CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #40: What are the things you HATE about Visual Kei?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #39  

79 members have voted

1. 1. What are the things you HATE about Visual Kei?

• Spending a small fortune for that one live-distributed single
    • Going broke the same day I get paid
    • Questioning my sexuality
    • ...Affirming my sexuality ^__~
    • Killing the o-zone layer (wit all dat VK hairspray)
    • Buying 500 copies of _____ single (Type A-Z)
    • Remembering my poor life choices in finding "VK" clothing at Hot Topic.
    • The need to place 'kei' after everyone word I think describes a band XD
    • Still shopping for "VK" clothing at Hot Topic
    • GazeRock not being dead.
    • Everything that isn't under code productions
    • Kiwamu...
    • TENTEN's "midas" touch
    • Indefinite hiatuses and "Musical Differences"
    • Not looking like my favorite VK musician
    • Discovering a favorite new band only to find out that they've disbanded
    • Nothing. It's perfect.
    • Other

Just calm your tits, guys - really lol.

Each and every person is entitled to enjoy lives the way they want to, be it the hot-blooded attitude or Nordic state of mind.

Also, another point of view regarding the scene as a whole:

Some people (incl. me ages ago...ish) tend to boast too much about their significance as a "Fan (with a huge F)" of some visual/ex-visual band(s) by citing "years and years" of Jayrawk experience. Moreover, same guys resort to that as an argument rather than go for more compelling commentaries. Believe me, this is a standard characteristic among most passionate music listeners, but in VK fanbase it does seem to be more or less demeaning than elsewhere. As a freak with similar attributes in the past, or maybe even now (as we speak), I can tell you this will merely backfire - and to the very extent it might just ruin and isolate you. Just enjoy the band and don't think too much about real fan values or that kind of BS. Even most dedicaded BM fanbases adopt more civil, and prolly even far more respecting attitudes than most VK "sages" of 10+ years experience from here and there, just FYI.

Before pots and kettles march in, I will zip my mouth and do my best at being little to no concerned about your matters. Even so, let's not cling upon our "rich" vk memorabilia as a tool of ego boost - please?

I don't know if I'm crazy thinking this way, but I'm really nonplussed (inf.) about the "elitism" and the overall negatives about VK.

It's probably because I have a very "shouganai" mindset (which undoubtedly has its negatives). 

People make mistakes/do stupid shit, individuals grow up (mostly), and you're really bound to always be surrounded by people you probably don't agree with. 

As for the genre or subculture that is Visual Kei, my only qualms are usually band-specific.
If your entire objective as a band is to merely emulate other artists in hopes to become popular, and your music is obviously uninspired; I probably wont listen to you.
Live-limited items are to gain attraction at lives, and personally having to pay more is really subject to supply & demand. It can't be helped. 
If most of your bands discography is live-limited releases and I can't get my hands on them, too bad, it's one band; I can deal with it. (I'll be sad though T_T)

以上です。 *proceeds to strike Buddhist gong*

" Spending a small fortune for that one live-distributed single"

I really hate this, my friends are students, my wallet is actually for few gaming stuffs and post-hardcore, metalcore, deathcore stuffs, so at some points, we're all poor. But they'd like to build whole discographies, so dat's it, enough said.

"Going broke the same day I get paid"

Never happened to my buddies.

"Questioning my sexuality" and "...Affirming my sexuality ^__~"

I have no words to complain about it, only being asked by "musically blind people from the mainland", and I'm used to it now.

"Buying 500 copies of _____ single (Type A-Z)"

Every fxxkin' money related thing happened in visual kei is bullshxt.

"The need to place 'kei' after everyone word I think describes a band XD"

Well, I prefer to describe with definition of genres, like alternative metal, metalcore, hard rock, something like dat.

"GazeRock not being dead"

wat? I have no idea, but I do enjoy Gazette's newest album, it's my cup of tea.

"Everything that isn't under code productions"

I don't really care about companies but music genres. I don't mind if an oshare kei band went extreme metal.

"TENTEN's "midas" touch"

eh, I love MBHI better than CPS then...

"Indefinite hiatuses and 'Musical Differences'"

12012, plz come back!!!!!!!

"Not looking like my favorite VK musician"

I'm interested in technical and talented guys.

"Discovering a favorite new band only to find out that they've disbanded"

Usually happens, but I don't mind actually.

nah boo boo reply i wanna hear ur logic on why its completely fine and dandy to be an ass for no reason go ahead im curious. maybe there's some hidden message that's been lost on me thus far so try.

smile, go ahead, enjoy the band. i have no issue with it, but if your sole purpose is to demean people for enjoying a concert differently than you then thats not too nice of you.

ur watching ex-crossdressers rehash korn riffs while a 5'2 elf yells at you for an hour...am i the only one who sees the irony in all this...????

My dear I don't know where in my reply, that there was any indication of me defending any elitism or "being an ass", as you put it. "Shit" as in reference to adding to the discussion.

At the same time, I wouldn't necessarily say that I'd agree with your points as well (the anecdote is the cause for most of my reasoning) (wether or not it's yours), as I look at both sides of a coin before deciding anything. 

No I wouldn't demean you for the same reason as CJ, as I also stated that in my previous post. 

I don't know if I'm crazy thinking this way, but I'm really nonplussed (inf.) about the "elitism" and the overall negatives about VK.

It's probably because I have a very "shouganai" mindset (which undoubtedly has its negatives). 

People make mistakes/do stupid shit, individuals grow up (mostly), and you're really bound to always be surrounded by people you probably don't agree with. 

Emmny, I don't feel the need to feed any "trolling" because it's morning over here right now, and I am a cranky motherfucker that tends to blow off too much steam around this time without any food/coffee in my system. 

BUT if you want to know a little from the reply I formulated, it'd be something along the lines of "Don't beat yourself up kid, fuck those people. Don't let it take you over, and use it to your advantage."

Lets get back on topic.

As someone who isn't hardcore into Visual Kei:

*Buying [or downloading] 500 copies of _____ single (Type A-Z)

I hate this with idol groups as well, it's why I stopped following AKB48.

*The need to place 'kei' after everyone word I think describes a band XD

I started doing this ironically but I can't stop.

*Indefinite hiatuses and "Musical Differences"

*Discovering a favorite new band only to find out that they've disbanded (35 votes [15.62%])

I think these two go together.

Other stuff: as a semi-outsider I don't like seeing last.fm bios with the member lists and then they have been in like 303251321 different bands and with different names most times. Calm down! lol

I hate that VK has given birth to the abomination that is a good chunk of "swed kei."

A lot of the stuff in that scene is an ear sore to listen to and watch. And its very bothersome to see that many of the bands/acts don't have to try hard to get some kind of a fan base. They can just slap on the VK look, which is a quick way to sucker in fans and they can just fly by with dropping borderline mediocre music. 

-the fans. Specially those who post pictures of their favorite member on instagram, say things like 'my daddy. My boyfriend. MINE!!1", and tag said member on it. I'm so sorry.

- Insanely photoshoped pictures.

-The prices. My sister is into kpop and I almost cry at the amount of merchandise/CDs/DVDs she can get with £30 whereas in jrock, that's is he price of just one of gazette's latest releases without the shipping

-No talent oshare kei bands that have a throbbing fanbase (looking at you wagamama paradeis)

-types, especially that every band has that one girly as fuck guitarrist

- comments like OMg iTs a GuY ? DoEs ThaT maeK me GaY? or 'they're gay then'

-That one jazzy song that every band must have

-I just found out about the whole Bangya culture and it makes me very confused/ uncomfortable. I really would like to know more about it.

-the comment section on any gazette video on youtube

-Bands going major 

Being a very long time fan of VK (but not an elitist), my biggest problem with alot of Visual Kei is the lack of originality.  That singer? Interchangeable.  Baseline guitar riffs, cheesy (in a bad way) keys.  Those looks? They've been done before.  

This applies to many VK bands over the years, but don't get me wrong, there are still amazing VK bands that break the mold and are very original and talented, and as the scene changes, there are chances for fresh air and fresh sounds.

Just my personal opinion, but bands I think really broke out with their own style and dominated the genre:

1. Kaggra, 

2. Pierrot

3. Megaromania

4. D

5. Aurora ( One of my greatest wishes is that you'd released more than 4 songs)

6. Nue (can't wait to see what else they have in store)

7. Guniw Tools

8. Ayabie (specifically, their earlier works)

9. Janne da Arc

10. Malice Mizer (obvious but I had to list them)

I would list some bands I'm not too fond of, but I really don't want to get roasted.

@Atreides Moreover in a lot of cases the lyrics are utter bullshit. Luckily (or not) my Japanese is very bad :D Though in some cases those are irrelevant, or are the whole point of the band's creation.

5. Aurora ( One of my greatest wishes is that you'd released more than 4 songs)

Glad to see another Aurora appreciator :)

Discovering a favorite new band only to find out that they've disbanded. It happened to me with Kagrra in 2012.

Discovering a favorite new band only to find out that they've disbanded. It happened to me with Kagrra in 2012.

It's a shame Isshi died, he was certainly one of the best vocalists in the genre.  The great thing to me about Kaggra,, was their music never got old or stale for me.  It's very rare for a band to have nearly no bad albums or singles.  While Kaggra, did have a few here and there, they were far and few between.

The thing about Kagrra, is that their music was not age oriented, or so I feel, so it can appeal to anybody (given traditional kind of stuff is your cup of tea); and that's the kind of viaual kei I like the best. I miss Isshi too. He was such an interesting person.

@Atreides Moreover in a lot of cases the lyrics are utter bullshit. Luckily (or not) my Japanese is very bad :D Though in some cases those are irrelevant, or are the whole point of the band's creation.

Glad to see another Aurora appreciator :)

Yeah, the thing about vocals and stuff is I don't really listen to music for them.  I'm more focused on the instruments honestly.

Also, Aurora is just great.  Those songs they released are songs that I will be listening to for the rest of my entire life.  I wonder what ever happened to those dudes, and I'm really sad they didn't make more music.

Right now it's Yoshiki Chips.

Thinking about the new X Japan album and then this, leaves a real

sipcy_zpsn7lwubdv.jpg

taste in my mouth.

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=YOSHIKI+%E3%83%81%E3%83%83%E3%83%97%E3%82%B9&aq=0&oq=yoshiki+chip&ei=UTF-8&tab_ex=commerce&auccat=&slider=0&sc_i=auc_sug

WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?!!?!?!?!?!?