enyx

sukekiyo

what is you guys‘ opinion about the two new demo tracks on the cassette distributed during their ongoing tour? 

both suck, if you ask me.  and valentina goes in the vein of Dorothy, which as track by itself I (learned to?) like back then, but why another xties party track? urgh. Their musical change feels definite and makes me depressed.  

Valentina sounds like it could be really good, but I unabashedly love Dorothy and will not be mad about more songs like it. Sesshoku is lol, gave me a similar feeling to the opening and closing tracks of Infinitum - which imo are their worst songs by a pretty large margin.

Expecting something closer to Infinitum than anything else they've done. I've grown to like Infinitum a fair bit since it dropped - though I'm not sure it's the best direction to commit to, given everything they did leading up to it. We'll see though, it seems like they're basically in "wild card" mode.

I love it. It almost makes me feel like I'm listening to real adult music that i'm not ashamed to tell people i like™ 

Infinitum grew on me as well. I think my first reaction was totally enamored, first of all because it's vk in the 2010's that actually shows some ambition to be more than just japanese nu metal or indie too rigid to actually be indie, but then I started thinking that well it isn't exactly ADORATIO; now almost an year later I'm able to accept it for what it is. ADORATIO is an impossible act to follow and that's just how it is. These are the most talented players in this particular game and with their music they almost manage to compensate for an entire genre that resists experimentation or unconformity literally until it has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the new decades. 

Valentina already sounds super nice just based on that tiny snippet alone. The other one still hasn't fully grown on me but I like the second half. I'm extremely biased though cuz I just really appreciate what this band is doing with how they're finally trying to bring something unique to this dried up corpse of a scene.

Considering how Kyo said in a recent interview that he's been getting into 'cheap' 80s pop music lately I feel like we can expect some more Dorothys to appear eventually.

You know I believe 接触 is actually something that was made more to instill a nostalgic feeling of hearing a music cassette tape that has deteriorated over time, at least that is the feeling I get from the annoing backgroung noise of the first part, in that sense I believe sukekiyo is really going even more in the direction of targeting a very specific group of listeners with each new release, in this case, gen x (casette tape was a thing popular from 68's until the 90's).

In other words this is a new genre the X-kei, yes that is right kyo is laying the foundations for when the new X japan album drops sometime in this generation.

Man so like a month or two ago, a few copies of DEG's World of Mercy LP showed up on NeoTokyo, and they sold out while I was trying to get their credit card service to load. I've been collecting records for a few years and DEG records are sparse, so I was kind of severely depressed for a few hours, days, whatever.

Anyhow, I saw Liquefacio pop up on there a few days ago and really warred with myself about dropping $100+ dollars on a concert blu-ray, but I just did and it looks like I got the last copy in their stock. This was probably an awful decision, but I've loved their previous DVDs so I'm really stoked to get it! (Also the money was worth it alone to vindicate my aforementioned NeoTokyo heartbreak) Did anyone else order it? What little I'm able to find on Japanese social media makes it sound very AESTHETIC.

It'll probably pop up on VK before I even get it but w/e

Edited by Insomniac Dozer

Both those songs/snippets are a two pack of ass, dawg.

I don't get what y'all are hearing or my tastes arent as refined. 

Its the same issue I've had with them as of late...whatever they're trying to do ends up making my head hurt. 

Edited by Ro plz

27 minutes ago, Ro plz said:

Both those songs/snippets are a two pack of ass, dawg.

I don't get what y'all are hearing or my tastes arent as refined. 

Its the same issue I've had with them as of late...whatever they're trying to do ends up making my head hurt. 

Sesshoku is literally unlistenable, I'll agree with that. Valentina is only 30sec long, what a tease.

26 minutes ago, EvilHippy said:

Sesshoku gives me some spacewave vibes during the second half... And again, no real drums?

As far as I know, Mika has been using a lot of cool pads, to fill out his already based drum kit.

I expect Liquefacio to further give us the deets on how some of these songs are fleshed out. 

If the quality wasn't rendered into complete shit I like it...just sounds something like a NIN song. But that simulated popping is the worst fucking thing it irritates my tinnitus and I can only imagine how awful it'd sound when played through anything with a built in EQ...Kyo drowning at the bottom of the ocean ft drum synth.

If everything is made to sound that shitty purposefully then there's no way I'll be able to enjoy the rest of it, even if without the Silent Hill radio static I'd definitely be more interested than I was with Infinitum.

Edited by karai · ebi

Just a reminder: It's highly likely that the popping sound in the first half isn't intentional... is what I want to say, but knowing sukekiyo, it might as well be.

The popping sound is probably intentional, but I get the feeling it's just some ridiculous thing they did for the single. I'm pretty sure the original analog single version of The Daemon's Cutlery had some really wonky production as well.

I'm hedging my bets somewhere between "will sound clearer on the album" and "won't even be on the album."

On 3/4/2020 at 9:59 PM, Insomniac Dozer said:

The popping sound is probably intentional, but I get the feeling it's just some ridiculous thing they did for the single.

Definitely intentionally made to sound bad. Some pretentious artsy concept shit, I'm sure.

Remember the embryo remix off that single? Sounded like it was recorded from a gramophone using 1930s audio tech.

19 minutes ago, EvilHippy said:

Based on that Koumu part, Mika plays double bass pretty well.
...Maybe swap Shinya with him?

Mika had some rockin’ double bass parts when he was in Rentrer en Soi, I just never heard them clearly until I heard live performances. 

His feel is totally different than Shinya’s though. I’m not sure it would work. 

On 3/6/2020 at 1:52 PM, Seelentau said:

Sooo thoughtful of them, I'm amazed :3

It is actually very japanese. making up for mistakes/circumstances they cannot control / they are not responsible for.  well, then.

I really liked the liquefacio snippets, the other ones I skipped, because not so enjoybable for me. thanks for the video.