Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw9

David Bowie

How come there's no David Bowie thread?? Blasphemy! :P

Anyway, it is finally confirmed: Bowie will release his new album "Blackstar" on his 69th birthday, January 8th. The single will be dropping on November 20, and is expected to be a 10-minute epic with lots of weird shit, just like the album itself (some sources described it as a mash-up of jazzy elements and '70s German electronic/krautrock vibes).

Listen to a short snippet of the title track as the opening of "The Last Panthers" (series):

Everyone else as excited as me? :) His last album "The Next Day" was surprisingly good, so I can't wait to hear the new stuff. He always has something cool up his sleeve. Newest official pic btw (is this man rly a vampire? yes, must be):

4s16qr.jpg

Any favorite Bowie albums? Mine have to be "Aladdin Sane" and "Station To Station".

^ If you enjoyed Ziggy, then there's a good chance you'll also find stuff you like on his albums from around that time period: "The Man Who Sold the World", "Hunky Dory" and "Aladdin Sane". The first one is a bit all-over-the-place, second one's more gentle/mellow, and the third one's really glam-rawk.

^ Ah, I see! That's from a few years later, from the "Heroes" album, that's the middle part of his "Berlin Trilogy" of albums (Low, Heroes, Lodger). This was around the time when he moved to Berlin, so the local underground music scene (and drugs xD) had an influence on the spaced-out and more experimental sounds he employed on these records. These three (especially the first two) are considered some of his best work btw. :)

A cool TV performance from around this time period that captures the sound well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHpuY5TKHSk

Providence not being in my favor a grand total of zero of the stuff I was looking forward to this holiday season actually came out, so I'll give this a shot for having the courtesy of leaking. thx old bowie!

So a handful of marketing men have taxidermied Bowie's corpse and are well in the process of raiding his vaults for those posthumous shekels. The very douchely titled "Who Can I Be Now" packaged with the fabled ( or that's what they want you to think at marketing ) Gouster comes out today.   Are you going to give it a listen? Do you think Bowie's ghost will come haunt you should ye pirate it? I'm going to scour 'round the web nao seeing if anyone has uploaded this thing already

^ Yesss Lady Grinning Soul is excellent!

btw I still haven't checked that 'technically unreleased' old album, shame on me. ;w; Also, the cast album of the Lazarus play will come out on October 21, and if I'm understanding it correctly it should contain 3 original new songs sung by Bowie himself (songs that were featured in the play, but haven't been released in his version yet). Excited!

That Gouster was a nothing of an album. I think every song had been released before, and I'm not sure if these are even different recordings of those already released songs? The only harder to find addition on that set was I think the Nassau Coliseum live. I wouldn't mind seeing them release more cleaned up bootlegs or whatever live recordings happen to be laying around from the 70's, even though in my opinion his live performance got a little boring towards the end of the decade, but the mood of the trilogy was very hard to translate over so it figures. Now my favorite Bowie live recording however is Live Santa Monica '72! I actually do enjoy his last live stuff like A Reality Tour as well. He became this good-natured older gentleman and he just cheers me up even though it's this old man playing inoffensive noiseless renditions of his classics lolol. I just like him so much I can never get tired of his hearing his voice.

Just through my first listen of The Gouster, I think it's a pretty cool album. Tho I've only stuck with his main album discography for all my life, so I didn't know these extra 2 tracks that had been apparently released before as bonus tracks on some remastered editions etc. To me, the whole thing is like how Young Americans would have sounded in an alternative reality: a bit different, but not much. I still prefer the "original" previously released one ofc, but this is a nice addition to my virtual collection.

I haven't checked any of the other discs of the box set, cuz I already have all of those and I doubt the sound is ~that~ much better (talking about the live recordings here). They are pretty awesome live albums tho, as far as I can remember, especially David Live with all those different arrangements for his back-catalogue-at-the-time.

Btw my favorite live album from him is probably Stage, cuz the Berlin era is my shit. But I haven't really heard any bad live albums from Bowie (speaking of the '70s), so I haven't said much with that. xD A Reality Tour is pretty kickass too, some fun old songs mixed in with newer ones that sound even better live than in the studio (also, I looove Gail Ann Dorsey on bass).

Sign in to follow this