Sign in to follow this  
Menzo

Dir en grey EU Tour 2015

Even if somebody had invited me to come with them (which isn't the case, naturally), Eindhoven is still too far for me for such a dull live band. Zero crowd-interaction, setlist blends into itself without even so much of an announcement of a new song, and I am not going to watch a bunch of egotripping, selfloving guys on stage. I can only imagine this attitude has at least quadrupled itself since the last time I saw them. Frankly they're not worth my money. There's no ambience at all, they release great material over studio-records, but that's it for me, might as well watch them on Youtube.

I sort of agree with you. I agree that they can sometimes be a dull live act; but I enjoy how they run through their songs for a set. In fact, I wish more bands did it to create an atmosphere for a show. Instead of stopping and announcing each song, a good setlist to convey the proper mood tends to give the better experience. Though I guess that depends on the kind of band performing, doesn't it? When it comes to live shows, I hold atmosphere above most of the experience because that's one of the only qualities that make the shows special, and I think Dir en grey do a decent job at that.

The only problem I have is how boring the audience tends to be, and that's the only thing that would prevent me from seeing them live in the first place. There was one show I went to where the audience was good, NYC in 2009, other than that it's always the same: people pack in, wrap their arms around rail, every one behind them packs in like sardines, and once the show starts no one moves. People are more worried about their view of the band than they are the experience of hearing them perform live. Add to that the sheer horror from members of the audience when a pit gets started, and it just ends up as awkward for everyone.

At that point there is little reason to see them live.

The only problem I have is how boring the audience tends to be, and that's the only thing that would prevent me from seeing them live in the first place. There was one show I went to where the audience was good, NYC in 2009, other than that it's always the same: people pack in, wrap their arms around rail, every one behind them packs in like sardines, and once the show starts no one moves. People are more worried about their view of the band than they are the experience of hearing them perform live. Add to that the sheer horror from members of the audience when a pit gets started, and it just ends up as awkward for everyone.

At that point there is little reason to see them live.

Wow, I've seen them 4 times since 2007, and every single time I've had to try not to end up with too many bruises from all the guys in the pit/moshes/whatever else they come up with. The first time might have been a transition between the VK fangirls and the *core fans in which I remember a VK girl staring us down so hard because we'd accidentally touched her as the guys behind us were being too rowdy, but the other times were pretty much regular gigs.

A gig where there is no movement wouldn't be a gig for me tbh.

I'll go to their London gig on the 24th if my plane is on time - for some reason I though it would be a good idea to fly to Mucc's concert in Germany on the 23rd and my flight back is on the 24th... I should be able to make it... I'm a bit crazy.. ugh.

They're not as happy and joyous as other bands and don't make massive amount of comments during their lives but I'm fine with that because I'd rather have them be the way they are instead of pretending to be something they're not just to please the masses. And at the end of the day I go to a concert to listen to the songs and not have the vocalist scream "london" every five seconds and ask us how we are.

Oh come on. That's just going to move the end time of the concert for no reason. Real convenient for those who travel for hours to get to the venue and want to catch a train back...

pls stahp. pls not london.

Edit: I remember they once had "Fair to Midland" as support act.. Those guys were good... what a downgrade...

here's what to expect.

2015.05.17 RE:PUBLIC, Minsk, Belarus

01. Intro (New)

02. 咀嚼 / Soshaku

03. Sustain The Untruth

04. Cause Of Fickleness

05. Un Deux

06. 鱗 / Uroko

07. 濤声 / Tousei

08. 輪郭 / Rinkaku

09. 空谷の跫音 / Kukoku No Kyouon

10. 禍夜想 / Magayasou

11. Phenomenon

12. Behind A Vacant Image

13. Chain Repulsion

14. The Inferno

15. Revelation Of Mankind

Encore

16. 朔-Saku-

17. THE FINAL

18. 激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇 / Hageshisa...

Lol exactly

Why are people so negative about them playing stuff from Arche? I thought tours this year are *solely* dedicated to that album so it's certainly given that they will play Arche only...? (Arche has received better responses than DSS too, btw)

Optimist thoughts: Arche's at least *executable* compared to the pro tools-fest of DSS, and Uroboros' been overplayed for years - time to move on!

tumblr_noilekdorG1rrcx41o2_500.jpg

They went back to their panda makeup-era btw - like most of them anyway

(man, I thought this issue was already solved in another thread???)

The Final fucking AGAIN though? Jesus christ

They never visited Minsk earlier, or did they? In case they didn't, then it'd be given (as well) that they play at least THE FINAL or Saku or any kind of "classic Dir banger" (post-'04)  you could come up with.  In case this kind of encore happened in one of the countries they have been to like shittons of times (Germany, NL) then it'd be a whole new ballgame :)

Speaking of which, I didn't see any kind of interest/satisfaction in their overall performance - why did Kyo leave so quickly?

Setlist is underwhelming and it has nothing to do with ARCHE. It's the fact that they feel like they can shorten their already very short setlists just because they can get away with it overseas... plus lazily just throwing together the encore by squeezing all their most overplayed tracks together. I'm surprised dead tree isn't in there.

If they don't play Fukai on any of the gigs I'm attending I'll throw the VULGAR scorebook in Kaorus face at the last gig.

Encore

16. 朔-Saku-

17. THE FINAL

18. 激しさと、この胸の中で絡み付いた灼熱の闇 / Hageshisa...

Europe just got blown the fuck out.

That Encore makes me cringe. Though, don't get your hopes up for any changes for the NA tour, Dir en grey are famously lazy when it comes to their set construction and live performance.

EDIT: added a word

Sign in to follow this