CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #33: How do you explore music?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #32  

70 members have voted

1. 1. How do you explore music?

• I don't explore too much these days. I mostly stick with the music I enjoy already.
    • I don't really explore. I usually wait for recommendations or to hear something that randomly catches my ear.
    • I find one scene that really resonates with me and discover everything about it!
    • I dabble in a few different scenes and try to keep up with them.
    • I don't stick to any particular scenes. I just try to find music that appeals to me.
    • I listen to any and everything I can get my hands on regardless of genre!
    • I like to explore music from a historical and educational angle. I try to find out which bands have been influential and learn about the different perspectives of each sound.
    • I explore music on a quantum hyperspace moped with Neil deGrasse Tyson ( ͡° Í?Ê? ͡°)
    • Other

I mostly listen to indie artists nowadays, and find new music via blogs or just going down the YouTube rabbit hole.

For VK I mostly listen to the stuff that makes me nostalgic, but over the years my appreciation for certain bands have changed. I dunno if it's just age, because I have broader musical tastes than I did as a teen, because I can speak Japanese fluently enough to pay more attention to the lyrics, or all of the above. Every now and then I try to find new VK music that I might like, but I feel like the scene has changed too much, and not in a way that interests me. (Although I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing... Any genre, if you can call VK that, has to evolve.)

Currently I just log into TIDAL (6 months free trial FTW) and check out their TIDAL rising artists section, and hit the shuffle button.

There's probably a similar option with Spotify/Apple Music.

The days of spending hours browsing YouTube are long gone for me.

I do give them credit, as they've GREATLY improved their algorithms for finding things I might like to see.

I'll still give them the time of day when a recommended video sits well for me.

Aside from that, I think I just blindly download a bunch of random releases from bands I've never heard of, and just delete the ones I don't enjoy.

These days I've been parking on certain labels. I tend to find that a label's output of music remains consistent in quality and content so it's likely I'll enjoy their new releases. And, if I like a band enough I'll follow any side projects done by any band members. 

Bandcamp is sometimes good too as you can see what the most recent hype is right on their homepage.

I also find that looking for vinyl records is a surprisingly serendipitous way of finding good music. Most music I enjoy nowadays have vinyl releases so I follow different forums and news sites to keep up. 

I'm the type that loves to hear recommendations from other people and select what appeals to me and listen to those a lot, then slowly dive into similar genres or artists. I also keep in mind whenever my favorite artists point out other artists they like and will give it a try and if I like it I make it mine hahaha XD.

These days I like to discover new artists by leaving my spotify to play songs on random XD.

I tend to stick to what I know for most of the time but am still open to new music genres and recommendations.