CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #12: What year did you start listening to VK?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #12  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What year did you start listening to VK?

• 1996 or before-

I started in 2001 after moving to 沖縄 [Okinawa].

My best friend was half Japanese, Half American (We called him the "Cracker Jap" - which yes is terribly offensive, but he came up with it) and introduced me to Japanese music through countless hours of playing Guitar Freaks and Drum Mania at our local Game Center.

From that game I got hooked on Train-Train by the Blue Hearts, Hide's Rocket Dive, 天体観測 by Bump of Chicken, and ロマンス by Penicillin.  From there I found out about the bigger named Japanese bands, like X-Japan, Luna Sea, Siam Shade, L'arc~en~ciel, Janne da Arc and Gackt and starting visiting the now defunct blog http://jrock.pitas.com (Shiroi Heya) [if you want a moment frozen in time - visit that page) and learned about the world of J-Rock through their recommendations.  I remember that Ain't Afraid to Die by Dir en grey was their top song of the week - and due to that I bought 鬼葬 and my world was changed by that album.

After that I just wandered Tsutaya, searching for dark J-Rock bands and scoured VK magazines like Cure, Shoxxx and Fool's Mate to learn about band names, then would buy their CDs if I liked their look - without hearing a single sample song.  I did this for years.  This was how I found out about The Gazette (I bought 犯行声明文), Mucc (I bought 我在るべき場所), and Nightmare (I bought 茜) I even recall literally driving two hours to Naha to buy Born by D'espairsRay after seeing it during a school field trip, but not having the money to buy it.

I miss those days and memories.  J-Rock has evolved so much since then, and I love it all the more.

Wow, pretty even distribution.

2004/2005 for me. A friend introduced me to Gackt in 2004, and I went through a Gackt phase for about a year before somehow transitioning to Dir en grey, MUCC, etc. Not sure how that happened.

Circa 2004 thanks to Moi dix Mois' european release of their Nocturnal Opera album. Followed by D'espairsRay and Dir en grey (in 2004 and 2005)

I really started listenin to Vk bands in 2008, when my sis' first introduced me to girugämesh with "Kowarete Iku Sekai". After that I started discovering the "giants" of Vk like D'espairsRay or DEG, and so on.

2008, when the soundtrack of a video game I played was done by Gackt. I basically started there.

This is what also helped me to get into Vk, it was around 2007 I guess. Damn, I used to listen a lot of stuff from Gackt during these years.

I was introduced to Raphael, Due le quartz, and phobia by a friend back in late 2002/early 2003.
Oh god, that means I've literally been into VK for half my life. What am I doing with myself.

It was on 2008, during the middle-schools. While I was surfing through the net, listening to Tokio Hotel's songs (!!) and for a reason which nowadays I don't remember, the suggestions took me to my first j-rock/visual kei song... Azure by Duel Jewel.

And then nothing was the same :)

2003 - accidentally found a Malice Mizer video when looking for a Gackt (someone had recommended I listen to him on GameFAQs after I mentioned how much I loved Ayumi Hamasaki) vid. Bless the days of Kazaa / WINMX. It was Beast of Blood. My taste in music never had a chance.

Same! Ah, the WinMX days of collecting album tracks (in various terrible bitrates) over a period of months and compiling them together. I don't think I ever truly completed the Merveilles album that way though, because I couldn't find the intro SE track, haha.

I started listening to Japanese music some time in 2000 (maybe even 1999), but I didn't really start listening to Jrock until 2003. I am sure I listened to the odd VK song here and there before, but I really started to get in to VK when I stumbled across a certain website. I so wish I could remember the name of it. The person running it had short profiles of several of his/her favorite bands and then a list of their top favorite songs by each artist. They had a download link for the top song every artist, so my first VK songs were the likes of Dir en Grey's Cage, hide's dice, X Japan's Silent Jealousy, Penicillin's Chaos, Gackt's Vanilla, Glay's Two Bell Silence, Luna Sea's Rosier, and Malice Mizer's Syunikiss. For the sake of not over estimating, I put myself down for 2004.

In time regards my memory is really not great. I don't remember the exact year but it was less than a year after I obtained my first PC so about 2002-2003? It was when Kazaa was a thing, and MSN was still an ISP and had Chatrooms and Groups. And there were fake files abound.

Basically when I first got a computer I learned about chatrooms and it spun from there into creating characters and all this stuff that somehow this lead to finding a group called Glam Japan (which is now over at Facebook). I remember seeing Dir en grey and wondering what the hell it was, since I had seen nothing like it before. It spun from there. (This is a really condensed version because I don't remember a whole lot about that time period.)

That's where it began. From random image searching for characters, probably.

I started listening to Japanese music some time in 2000 (maybe even 1999), but I didn't really start listening to Jrock until 2003. I am sure I listened to the odd VK song here and there before, but I really started to get in to VK when I stumbled across a certain website. I so wish I could remember the name of it. The person running it had short profiles of several of his/her favorite bands and then a list of their top favorite songs by each artist. They had a download link for the top song every artist, so my first VK songs were the likes of Dir en Grey's Cage, hide's dice, X Japan's Silent Jealousy, Penicillin's Chaos, Gackt's Vanilla, Glay's Two Bell Silence, Luna Sea's Rosier, and Malice Mizer's Syunikiss. For the sake of not over estimating, I put myself down for 2004.

Do you mean Project J? I don't think it's still around anymore, but that was the site that got me into almost all of my favourite bands when I first started listening to Japanese music.

In addition to the bands you listed they had a lot of profiles for non-VK artists like Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, Judy and Mary, the pillows, The Back Horn, etc. Lots of really good stuff. 

2006 or atleast that's from when I "count" as being a fan of VK. Was exposed to it a bit earlier though (a year or so).  At that time I mainly listened to Dir en grey, X Japan and LUNA SEA though. 

edit: just out of curiosity, you guys who started listening to vk in 1999-2003. how old are you? :0

2008 for me. Found Versailles on the cover of Purple Sky at the mall and got into it from there. I liked Japanese rock before then, but I didn't know what Visual-kei was or knew any bands from that scene (granted, I listened to TMR, Gackt, and Laruku which are all ex-vkei but I didn't know that until much much later).

Wow~ : o

I'm actually a little surprised about this chart. Always felt pretty old but at least 1/4 have been in it even longer.

I found japanese music around 2005, when I was visiting my cousin's place, and I remember her playing ELLEGARDEN's Funny Bunny in Foobar. I guess I liked it right away. Along ELLEGARDEN came MUCC and the rest is history...

Do you mean Project J? I don't think it's still around anymore, but that was the site that got me into almost all of my favourite bands when I first started listening to Japanese music.

In addition to the bands you listed they had a lot of profiles for non-VK artists like Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, Judy and Mary, the pillows, The Back Horn, etc. Lots of really good stuff. 

Exactly the site I was talking about! I can honestly thank them for getting me in to a lot of the artists that I enjoy

lfF486s.jpg

(laughs) I really don't know, maybe as much as I'm aware of the existance of Animes, Super Sentais, Ultraman, and so fort. I just know what they basically or specifically called when I'm introduced to world of internet. I'm around 4 to 6 years old then. So it was 1996 to 1998 ?

I started with Malice Mizer in 2003 and I still listen to vk on a regular basis :)

Someone introduced me to X JAPAN on 2004. I was already interested in Japanese music because of games and stuff, looked for bands from there and stayed.

Hmm... probably in 1998 or 1999 but without knowing about Visual Kei at all. A friend of mine borrowed another guy a cassette with japanese bands. X Japan in it. Then he lent it to me.

But I would say 2003 was the year I was indirectly introduced to this type of bands. There was a radio programme in my country in those days and they played japanese music ranging from anime OST to Visual Kei.