CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #12: What year did you start listening to VK?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #12  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What year did you start listening to VK?

• 1996 or before-

This thread makes me feel old D: My first exposure to VK was seeing hide's pink spider on T.V when I was 9, but I didn't actually start listening to VK until I was a Freshman in high school when my friend showed me Panic Channel and I became obsessed D:

My first VK band was rentrer en soi, with their "wither" single. Wither came out in late 2004, but I don't recall when I actually downloaded it, so I went with 2005 to be on the safe side. My stint with VK didn't last too long, as I mostly drifted away from it in mid/late 06.

2003 - accidentally found a Malice Mizer video when looking for a Gackt (someone had recommended I listen to him on GameFAQs after I mentioned how much I loved Ayumi Hamasaki) vid. Bless the days of Kazaa / WINMX. It was Beast of Blood. My taste in music never had a chance.

2006. I was posting on a glam metal forum and someone had started a thread about VK with a bunch of pictures and videos from some of the more popular bands. I was instantly drawn in by X Japan and L'Arc~en~Ciel.

Edited by violetchain

Voted for 2001 because it was the year I actually started listening to VK and J-Rock though I was introduced to Japanese music several years earlier. P:

I remember my first song, I was 18 (2005) and it was a D'espairsRay song -surely from Coll:set, maybe it was in vain- on a cowblog (8D) and I liked it. I remember the owner of this blog claiming on who wanted to hear 'THE VISUAL KEI WILL RULE THE WORLD' and I was like mmmh nope calm yo tits gurl u_u

I went back later on the vk wagon I don't know exactly how nor when (2006 or 2007), but it was really in this moment that I started listening VK. So I voted 2007.

2004 here! Accidentally clicked on some link that took me to the J-rock subpage of a now-defunct goth/industrial community. I was into anime at that time, so naturally I was like "ooh Japanese rawk music, what the hell is dat?" and downloaded all the PVs I could find there. Atsushi Sakurai, Dir en grey, Baiser, Noir fleurir, Kagerou and Malice Mizer were my firsts, among others.

:lolita_sad:

What should I do. . . 

I just began intensely listening to vk music since past few months.

Before that, I might listen to some vk songs when those became the anime theme song, or when my favorite musician took a part of them, but I didn’t really know whether those were vk songs or not

It was early 2008 and I found pictures of quite puzzling guys on a friend's gallery, I asked who they were and some songs to listen to; next day I was looping Chizuru like crazy and starting to get into the GazettE. Through a forum about them I got to know some more bands but I basically started out with them, not the most original story but that's how it was c:

I think about 2007, it was not long after FFVII Dirge of Cerberus came out. I happened to be sat next to a person in one of my classes (who is now one of my best friends) who noticed me doodling Kingdom Hearts characters in the back of my book. She was also a fan and we got talking, and it was either before or after that that I expressed or discovered my love for Gackt's song REDEMPTION that was the theme of Dirge. She told me about other artists including her favourite Miyavi, and from then on I slowly expanded into the realm of VK. Now it accounts for at least 75% of the music I listen to on a regular basis.

Looking at my iTunes purchase history to find out. It looks like I was first into J-pop in 2012, but later, in the same year, I also started listening to Oshare Kei, bands such as LM.C and An Cafe. I'd say it all started in 2012. (joins the party last x'D)

I think it was around 2008, when I watched Death Note and came across Nightmare which did the first OST to that series. I think it took a bit long though until I started looking for other bands of VK specifically.

Right before the turn of the century! I was first introduced to visual kei with Dir en grey's Cage. I didn't get ~really~ into it until a few years later. I don't remember when I came back but I credit Gauze as the reason I became interested again so I stick with my answer of 1999.

I'm with Zeus, got into it around '99. I heard Loudness a couple of years prior because some of the resident metalheads at the record store I worked at went crazy when some came in. However, they aren't vk anyway so that doesn't count. But I think learning about them made me open minded about listening to visual kei when a friend gave me that CD of Dir en grey, X Japan, and Malice Mizer down the road.

:lolita_sad:

What should I do. . . 

I just began intensely listening to vk music since past few months.

Before that, I might listen to some vk songs when those became the anime theme song, or when my favorite musician took a part of them, but I didn’t really know whether those were vk songs or not

Hey, don't feel bad. I think it's great people are still getting into it every day! New listeners keep the scene from dying out so you are very important.

1999. I randomly found 304 Gisugrjitihejeiej (that one Dir end grey song) on Napster while searching for Jpop. Discovered it was Jrock and went from there.

Late 2001 - one of my cousins brought Ayu's Dearest, Dir's Jessica and some VHS tapes off Dir's performances, PVs and whatnot as souvenirs from Japan + he taught me how to "hunt" for J-stuff (albeit me being a kiddio back then)

Late 2002. Anime songs and friends led me to discover some MALICE MIZER, X JAPAN and Gackt stuff. I used to get my music from Kazaa and WinMX as well, but then everything changed with Soulseek. Geez, it's been too long.

2010 or so, I honestly don't remember. Megaromania was my first band, and Angelical Jewelry was my first song. Didn't like them at first, but later I got used to Sui's vocals, for they were odd and unique, so I stuck with them, and it escalated from there.