Sign in to follow this  
inartistic

How do you organize your collection?

Put all in a desk drawers because I don't have much original cds and old dvds and stuff are in a big antique box.

I would rather ask how you all organize digital collection. :3

In one really big folder XDD

And I have 2 external memories of 500 GB lol (one of them is with moovies and other stuff +music and the second is only j-rock and it's full O_O

I put band's disco, pictures and music in one folder and sort bands by genres and compilations by years :3

Thats way more than I could do XD I've been wanting to do the whole /band name/release name/ thing but that just seems like it'd be way too much work at this point(over 2000 cds x_x). Right now I just have each cd in a zip file(with no compression) and a naming scheme of (release date) band name - release name.zip. It isn't really the worst option since foobar2000 can "play" zip files, but you can't retag the files in them. Over the last few months I've extracted everything and have been retagging/renaming the whole lot so that I can eventually do the band folder thing(will never finish :()

With bands I collect the discographies of, I purchase boxes similar to inartistic's, only in silver, and fill them with CDs and merchandise (namely photosets, cheki, picks, flat things that won't waste space in the box).

Stray CDs by bands that have either only released one or I never got into are stacked in the cupboard. My entire collection remains virtually untouched, though. I rip the CDs and then never take them out again. For comment CDs, I keep them in those plastic binder/book things.

Digital collection is organised alphabetically and then like: Artist→ (XX.XX.XX) Album Title → 01. Track Name.mp3

Edited by SUBLIMINAL

I don't organize my physical CD collection, I just keep the ones that I have on replay at the moment on my desk in my bedroom so I can play them easily whenever I'm in my room, but by the time I get a laptop in my room and my iTunes transferred my CDs will probably be history.

My iTunes however is organized like a fucking freak show. I have to have everything labeled absolutely appropriately and I cannot have any symbols in anything, which is why I always ask for Romaji.

I can't read them, really. like I recognize band names... ones that I'm extremely familiar with, but I like to see the letters and just see what it is.

I'm also curious about symbols O_O

Itunes organizes perfectly if the tags are correct.

It's a freak show when someone rips cds like that >>

61bb944cd379.jpg

I wonder how people can listen to such unknown artist-unknown album.. I spend much time but retag it all.

Maybe my iTunes just sucks then, because 80% of the time the albums get all messed up and I have to organize them track by track.

Or maybe it's my obsessive compulsive disorder that makes me organize them irregardless of wether or not they come up right.

iTunes just rips it's in the good order, it most of the time it's the zipping/rarring program that fucks up the files. I tend to keep it to a minimum, but since I download the whole week through, but only once or twice a week unzip it in a batch and add it to iTunes, I most of the time don't know which release it was in the first place xD, so I end up removing it before listening, and in some cases I remember which release it was etc and re-download it again, just to unzip and rename it immediatly :)

Guess I'll be taking a picture of my Japanese CD-case in a few days...

IMG_0478.jpg

I need some of those so badly! D:

For digital files I have iTunes sort for me. Back in the slsk days I used Winamp and manually sorted everything but I didn't download so much at once like I do now so it was a little easier. I can't even imagine sorting the files I pick up now like I use too! I'm also pretty OCD about tags >:-\

A couple years ago my old computer died and I didn't back up files so I lost about 200 gigs of music, videos and photos which super sucked. So now I back up everything to a one terabyte external hardrive and to a two terabyte home server I have here in my apartment then usually once a year I burn everything to DVDRs. So if the PC fails, I'll have my external as back up and if the external fails I'll have my server as back up and if the server fails I'll have my DVDRs. If all of those fail I'm going to kill myself :D

I never want to go through a complete file lost like I did before D:

I need some of those so badly! D:

I wish I knew where to find them :( I'd say your best bet would be looking on a local craigslist or ebay. I have no idea when these were made, but they seem pretty aged, so I can assume it was quite some time ago.

Maybe my iTunes just sucks then, because 80% of the time the albums get all messed up and I have to organize them track by track.

Or maybe it's my obsessive compulsive disorder that makes me organize them irregardless of wether or not they come up right.

The problem (if I understand) is in the tagging system itself. There are three or four main tagging systems, and most files have information from all of them due to people tagging and retagging over and over with various shitty programs. iTunes recognizes bits and pieces of the information + some of their own proprietary tags (you wouldn't believe the stupid tags iTunes adds when you rip something through it!). So it turns out to be one big cluster fuck.

The only way to really fix it is to download a good tagging program (I use Mp3tag) and delete allllll of the shit tags that are on the file, and then retag it yourself. Ensures that it will show up in iTunes correctly, and will preserve correct information for all future generations ;~;

Postscript: the only program worse than iTunes for tags is Windows Media Player. Shit s-u-x-sucks

I wanted to talk about this as a reverse take from the CD sorting topic, so I figured it's better to necro than repost. I keep my small/medium-ish CD collection within two separate boxes, one up high on my bookshelf and the other on my floor (because my shelf is out of room for it). Originally, when I was getting into VK around 15, I kept my CDs in this emptied, old Christmas chocolates tin. I only had about like 10 CDs total because I didn't have a job yet and therefore no disposable income. All my VK CDs were gifts from my parents or western ones I bought at the record shop for cheap. After I saved up enough money from my job I began buying some because the collector love had been planted in me. After fleshing out my faves selection and my MM collection, that old tin was dangerously overflowing. The CDs even tipped over and hit me on the head one time (My only Rouage CD nearly took my fucking eye out) which made me realize that I had to upgrade. I noticed a nice, big soft box at my work for sale a few days prior so I decided to go with that one. What an upgrade that was, if CDs could talk I bet they'd thank me for taking them out of that cold old tin and into the cozy soft box. My collection grew slowly until quarantine this year, wherein quarantine spending made my collection triple and get too big for the box. So I bought another, less softer one that was smaller, yet managed to fit more CDs in it, somehow. To point where I could just put all my normal CDs in the small box and all my other VK stuff (books) and awkward shaped CDs (collector boxes, 8cms) into the big one.

TL;DR: I put my CDs in a small box on my bookshelf, and my books/collector boxes/8cm singles into a bigger box on the floor. 

The small box has officially been filled up, and I've transferred the end line of my collection (for clarification, the "end line" of my collection is as designated by my current sorting status, which can shift from being my western CDs, my Kanji artist-name CDs, etc.) into the big box but I wonder what will happen when I manage to fill it up too... I guess it's another box for me! Though I am thinking about investing in a CD rack at this rate.

Sign in to follow this