great band they were (are?). Almost every release is different than the previous one (ok, maybe this does not stand for the last few EPs), but all of it is filthy golden. And that artwork, man! Nick Blinko is not right in the head (I know, he literally isn't).

Also, somewhat related to the topic at hand, been really getting into Satan's Satyrs, what a sound! Just what I need right now. "Wild Beyond Belief!" has some of the most crummy, lo-fi but screaming hot sounds I've ever heard, and it shouldn't seem as enjoyable as it is, but damn is it good to blast that caveman production at full volume! Eternal respect to Claythanas for writing, producing and performing/playing everything on here. The demo and the EP are quality stuff too, but this filth is on a whole other level. Musically the rest of the albums are okay too, but do not really match the decadence of the full-length debut imo.

2 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Also, somewhat related to the topic at hand, been really getting into Satan's Satyrs, what a sound! Just what I need right now. "Wild Beyond Belief!" has some of the most crummy, lo-fi but screaming hot sounds I've ever heard, and it shouldn't seem as enjoyable as it is, but damn is it good to blast that caveman production at full volume! Eternal respect to Claythanas for writing, producing and performing/playing everything on here. The demo and the EP are quality stuff too, but this filth is on a whole other level. Musically the rest of the albums are okay too, but do not really match the decadence of the full-length debut imo.

Wild Beyond Belief! is absolute perfection. Doom metal punk at its absolute finest, and as good as the songs and performance is, the production is the highlight. So filthy and disgusting.

I think Don't Deliver Us is as good, btw. Very different, but just as good. Sounds like Blue Cheer from hell getting raped by Black Sabbath or something. Creepy Teens is their best song by far. I fucking love those cheerleader-esque vocals.

I don't know if you've checked it out yet, but I've been talking about Alucarda for years now. They've got the same biker and exploitation-vibe as Wild Beyond Belief! Now, Raw Howls isn't as awesomely produced as Wild Beyond Belief!, but it's got better songs IMO. I consider them equal. And don't believe those calling Alucarda a shitty rip off. While they certainly do rip off Satan's Satyrs, they're not shitty. They're as good. 

That is good. Heretic Rites is another band ripping off Satan's Satyrs, albeit a lot more doomy sounding at times. Not as great as either Alucarda or Satan's Satyrs, their second demo, In Satan's Claws, is really good. Sounds like it was recorded in the 70's whilst in the mid of a brutal acid trip. It's also re-released with two tracks that's not quite as lo-fi and way more up-beat, with some superb keys on them.  The first track sounds a bit more Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats while the second track sounds more like Electric Wizard. Great songs nonetheless.

Sign in to follow this