Sign in to follow this  
inartistic

How do you organize your collection?

I'm probably alone and crazy on this one, but does anyone else have specific ways they organize their CD/whatever collection? My stuff is pretty ridiculously organized just because I have limited space.

• - For regular CD's, I like to keep them in the jewel case, so I try to use snap boxes like
this. They're a little hard to find here though; as soon as I bought a couple, my local stores stopped carrying them.
- For distributed/comment CD's/DVD's, I keep them in these bad boys, which are fucking awesome. Basically just a mini-file cabinet that pulls out to reveal hanging sleeves, so it's super accessible. Unfortunately, as soon as I bought two, they stopped being made, and I can't even find them online! So I'm fucked as soon as the second one fills up >( (each holds 80, so hopefully it will be a while).
- For goods, a few things: flyers I keep in clear sleeves in a 3″ binder; photosets I keep in little nondescript photo books (can never find ones the exact dimensions of photosets though >| ); cheki and stickers and everything else that defies organization, I keep in a big plastic bag that's shoved somewhere in my bookcase.
- For books, I keep the main ~precious~ ones in bookends on a shelf. For my old Cure magazines, I just keep them in a pile on the floor since they are too heavy to be on the case ;x. And for crazy ass huge books (Matina 1999 IMAGE)... I just stick them somewhere.
- VHS's and DT's are assholes and can't be organized in any sane way, so I've just jerry-rigged homes for them out of those free flat-rate postal boxes.
- Oh, and DVD's I just keep in a stack under the bed because wtf, I have no space for that shit!

So, hmm, have I lost any friends due to creepiness? Or do some of you do the same thing :D?

Okay...

Warning to inartistic and other fastidious organizers: the following may cause serious damage to your mental health. ;)

How do you organize your collection?

I don't.

mew0002.jpg

It's usually not that unorganized though.... but I'm in the process of cleaning up my apartment and I put some stuff there that usually doesn't belong there. Also some CDs are missing cause I took them to the computer fo re-encoding.

The CDs used to be sorted by popularity (ie. stuff I liked in more prominent places), but I haven't re-arranged them in quite ome time. For example, there's a huge stack of metal CDs from this year that haven't been sorted at all yet, next to the Aliene Ma'riage CD (the clock).

^I don't really either. Currently any Cd that I bought before the end of August is back home in new york and in boxes (hopefully still or I'll have to kill someone) D: All releases by the same artist should be together and the artists I like the most should be more towards the center so if anything were to happen to said boxes those should have some cushioning. Anything I've bought since moving is in a stack on my dresser with the releases I enjoy more on the bottom, once again because in case anything happens they have a smaller chance of falling and cracking.

I have two small overflowing shoe boxes of CD's falling all over each other. Generally they are placed in alphabetical order by artist, but I get too lazy putting them back. . .

This is the current state I found them in today:

mess.jpg

^___^

All my DVD's are somewhere buried with my old video game collection and my magazines are . . . somewhere. . .

I have some storage cases similar to inartistic's accept my cases are 22 years old (no bullshit. I got them from my step-uncle who is 72). As for the categorization, it doesn't exist. :D

-Semi Related-

I have a ton of autographs from con's and expo's I've been to or volunteered at and they are either framed or in this ridiculously thick binder.

mydeskohnooo.jpg

I actually just cleaned my mess up (more like just moved it). I wish I snapped a photo of the entire mess but this is literally just the corner of it. If this was a full photo of everything, the right of what's in the photo would be an over stuffed CD holder with shit stacked on top. Next to my desk is a flimsy Ikea shelf full of VHS tapes, magazines and even more CDs. I cleaned off my desk last weekend aside for some stuff I plan to rip into lossless because I actually need work space now :-\

Thanks for linking those storage boxes, I might buy six or seven of them xDDDDDD

I plan on selling my Shoxx and Cure magazines but right now they're all in a box in our extra room. I moved all my CDs into the spare room with my magazines and they're just sitting in stacks. I plan to organize by label actually.

I don't know wtf I'm gonna do with the demo tapes :-\

well, because one ugly past events when i still live in Asia,

where i caught a rattle snake lurks into my room

because it was too messy and dirty, i never dare to have messy room anymore.

uh huh, snakes love dirty places.

for CDs and DVDs

i stacked most played or favourites one on top my Stereo and DVD player

also used to got the second copy on my car dashboard.

but since i can plug iPOD into my car stereo, my dashboard are way more neater now.

While old CDs/DVDs for music, movies and Playstation/Xbox,

i stores them into big boxes, and put them on store rooms in my Dad's cellar.

Since i live in small flat, not enough to stores too many junks like that :P

Similiar for books, most read i will put bed desk.

And the old books will be stores into boxes and rest under my bed.

Only take it out when i need it.

while unused papers will surely be ditched every month.

I don't.

I'm surprised yours isn't more organized Champ! But it looks like you'd need a bigger dedicated space for that amount of CDs~

I don't know wtf I'm gonna do with the demo tapes :-\

Yeah you are screwed :D The only cassette storage you can find nowadays is those hideous wood panel slide out drawers!

And since everyone else has pixxx:

mi-coleccion.jpg

i organize my music and mobile games files by genre

in my multiply.com the order of my posts is according to date and most favorite.

I don't have more than 5-600 CDs and they are all lying in boxes in my wardrobe. I don't have more than 30 vinyls so I'm just keeping them in the wardrobe as well, but in a bag. Need to find space to have them out, though. I've got around 15 tapes and they're just lying in the drawer right beside me.

DVDs are just random in the thingy right over my computer screen. Or, half of it which is 20 series and 200 DVDs. All I can fit into there. 50 of them are lying around my TV and the rest (10-15 seasons of different series and 250 normals films) are lying at my moms house. Do not have enough space to keep anything here.

So I don't organize anything when it comes to that. I don't use much of it anyway. At least not the CDs. Can't remember the last time I used a CD. I do not own a tape or vinyl player at the moment either, so I don't use them as of today. But as soon as I get myself a new vinyl player and tape player I'll pick them out of where they're lying. CDs will be kept in the wardrobe for a long time since I don't use them.

I don't.

I'm surprised yours isn't more organized Champ!

I'm afraid I'm not a very organized person in general. I'm the kind of person that wishes there was an F3-function for real life. :lol: (The files on my computer are a lot more organized though, but only the music files)

lol im with Cibicco-san on this one, but i alphabetize my cds in each shoe box lol. All my live dist cd's are in those small jewel cases that ive bought from wal-mart and in the same boxes inartistic has and fits about 60-80 and i have 2 filled up so far and when i went back to wal mart they didnt have those boxes anymore T-T. My vhs' are cluttered in my closet under my stairs on the shelf with my dvds lol.

My collection is pretty small, so it's all on a shelf in my bookcase.

All my flyers are in one of those non-bendable folders, which is in an expandable hard plastic portfolio with a couple issues of Vinyl Syndicate and other fold/bendable items

All my cds are stacked in my CD Rack because I only have 30 something CDs, and the ones with slipcases are just sitting on my desk whilst my DVDs, the very little collection I have of them, are littered around my room.

hmmz, not really organizing... I got a CD-rack, and I got it organized as followed

Upper row - ART-SCHOOL stuff and the likes, so also KAREN, COLD KITCHEN etc are on that row

Second row - Alternative rock by male vocals, bands as Jeepta, Dirty Old Men, Uranino, Any, OYA, UTC, ACIDMAN etc etc

Third row - Female fronted stuff, bands as SEBASTIAN X, FLiP, noanowa, me-al art, massdre etc

Fourth row - misc stuff, mostly electronic or indie pop, bands as sinsei kamattechan, inspire:tion, MONICA URANGLASS,

Then furthermore I have a small portion on my desk with rare stuff, as demotapes, CDR's, comment discs etc, and my folk-stuff...

My VK stuff is just in a box under my bed xD

I'm more organized with my music than with my Xbox 360-games... Got 3 DVD racks, which can hold a total of 99 DVD's (I believe), but I only got like 70% in it, while the others are all over my room xD (I got about 150 360-games)

I keep all mines in a nice UPS box along with the bubble wrap. My Anime OST's are sadly collecting dust.

Everything used to lay around in boxes and all that things, but I got a hold on myself and now everything is organized in alphabetical order in a stack (those you usually put under your TV), althought I have around 200 CDs it's becoming crowded -_-". Goodies, photobooks, and CD-books are either with my books or nicely put on shelves.

My collection is organized normally, nothing more. I am not there to clean 24hour x 24hour my CDs/goods, but I really care of them...

I actually just took pictures a few days ago for a thread on SomethingAwful about collections, so I thought I might post them here to show how I organize XD

IMG_0468.jpg

Most of my stuff gets put on my bookshelf. Theres DVDs on the top, cds on the 2nd row, cds + special edition things + misfit demotapes that won't fit into my tape racks, then 2 shelves of VHS tapes.

IMG_0473.jpg

VHS overflow stack in my closet XD I really need to get another bookshelf or something specifically for VHS tapes :<

IMG_0478.jpg

My tape racks. I picked up these bad boys off craigslist a few months ago and only regret that the guy didn't have any more :( Those are sitting right above my computer with my cassette deck and VCRs on a table to the right of that.

Put all in a desk drawers because I don't have much original cds and old dvds and stuff are in a big antique box.

I would rather ask how you all organize digital collection. :3

Put all in a desk drawers because I don't have much original cds and old dvds and stuff are in a big antique box.

In one really big folder XDD

In one really big folder XDD

And I have 2 external memories of 500 GB lol (one of them is with moovies and other stuff +music and the second is only j-rock and it's full O_O

I put band's disco, pictures and music in one folder and sort bands by genres and compilations by years :3

Sign in to follow this