Sign in to follow this  
Trombe

青木裕(aoki yutaka)(downy) solo new album release EDIT: NOW WITH KAORU FROM DIR EN GREY

Whoa! Consider me very interested! I wonder if it'll sound anything like downy or unkie or whether it'll be something completely different?

If this was Robin's solo instead, it'd been a lot more Radiohead-y than anything late Downy-ish - but it's Yutaka now so idk what to expect, intriguing!

If this was Robin's solo instead, it'd been a lot more Radiohead-y than anything late Downy-ish - but it's Yutaka now so idk what to expect, intriguing!

I can see that. Although I think a Robin solo would be closer to Thom's solo stuff...more overtly electronic.

I can see that. Although I think a Robin solo would be closer to Thom's solo stuff...more overtly electronic.

Yeah, I'm more inclined towards Cat's way of thinking here. Robin's always shown a lot of interest in electronic music, and let's not forget that he was part of Dhal too.

judging from a purely visual standpoint one could feel tempted to suspect some black/doom influences, goatheads and such...

It's amusing that you mentioned this considering the fact that I was literally just talking with Cat about the general lack of Japanese doom and the like. It'd be really interesting to hear if he does go down that route.

I have a feeling that cover may be his own artwork, since he's previously served as an illustrator for unkie and on the Helping Hand albums.

Maybe this is me just being a pessimist, but I think this means that Shinya is now the only member of Dir en grey that isn't involved in some sort of side/solo project. I'm fearing the end of Dir en grey more and more ...

Or they're trying to keep the band together by allowing all the members creative outlets outside of the realm of the band? Personally I feel like the band chemistry have gotten a lot better ever since sukekiyo started, for example. 

And, the band haven't looked happier together in years than they did on this tour, playing pranks on each other and having real fun while on stage. If this was 2005 I'd be worried about disbandment but right now things are looking bright, at least from an outside perspective.

10 minutes ago, patientZERO said:

Maybe this is me just being a pessimist, but I think this means that Shinya is now the only member of Dir en grey that isn't involved in some sort of side/solo project.

he's hustling quite a bit outside of the band (Asagi solo support drumming is one thing I can recall r.n.), see his instagram for more stuff.

10 minutes ago, patientZERO said:

I'm fearing the end of Dir en grey more and more ...

take a xanax????

Edited by nekkichi

38 minutes ago, patientZERO said:

Maybe this is me just being a pessimist, but I think this means that Shinya is now the only member of Dir en grey that isn't involved in some sort of side/solo project.

Not only is he involved in support work with Asagi, but also with Kamijo and Toshi.

This makes me SO delighted to see!!! I know we international fans like to differentiate between VK and non-VK and we tend to associate the term 'J-rock' more heavily with VK bands and perhaps a few mainstream acts, but collaborations like this completely destroy that narrative, and I love it! You have two renown musicians, Aoki Yutaka from downy (a legendary "non-vk" band) and Kaoru of DIR EN GREY (a legendary "vk" band) and I think (or rather I hope) it promotes a more inclusive vision of "J-rock", at least for us international fans.

Great to see Morrie and Sugizo involved too. This is going to be quite an interesting album! Looking forward to it!

i am so happy to hear this.

kaoru once recommended downy in an interview,

how despite the act is an indie, but the output surpasses its band's position.

i could actually see this working good.

wtf this is shaping up to become something that might actually be even cooler than sukekiyo.... Aoki, Kaoru, Sugizo and Morrie all working together? boiiii.......

9 hours ago, WhirlingBlack said:

Or they're trying to keep the band together by allowing all the members creative outlets outside of the realm of the band? Personally I feel like the band chemistry have gotten a lot better ever since sukekiyo started, for example. 

And, the band haven't looked happier together in years than they did on this tour, playing pranks on each other and having real fun while on stage. If this was 2005 I'd be worried about disbandment but right now things are looking bright, at least from an outside perspective.

That's true. I really didn't think about it like that. I just fear the worst in situations It's a bad habit. Thanks for a different perspective! They did look pretty happy at the last live I saw them in.

Kaoru's been pretty open about his love for downy for a few years now, so him being involved with this doesn't necessarily surprise me even though I'll admit I wasn't exactly expecting it. SUGIZO can be really cool when he gets his creative cap on, so it's nice that he's involved in some capacity too; I wonder if his involvement means that there's going to be a prominent violin component in there somewhere? Don't know anything about Morrie so I can't really comment on his involvement.

Edited by Pho

Sign in to follow this