Sign in to follow this  
Kaleidoscope

Closer To Ideal (New Band)

Hey guys, I'd like to introduce my newly formed band, Closer To Ideal! We draw inspiration from bands like D'espairsRay, girugamesh, lynch and ALSDEAD, but also several Metalcore and Power Metal bands. The other two band members of CTI are quite experienced, however, for me, this is my first proper band experience. 

You can listen to our first song on YT and SoundCloud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69deLRYMYds

https://soundcloud.com/quartervoid/closer-to-ideal-pulse

Any feedback is appreciated :)
Oh and if you like our stuff, check out our FB:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Closer-To-Ideal/684617381671324?fref=ts

Wow! This is sounding really good! Your screams are one of my favorite parts of the song. They're really punchy since you have a more classical clean vocal. Nice job!

Hm.. it's just a demo right? I mean for the fact that the whole thing is recorded with computer, I can't really tell if your band pulls that off. The vocals are weak, the screams are modded, the band name has a grammar error.. it's like you wanted to pack every jrock/VK cliche there is into this band. I didn't like it, but you're just beginning, right? I'm sure you will improve soon :)

The screams/growls are strong and clear, a true highlight as has already said. You sound like one of those professional growlers in well known heavy bands. When just singing, I'd say the band playing is more precise than the vocals. With more vocal training, I think you'll also sound really powerful even when not growling. Very catchy lyrics and tempo overall. A really positive and great effort, looking forward to hearing more!

Pretty mixed feedback it seems, thank you for the comments!

@ender-ender: Thanks a lot, glad you liked it :) Gonna work on more stuff and trying to improve!

@DogManX: Yeah, it is a demo and all done with home recording. Why shouldn't we pull it off though? We all recorded our instruments/vocals at home and put the whole thing together, apart from the drums there is nothing artificial. I respect your opinion, but I think you are being overly negative here - the screams have absolutely no effects on them apart from compression (which is standard for all vocals), the band name is a reference to a D'espairsRay song of the same name and I personally don't think my vocals are weak, whereas the last part is of course just my opinion. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, indeed we are just at the beginning and trying to improve!

@beni: Thanks a lot, glad you enjoyed it :) Screaming is actually not really my main style, but I'm very happy to hear that you like it that much! I'm in fact a classically trained singer (if you wanna hear something in that direction, check out this cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmBOBg5fA-o), however, this song is a bit on the higher end of my range, so my control is indeed lacking sometimes, I can see what you mean there. Gonna work on that for the next recordings, thanks a lot again!

checked out cuz d'espairsray teehee love that song

pretty good, i just wish there was a little more variation in the tempo; i would have loved to hear a fast section but i love the section before the chorus

also ur a pretty good vocalist! great job for ur first song

@emmny: Thanks a lot, so glad you liked it and even more glad you enjoyed my singing! Haha, was hoping D'espa fans would drop by, they will always be my biggest inspiration for music :) 

Yeah, I kinda see what you mean with that - this one is pretty straightforward, so we will try to make the songwriting more interesting for the next few songs, thanks a lot for your feedback!

vocals are somehow souless. i guess there´s not much emotion in the lyrics for you? otherwise quite okay, i guess. more practise and you´ll do good :)

(i´d really like to hear you singing from the bottom of your heart though, some pop-punk track lol)

Thanks for listening and commenting! Hmm, the lyrics are indeed not overly personal - to me it didn't feel soulless at all when I recorded it, but that's definitely something rather subjective. I guess it might be because I have a pretty technical approach to singing? I sometimes think a bit too much about the singing itself (which is most likely due to the classical background), so I guess a rather Rock-ish approach to the vocals might help to have a better impact. Definitely appreciating the feedback, gonna try to improve that, thank you!

Hey guys, we finished another song via homerecording and I thought I might share it again. We tried to improve some of the points that were criticised before, which for me was mainly emotion - hope you can hear the difference, would appreciate any feedback :)

You have an amazing voice for Power Metal there, and I had hoped that that was what the rest of the track followed with as it began to build up towards something rather epic. But then the screams began and I find them to be very non-fitting and not in line with your clean voice, if I may be entirely honest. The combination just sounds very odd to me and the traversion from Power Metal into metalcore is rather sudden and... weird. As if the two pieces don't belong together.

Have you ever covered Power Metal? I'd love to hear you sing some Stratovarius.

You have an amazing voice for Power Metal there, and I had hoped that that was what the rest of the track followed with as it began to build up towards something rather epic. But then the screams began and I find them to be very non-fitting and not in line with your clean voice, if I may be entirely honest. The combination just sounds very odd to me and the traversion from Power Metal into metalcore is rather sudden and... weird. As if the two pieces don't belong together.

Have you ever covered Power Metal? I'd love to hear you sing some Stratovarius.

Glad you liked my singing, thanks a lot!

Yeah, fair enough, those are definitely some rather sudden changes in the song. Originally, our musical direction was more towards more Metalcore and modern Metal, but since both of my as well as our guitarist's influences include Power Metal, the chorus got that flair unconsciously somehow :D Generally, we wanted to do a lot of genre-jumping in the songs (as I did want to bring in some J-rock feeling), but we will have to work on making it sound more natural and smooth.

As to your question: Yup, I used to sing a lot of Kamelot, but those covers are rather old unfortunately - if you still want to take a look, here you go. 

Also working on a Galneryus cover with another band!

yo those screams r sicccccckkk

Thaaanks, glad you liked them!

Sign in to follow this