Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

Favorite Japanese Record Labels?

I don't care much about labels with VK, so long they have good distribution and enable overseas fans to obtain records and merchandise from their artists/roster easily aka ship overseas. And we have CDJapan, YEAAsia and such for most of them, for records at least. But merchandise not so much, so I don't own many of tees or whatever of Japanese artists I support since I don't like hiring proxy for that.

Would it be possible for us to put together a list of all active bands under a given label? I feel like I know quite a bit of it just from time spent here but I like displaying info in lists..

for me its BPrecords and Danger Crue. Mainly because they seem to treat their artist like people and not like puppets (*coughsPSrecordscoughs*) Plus  DCR uploads their videos with English translations and BP has well dorks being dorks. I don't know if BP and DCR are owned by the same company since they do visual baka and kameleo's weird shows featuring them doing silly stuff and competing against codomo dragon or royz.

Ains. I actually really like every single band on this label (and sub-labels, side-labels, secret-labels, whatever). Keep it up, Yukika.

Don't usually pay attention to record labels but there are a few I remember because the majority of my favourites are under them. Pony Canyon and flying DOG are probably my most loved ones since both have a mix of what I enjoy most, from pop to Oshare Kei. DefStar Records, SMEJ, Ki/oon, and Warner Music Japan are followed closely behind when looking into it (mainly because chara, Wakeshima and some rock band biases hehehe).

Would it be possible for us to put together a list of all active bands under a given label? I feel like I know quite a bit of it just from time spent here but I like displaying info in lists..

Funny you should ask, I've been working on a side project that I've been meaning to unveil / actually finish one day!

http://image-complex.occult-proposal.net/Visualization/

It doesn't really show which labels are active or which bands are currently signed (yet: I'm getting to it!), but it does show who was signed to what label and how they are tied together. Big circles are labels, medium are sub-labels, and small orange dots are bands. 

A lot of this information was based on a list Inartistic put together: http://labeldb.occult-proposal.net/

THE NINTH APOLLO. They have a lot of pop punk and rock bands. I like the unpretentious, DIY vibe a lot of their artists have/had. Particularly bands like NOA, SHANK, Unblock, HERO COMPLEX, Danablu, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/theninthapollo/videos

On the VK side, recently I like Riostar Records' bands the most. Specifically LEZARD and Jack Caper. I like bands that are a bit goofy but not full-on joke acts, and they're both in just the right area between serious and silly for my taste.

Sign in to follow this