beni

MH FEATURED POLL #39: What are your favourite movies from Studio Ghibli/Walt Disney Pictures?

40 members have voted

1. 1. Studio Ghibli

• Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
    • Castle In The Sky
    • Grave of the Fireflies
    • My Neighbor Totoro
    • Kiki's Delivery Service
    • Only Yesterday
    • Porco Rosso
    • Pom Poko
    • Whisper of the Heart
    • Princess Mononoke
    • My Neighbors the Yamadas
    • Spirited Away
    • The Cat Returns
    • Howl's Moving Castle
    • Tales from Earthsea
    • Ponyo
    • Arrietty
    • From Up on Poppy Hill
    • The Wind Rises
    • The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
    • When Marnie Was There
    • Other(s)
  2. 2. Walt Disney Pictures

• Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    • Pinocchio
    • Dumbo
    • Bambi
    • Cinderella
    • Alice in Wonderland
    • Peter Pan
    • Lady and the Tramp
    • Sleeping Beauty
    • One Hundred and One Dalmatians
    • The Sword in the Stone
    • The Jungle Book
    • Robin Hood
    • The Brave Little Toaster
    • The Little Mermaid
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Aladdin
    • The Lion King
    • Pocahontas
    • Toy Story
    • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    • Hercules
    • Mulan
    • A Bug's Life
    • Tarzan
    • Monsters, Inc.
    • Lilo & Stitch
    • Finding Nemo
    • Brother Bear
    • The Incredibles
    • Cars
    • Ratatouille
    • WALL-E
    • Bolt
    • Up
    • The Princess and the Frog
    • Tangled
    • Brave
    • Frozen
    • Big Hero 6
    • Inside Out
    • Other(s)

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #38: What are your favourite movies from Studio Ghibli/Walt Disney Pictures? (Multiple choice)

dec1d146.jpg

Kuzco-dancing.gif

samme-mejias-my-neighbor-totoro+(17).gif

To submit a poll for the MH POLL OF THE WEEK, P.M. either @CAT5 or @beni with your poll question, choices, and state whether it's multiple choice or not.

Please note:

We are talking about Ghibli's and Disney's animated movies.

All the movies in Ghibli's collection have been listed, but there's plenty more releases associated to them that's not been covered so feel free to selected 'Other(s)' and tell us whatever else you've enjoyed from them.

As for Disney, they have a much larger amount of distributed works. I have listed their supposedly more famous/most favoured titles. Can't find your favourite? For the whole list, see here.

Disney's movies like Who Framed Roger Rabbit isn't listed because it's both a live action movie as well as an animated movie. It can still be a contender for this list. Anything under each name can be commented on.

If a movie has sequels like Toy Story, please do vote for that. Feel free to comment if you want to say which Toy Story (for example) is your favourite.

I've seen all of 3 Ghibli movies, but they always are really lovely works. I grew up on Disney though so I picked like 10 haha. Any of them with animals, lbr. 

EDIT: Wow mobile totally garbled that lmao

I haven't seen any Disney movies since the 90's, but I remember liking both The Lion King and Toy Story as a kid. I even owned this game on Sega, haha:

The_Lion_King_Coverart.png

The only Ghibli movie I've seen was Princess Mononoke as a teen. I remember enjoying it quite a bit. I definitely need to check out a few of the others too.

I've seen all of 3 Ghibli movies, but they always are really lovely works. I great up on, Disney though so I picked like 10 haha. Any of them with animals, lbr. 

We need to fix this asap. D;

The only Ghibli movie I've seen was Princess Mononoke as a teen. I remember enjoying it quite a bit. I definitely need to check out a few of the others too.

You should watch The Cat Returns first.

For Ghibli I voted Totoro, Mononoke, The Cat Returns and Spirited Away. I haven't gotten a chance to watch Kaguya, Pom Poko or Earthsea even tho I've owned the three for a long time now. >>;;

Disney: Lion King, Monsters Inc, Robin Hood and Lilo & Stitch(Stitch is my fave forever ;; ). I totally overlooked Mulan, otherwise I would have voted it too. OTL

edit: The Aristocats and The Great Mouse Detective are two fantastic Disney films everyone should see at least once in their life.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Bambi, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, Robin Hood, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, Toy Story, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, A Bug's Life, Tarzan, Monsters, Inc., Lilo & Stitch, Finding Nemo, Brother Bear, The Incredibles, Cars, WALL-E, The Princess and the Frog, Frozen ... ops :D

I haven't seen any Disney movies since the 90's, but I remember liking both The Lion King and Toy Story as a kid. I even owned this game on Sega, haha:

I played THE SHIT out of the SNES version of that game.

I have no opinion on Ghibli movies. The only ones I have seen are Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away but I remember next to nothing about them.

The Little Mermaid was the first movie I ever saw. My personal faves are probably Lion King and Mulan (because it's Asian themed).

On Ghibli, the one that I most enjoyed was Howl's Moving Castle. I haven't seen many Ghibli films, but this one seemed to come across as the most impressive one of the lot. On Disney, my favourite movies are Oliver & Co., The Aristocats, Alice in Wonderland, Lady and the Tramp, Beauty and the Beast, and Fantasia. 

For Ghibli, Princess Mononoke.

I haven't watched any Disney animation movies in the last 10 years or more but I guess The Lion King is my favorite..

I'm not a big fan of any of these studios, but I did enjoy these ones more than others I saw from them:

- Princess Mononoke (pretty badass & looks cool)

- Spirited Away (nice atmosphere & story)

- The Lion King (childhood nostalgia)

- Tarzan (childhood nostalgia)

- Wall-E (idr the reason rly... robots? rekt future #aesthetics?)

...oh, and A Goofy Movie, but I didn't see that listed up there... :-(

I haven't watched a single Studio Ghibli movie in my life and I don't even know why.

As far as Disney goes though, I voted for a bunch. My absolute favorites are probably Mulan, The Lion King, Toy Story and WALL-E. A Goofy Movie would be among these too had it been on the list. :~~ I lost count on how many times I watched it as a kid.

I'm a huge fan of both Studio Ghibli and classic Disney so this is hard, especially for Studio Ghibli, but if I had to choose I'd go for these two:

Studio Ghibli: Howl's Moving Castle

No matter how many times I watch this I'm left in shock by the creativity in work here. It's insane. The film is nothing but a creative masterpiece in both its storytelling, but also in it visual wonderworld. In many ways childish, but will still give many a man much to think about. Brilliant film!

Disney: The Great Mouse Detective

The setting, characters, animation, voice work (Vincent fucking Price, man!) and honest homage to Sherlock Holmes just makes this my favourite, and it's probably been my favourite since I first saw it in the mid 90's. Its darker and  more stylish than most Disney films, which along with the obvious 190's noir inspiration really makes it really stand out from the rest.

An unsual choice for sure, but I consider this one of the 5 best animated films ever, and one of the most underrated ones.

So hard, man. But if I had to choose between the studios, I'd go for Ghibli since their weakest film (Tales from Earthsea) is a rather good effort. Not a masterpiece, but I've enjoyed it both times I've watched it. Disney at its worst is godawful.

Where's The Black Cauldron (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I WAS WAITING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO BRING THIS UP BEFORE ME GOD BLESS YOU YASSSS. It got met with such backlash (from what I've read) but its dark nature and stand out among any kids movie which is why I love it so much. It just sticks with you for the wrong reasons, lol.

My other favourite from Disney which isn't listed and has yet to be comment on is definitely The Emperor's New Groove. How come no one has!? The worst crime of them all is that it didn't get any awards whatsoever. What. The. Hell!?

More thumbs up to everyone who commented on The Great Mouse Detective. I don't want to bring up any other of my favourites in case someone else mentions them because I get way too happy seeing that, aha. Shout-outs to @saishuu, @Jigsaw9 and @Lestat too. A Goofy Movie is my guilty pleasure and Oliver & Company is impossibly underrated.

As for the popular ones of Disney, Hercules, The Incredibles and Mulan are my babies. 

With Ghibli, I'm agreeing on how much of a masterpiece Howl's Moving Castle is. Forget Spirited Away being the most popular one, Howl's Moving Castle should always be on a list for 'The Greatest Movies Ever' imo.

i watched like a whopping total of 3 Ghibli movies, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Totoro (well, ''watched'' is used loosely here, since i fell asleep while watching the last 2 woops)... Spirited Away was cool though.

As for Disney... Toy Story, Hercules, Aladdin, Alice in Wonderland... That's that good shit right there Y O

No The Aristocats? :( It's sad how forgotten and underrated that movie is to a lot of people.

I certainly haven't forgotten about it  :P

By the way, this one deserves a mention as well:

DUCKTALES-THE-MOVIE.jpg

This deserves a mention for the fabolous poster alone, but the film is as good as the poster. Not too far behind The Great Mouse Detective in my eyes.