Maiku

What are you reading?

Started Nadja because of that, To-To, but I never finished Nadja. The most interesting part of it was the lucid intertextuality.

Phillip Larkin and his Contemporaries

Principles of Art

Literature in Ireland

I would like to understand the return to Romanticism that occurred in England, as well as understand what exactly magic craft is, and understand the history of literature in the Irish language.

Edited by Azaeroe

Witchcraft isn't so much the objective fashioning of a reaction, as it is the inspired organisation of symbols for some mystic, indefinable, end. Rather than being subordinate to the artist, art is subordinate to the magian, and his occult quest.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:52 AM, Azaeroe said:

Phillip Larkin and his Contemporaries

I think I actually have this lying around somewhere. I have something by him, anyways. Pretty sure it's this. IIRC, it has my favourite poem in it (I'm not normally too big on poetry, but I can make exceptions).

DytVcJb.jpg

"Frihetens pris är okänt: Om demokratiska revolutioner i Georgien, Ukraina och Kirgizistan" by Anna-Lena Laurén.

I'm trying to start reading more stuff in Swedish again, my skills have gotten a bit rusty.

I've been slowly making my way through Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay. I saw the movie version a long time ago, and came across this book one day with a discount price, so I was like 'why not'. There's a lot more stuff happening in the book than what I remember from the movie and it's interesting enough... the slow trudging through it has to do more with me and my short attention span for novels these days, lol.

I'm also getting back more into comic books lately, feels really cool and refreshing to catch up on some stuff I've missed. Thankfully there seems to be somewhat of a small 'boom' here in Hungary with random collected edition comics so right now I'm just jumping from volume to volume, whatever I can get my hands on that seems good:

- I've just finished volume 6 of Jodorowsky's & Moebius' The Incal (I've been buying this series steadily since they first announced it), it was a very creative, profound but also funny space opera. I'm curious to see whether they'll continue with releasing the prequel story in Hungarian too.

- Finished up the 4th collection/trade paperback volume of Mike Mignola's Hellboy. This guy just cannot disappoint me, gotta love the dark lore and fantastic art style (this edition also contains a story illustrated by Gary Gianni, different but still cool visuals).

- Began reading Alan Moore's and Eddie Campbell's massive From Hell, so far so good. It took a while for me to get used to the dark and sketch-like art style but I realized that it fits the mysterious and grim atmosphere of the story perfectly. I'm still at the first few chapters, can't wait for the rest.

Edited by Jigsaw9

Finished Out by Natsuo Kirino. Liked it way less compared to Grotesque. The book kinda went downhill towards the end.

Now onto Lord of the Flies^^ 

Read Irresistible : the rise of addictive technology and the business of keeping us hooked. by Adam Alter, and hope to move on to Homo ludens; a study of the play-element in culture. by Johan Huizinga in anticipation of Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding.

Just bought a ton of Spawn: Origins and Hellspawn collected hardcover comic books these past few weeks, brb reliving my teenage years. ♥

Edited by Jigsaw9

I'm struggling with Junji Ito's Uzumaki. I really need to read it, but I can't find the motivation and it's absolutely gigantic; I mean 3 volumes in book form, but it feel like a huge book.

34 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

I'm struggling with Junji Ito's Uzumaki. I really need to read it, but I can't find the motivation and it's absolutely gigantic; I mean 3 volumes in book form, but it feel like a huge book.

But it's so good! :o Maybe try some of his shorter works first and build up? ^^

Frankenstein was a snoozefest. I somewhat get the message of the book but if you can't drawn me in with your book, I will just go find a book with the same message that I might find more interesting. Finished this book mostly because I wanted to see what Frankenstein is originally like. The movie that popularized it really changed everything Lol.

I'm now reading Stephen King's Thinner, in a mission to read all the books I have collecting dust on my shelf. Listening to the audiobook of Sadie by Courtney Summers.

'The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales' by Mark Samuels, it falls pretty much in that same niche of weird horror that authors like Jon Padgett, Laird Barron and their ilk fall into. The highlight of the collection for me was probably the story about the Mexican town with its weird folk tradition. Most of the stories are  definitely good, and I'd recommend it to people who are into this particular brand of weird horror fiction, though at the same time I do have to say that if you've read more stuff falling within this particular sector of horror you won't find anything TRULY surprising here, it's mostly just about the sort of stuff you'd expect at this point. Biggest point of criticism I can give is that it went a bit TOO much into the  'enlightened redditor' / 'pissed off boomer dad' dimension with the ''DUDE did u know modern society totally sucks & people worship the media even though celebrities are all vapid & shit'' stuff in a few of the later stories in the collection

Books on hold:

Ray Bradbury

The Illustrated Man

Fahrenheit 451

The Martian Chronicles

Kobo Abe

The Boxman

Ryu Murakami

Coin locker babies

Yukio Mishima

The temple of the golden pavilion

Acts of worship : seven stories

Posthumously published under Christopher Hitchens name.

The four horsemen : the conversation that sparked an atheist revolution / Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Dennett ; foreword by Stephen Fry.

Currently slowly getting through a Hungarian book on posthumanism. Shit's pretty wild, man.

Also started (a Hungarian edition of) Karin Tidbeck's collection of short stories "Jagannath". So far so good. Also, shit's pretty wild, man. [2]