CAT5

The "Please Explain the Hype" Thread

As music fans, we all have that one band - that one band that we can't seem to get into, but everyone else seems to completely adore. The purpose of this thread is to find out exactly why other people enjoy those bands that escape our interest - to get to the bottom of all of the hype.

Now this thread SHOULD NOT be used as a vehicle to bash or "throw shade" at bands or other music fans (although plz be honest by all means). This thread is for respectul music fans that are genuinely curious about discovering why certain bands are so popular or so well liked.

So if you'd like someone to explain the hype surrounding a certain band, then feel free to ask here! And if you can offer a legit reason or a sound theory as to why you think the bands mentioned in this thread are so hyped, then by all means, go for it!

Hopefully everyone will be able to walk away from this topic a bit more enlightened. ; )

Now firstly....I'D LIKE TO ADDRESS MEJIBRAY. What's the deal with these dudes? Their appeal and popularity is a bit lost on me, so would someone please explain the hype?

I've checked out a few songs that Mejibray have put out and I can say that they're enjoyable but to an extent. The extent being that after a few listens, I get bored and delete the songs. Musically, they're pretty much yet another metalcore band that can add pretty catchy/grabbing backing tracks to their songs. I find no real substance in their songs like I do for other bands. I also remember a lot of the main thing that attracted people (mainly the girls) to the band was the fact their lead singer is reminiscent to Ruki. 

I am not part of the fangirl fandom but they are just enjoyable to listen to. Reminds me of a harder sounding Linkin Park with the screaming and vk singing. The members themselves are quite unique on their own and have a somewhat defined "character". Their characters mesh well for a varied yet good looking visual. The music is just the fun type *shrugs*

Brutal honesty... I like MEJIBRAY because they remind me of old Dir en grey and Gazette and I feel like their visual concept at least has a clear theme, and not as generic as some other bands. Their music still has a ways to go before I'd recommend them as some life changing band everyone should listen to, but I do think they are getting better with time and seeing them grow keeps me interested as well.

A band(?) I see hyped a lot is Especia. Many fans of their music are idol group fans and also fans of vaporwave. I was interested in their music because I like vaporwave, but I was disappointed when I found out they were just an idol group with a gimmick (like BiS or something). Though for me, that's not a bad thing since I also like idol music. Anyway, I think the reason why they're hyped is their good production as well as retro-inspired music videos. Am I missing something else?

First come in my mind: BABYMETAL. OK I tried listen to them and nothing make me impressed. But why metal fans like them, and many metal musician promote them? I think they are just an Idol, with standard idol-type vocal and mixed with metal music. I didn't see the two different thing (metal and idol) fit.

Your opinion?

MEJIBRAY is my favorite band, but I also don't understand that hype... I'm one of the older fans of them. They caught my interest, because Tsuzuku has the same birthday as me, then I waited for them to release some music, so I became a fan. They weren't known at that time and I had to send their music to people. It made me happy when they liked it ^^. At some point, the band suddenly became popular and I don't understand why... maybe because of their fanservice stuff? But there are bands that do more, so I have no idea. I hate most of these new fans, because they mostly drool at their appearance and I think they lost their brains on their way... dumb fangirls.

@DeithX252: Babymetal is so much crap XD. I listened to that once and never again. I don't get the hype either, they're like blasphemy to heavier music.

I hate most of these new fans, because they mostly drool at their appearance and I think they lost their brains on their way... dumb fangirls.

lol, how does that make them "dumb fangirls"? if you like them for the music, good for you, people can always like them for other reasons. imo there isn't a universally "correct" way to like a band. ironically if it weren't for these so-called "dumb fangirls" who pay to attend events and buy merchandise, MEJIBRAY prolly won't be around anymore today to make music for the armchair connoisseurs.

as for BABYMETAL, i personally don't know of anyone who exclusively listens to heavy music liking their sound. in other words it seems to me that they're more like a novel variant of idol pop that's "based" on metal if that makes any sense. i can't really get into their sound tbh, but i guess i can see why others may find this combination refreshing/interesting. since there are enough BABYMETAL fans on MH i'll leave it to them to explain what the hype is all about XD

First come in my mind: BABYMETAL. OK I tried listen to them and nothing make me impressed. But why metal fans like them, and many metal musician promote them? I think they are just an Idol, with standard idol-type vocal and mixed with metal music. I didn't see the two different thing (metal and idol) fit.

Your opinion?

I think, especially lately, a lot of the new metal acts sound the same. And Babymetal sounds unique. They are young, cute, and spreading heavy metal to an entirely new audience, and that's why the metal community is promoting them because it only helps spread the love of metal to people who would not normally listen to it. I think Su-metal has a nice voice, and has songs where she is beyond typical idol vocals, though there are a lot of songs she's not doing anything special and I will grant you that, if you haven't listened to the entire album then you wouldn't know. I think the styles merge in a way that is refreshing and the metal music behind them is also good and heavy. If it had a typical metal singer over it I think a lot of people would look at this band differently but because it's got little girls singing things like "doki doki morning~" over it they write it off in haste.

MEJIBRAY is my favorite band, but I also don't understand that hype... I'm one of the older fans of them. They caught my interest, because Tsuzuku has the same birthday as me, then I waited for them to release some music, so I became a fan. They weren't known at that time and I had to send their music to people. It made me happy when they liked it ^^. At some point, the band suddenly became popular and I don't understand why... maybe because of their fanservice stuff? But there are bands that do more, so I have no idea. I hate most of these new fans, because they mostly drool at their appearance and I think they lost their brains on their way... dumb fangirls.

@DeithX252: Babymetal is so much crap XD. I listened to that once and never again. I don't get the hype either, they're like blasphemy to heavier music.

MEJIBRAY has a decent following from the beginning because VanessA had been somewhat established and a Genki/Tsuzuku already had an army of fangirls, from what I remember. 

I think, especially lately, a lot of the new metal acts sound the same. And Babymetal sounds unique. They are young, cute, and spreading heavy metal to an entirely new audience, and that's why the metal community is promoting them because it only helps spread the love of metal to people who would not normally listen to it. I think Su-metal has a nice voice, and has songs where she is beyond typical idol vocals, though there are a lot of songs she's not doing anything special and I will grant you that, if you haven't listened to the entire album then you wouldn't know. I think the styles merge in a way that is refreshing and the metal music behind them is also good and heavy. If it had a typical metal singer over it I think a lot of people would look at this band differently but because it's got little girls singing things like "doki doki morning~" over it they write it off in haste.

I have listened to entire album, and only few songs that I like (yeah because Yuyoyuppe compose these few songs, I am a big fan of him).

Compared to doujin music that have similar mix (heavy and kawai), they are much better IMO lol

why is dir en grey so hype? 

I think Dir en Grey is hyped because they are the starting point of influence for most VK bands today. No one really looks to the original starting bands anymore (X Japan, Buck Tick, etc).

Dir en grey are prolly so popular/hyped 'cuz they were at the head of the whole nu-metal/metalcore-inspired wave of VK which started somewhere in the 2000's, just like jduv86 said. Many bands have since copied their style and they were also one of the first visual-related bands to achieve some form of overseas success as far as I remember.

As for Babymetal, I genuinely have no idea. I feel like at least some portion of their fanbase is only there ~ironically~ or whatever, like with artists such as Lil B. They certainly have that whole novelty factor thing going with their metal/idol pop mix, at least.

I personally never understood the whole hype surrounding bands like FACT or ONE OK ROCK. I like one or two songs by each band, but I genuinely don't see what sets them apart from any other acts in the current post-hardcore scene...

So that counts for dir en grey's  today music too?

lol, how does that make them "dumb fangirls"? if you like them for the music, good for you, people can always like them for other reasons. imo there isn't a universally "correct" way to like a band. ironically if it weren't for these so-called "dumb fangirls" who pay to attend events and buy merchandise, MEJIBRAY prolly won't be around anymore today to make music for the armchair connoisseurs.

They're really dumb and extremely annoying. You aren't a part of the fanbase, so how can you know? Also, I know any extra money is good for the band, but it doesn't mean I have to tolerate such annoying people. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, Capitain Obvious.

MEJIBRAY has a decent following from the beginning because VanessA had been somewhat established and a Genki/Tsuzuku already had an army of fangirls, from what I remember. 

I think you're talking about Japanese fans, because I totally can't compare it to the foreign fanbase. I met just a few VanessA fans and no fangirls at all.

Speaking for MEJIBRAY, In my case, I was first interested by their formation because of the ex-VanessA members -- I remembered they used to have some cool songs back in the day before they went to shit. Then the first single of MEJIBRAY was released and I was really impressed especially by the sound quality and kickass guitarplay (coupled with interesting and/or memorable hooks & songs). It was basically a much more mature sound than what I had expected. I followed them from there, and even though some of their latter songs are lacking, they still manage to sprinkle stuff in there to make it worthwhile and catchy. The band members are very distinct in personality and style too, so I think that might be a lasting factor for some too.

As for Dir en grey, I guess it's one of those "gateway bands" most listeners get to know while they start out listening to J-rock. So accordingly they get mentioned a lot (and of course were/are influential to the whole scene as well).

I find MEJIBRAY's early releases to be stunningly performed. With entries such as KILLING ME, Slivers.exe and カルマ-瓦礫のマンティコーラース-, I was surprisingly pleased as I cannot quite ever get into a more deathcore-type of approach when it comes to Visual Kei artists; there's usually little substantial quality when visual Japanese groups find it in their tendencies to sound more Western. I'm rather disappointed by their later releases, however. RAVEN in itself, I find terrible, and I cannot quite understand how the song is so very hyped among listeners whereas I have no clue how the band has even managed to put it together. 

A band I personally do not understand the hype for is Royz. They sound just like any other bland group of young boys forming a band just because they happen to have an image.

How does someone seriously, seriously wonder why Dir en grey is hyped to high heaven and back without being "hurr i dun liek dem so why others do"? Essential visual kei albums from Gauze to Kisou, more or less pioneered the assimilation of contemporary western trends to vk in the 2000's, broke through in foreign markets and one of the most influential bands in vk today. They stay relevant and topical because they haven't stopped tinkering with their sound thus far, and there's always an aura of mystery on what comes next to keep even the non-fans excited. It's pretty rare for a popular music™ band over 15 years old to not become a complete parody of themselves, not to mention stay relevant. It would also require some incredible mental gymnastics to deny the quality of their first two albums if you're a vk fan and the type of metal they play at the moment is very in vogue, ergo hype and relevance. 

I like Babymetal for the novelty factor, yes. I don't listen to "regular" metal at all, but they amused me when I first heard them, and I've got a soft spot for weird/amusing stuff. I won't become their greatest fan, but they stand out (in a genre I personally find monotonous; just doesn't reach me), and that's got its own value.

What is the hype over DIV? They have some great songs here and there (Justice, Hyouryuu Kanojo) but overall the singing stays safe and a lot of their songs are standard VK songs IMO (Seasons, You, Taste of Life, Point of View).

And what is the hype for Kiryu? A lot of their music sounds the same to me and their singers voice is kind of annoying at times.

... they're like blasphemy to heavier music.

regarding BABYMETAL

besides the main "something new and fresh" i think this is basicly the point. lots of metal-fans are quite a fan of blasphemy and pretty annoyed by the whole religiousness that surround everything metal, so when something as honest and unapologeticly manufactured as this comes around and prooves that this can be pretty kickass too it is quite a pleasant surprise. all that honesty has quite some charme to it (and it probably helps that i sort of like the music too. wouldn't listen to it too much, but i can see that it really is quite creative and well done...)

yes i would perhaps classify as some sort of metalhead, "heavy" music is at least the largest portion of my library.

What is the hype over DIV? They have some great songs here and there (Justice, Hyouryuu Kanojo) but overall the singing stays safe and a lot of their songs are standard VK songs IMO (Seasons, You, Taste of Life, Point of View).

And what is the hype for Kiryu? A lot of their music sounds the same to me and their singers voice is kind of annoying at times.

My take on DIV, didnt really want to post but I like them, so:

Defined signature sound, unique approach to electronic infused rock music, relevant themes in songs, one of the best lyricists, amazing clear voice with unique deepness, defined and fun guitar, defined personalities, great production quality, high release rate, well managed and the fanbase always knows what is going on. Etc...

I would say, along with others I know, that Zero One was one of the best albums of last year as well.

I guess it helps that Chisa is over with the fan girls as well...

I second this. I've never gotten the hype over Kiryu. Can someone explain this? I was so surprised to see a preview of a live DVD of theirs and to see so many fans in the audience. 

How does someone seriously, seriously wonder why Dir en grey is hyped to high heaven and back without being "hurr i dun liek dem so why others do"? Essential visual kei albums from Gauze to Kisou, more or less pioneered the assimilation of contemporary western trends to vk in the 2000's, broke through in foreign markets and one of the most influential bands in vk today. They stay relevant and topical because they haven't stopped tinkering with their sound thus far, and there's always an aura of mystery on what comes next to keep even the non-fans excited. It's pretty rare for a popular music™ band over 15 years old to not become a complete parody of themselves, not to mention stay relevant. It would also require some incredible mental gymnastics to deny the quality of their first two albums if you're a vk fan and the type of metal they play at the moment is very in vogue, ergo hype and relevance. 

its not that i  don't like them, they seem normal to me. Then there is sadie and grieva which alot of people say are their clones. and since this is a non bash topic i'll end here.......

Oh yeah whats up with the hype over versailles and kamijo? never got that. and if D/asagi is still hype whats up with em too?