Pandabear

How Do You Organize Your Music?

Well I used to divide by asian and western music, then artists, then releases. but I I got so behind on tagging music that I just have random "new folders" just chilling in my music folder each with hundreds of un-tagged/un-categorized releases...

26F6pQF.jpg

it's pretty bad, but I would have to work on tagging and organizing, and that could take months

10 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

Well I used to divide by asian and western music, then artists, then releases. but I I got so behind on tagging music that I just have random "new folders" just chilling in my music folder each with hundreds of un-tagged/un-categorized releases...

it's pretty bad, but I would have to work on tagging and organizing, and that could take months

new fold

All my music is just dumped into a folder for the year I downloaded right now. But I keep everything in .zip files to save space since most of it is on my ipod.  When I organise my folders I sort the files by artist, with the year of release either at the end or start of the file name. 

I used to have my music collection separated into East and West folders, but since then I've completely ditched my West folder because I so rarely listen to anything other than visual kei.

I usually organize my collection first by artist, and then by album. I try to keep my folder names in romaji only, so that I can write file paths without too much hassle. My syntax looks pretty much like this:

F:\Musiikki\Purple stone\[2014.11.26] Amazuppai mango (Limited edition)

I use Foobar2000, so I usually fix the tags and add album arts right after downloading something. JAM, the skin I'm using, just looks so ugly without album arts but absolutely fabulous with them.

I must've spent thousands of hours organizing my music collection... And still it isn't finished XD But at least most of the stuff I regularly listen to is super neat!

All of my music is on a large flashdrive.

And honestly my organization is getting quite questionable now...

I organize by

Year > Month > Album or Single > Songs

And by these dates, I don't mean release dates I mean days that I actually downloaded or ripped them :D

i wonder if i'm the only one who does this, i love B-sides but hate having so many singles in my iTunes or playing thru them 2 tracks at a time, so i take all an artist's B-sides from a set of years and arrange them into a custom album....
so i'll have like the 'album' Vermilion by ナイトメア, and it'll look like

Spoiler

1- Love Addict
2- Romeo
3- Rover
4- Trauma
5- ByeBye
6- Star Spangled Breaker
7- Dazzle
8- Ugly Duck's Will
9- アイリス
10- Paranoid
11- Rubbish
12- Honesty

and i'll do the same w/ rereleases, unplugged vers, and demotapes....

Music 

- Instrumental stuff

- j-pop

- western pop 'n' stuff

- western rock 'n' stuff

- non-vishual jrock 'n' stuff

- "sexy vishual chinese-boys" (in spanish. yes, I am aware they aren't chinese)

Then subdivide those folders by artist name, then album. I don't bother with dates, though half of my downloaded files already included the date.

I keep videos somewhere else.

Using Apple's ecosystem right now (iPhone, iTunes, AirPlay)

I have a special Windows setup to tag and manage the music I get/buy.

Most of the software I'm using is pretty dated and needs Windows to run: 

- QMPlayer for Gracenote lookup (needs to be in a format QMP can read and tag)

- foobar2000 for conversion from anything to ALAC/AAC

- MusicBrainz Picard for tagging

- mp3tag to copy/paste tags between files or just fix the tags in old files

My day to day machine is a MacBook Pro, hence I use some OSX tools too:

- XLD to rip the CDs (can use iTunes' lookup data, musicbrainz or CDDB)

- vox/XLD to convert from obscure formats to ALAC/AAC

- Metadatics to edit the tags

btw, if you're a fan of j-music, use XLD on OSX (or cdparanoia on linux) to rip old CDs from big japanese labels. some of them have rootkits to prevent audio ripping on windows.

I put all mine on a bookshelf, but I also have a 'Master List' spreadsheet.  The Master List has fields for band, release, SKU, condition notes (OBI or no OBI, PV DVD or not, etc), then what shelf it is on.  

gTg3zei.jpg

I have a folder structure with the following form:

Music

>>Japan

>>>>Anime

>>>>Doujin

>>>>Jpop

>>>>Jrock

>>>>Visual Rock

>>>>>>1. [Bands]

>>>>>>2. [V.A. Omnibus]

>>>>>>3. [Zipped]

>>>>>>4. [V.A. Couplings]

>>>>>>5. [Lossless rips]

>>>>>>6. [TEREKO]

And rename the files as follows:

[yyyy.mm.dd] album title / artist - album title - track number - track title.mp3 (flac or m4a)