enyx

sukekiyo

23kfaew.jpg

Vo. (DIR EN GREY)

Gt. (ex. Rentrer en Soi)

Gt. UTA (ex. 9GOATS BLACK OUT)

Gt. YUCHI (kannivalism)

Dr. 未架 (ex. Rentrer en Soi)

sukekiyo’s formation, debut album, and recent live shows have all generated a lot of discussion lately. As such, I thought it would make sense to finally give the band its own thread here in the artists forum, rather than having discussions split across the IMMORTALIS news thread, IMMORTALIS review thread, and Dir en grey artist thread. Obviously new announcements and reviews of releases should still be done in their respective forums, but all of the other stuff can go here instead of derailing those threads.

Some questions and points of discussion to get the ball rolling

• How do you feel about sukekiyo as a whole? Are you a fan of the band? Do you think it’s being overhyped? 
  • What do you think of their recent live performances having a specific dress code? Does it suit the atmosphere of their music more or does it turn you off?
  • Are the comparisons between sukekiyo and DIR EN GREY inevitable or justified? Do you think the desire to compare the two will die down once the novelty of  being one of the members wears off?
  • To what extent do you consider sukekiyo to be ’s ‘solo project’? Is it fair to use such a term when it appears that the other members also seem to have considerable influence on the band's music?
  • What would you like to see from the band in the future? Do you expect it to be a full time project? 

• As a long-time fan of DEG (and basically everything DEG-related - even during their "shittiest" times), I have to admit that yes - I have a bias towards them, especially due to involvement of certain, favorite vk members of mine (eg. Uta, Yuchi...and Kyo ofc). Thus when it comes to "overhype" from my perspective, I have to say that they are not necessarily THAT MUCH hyped - the hell, there are many folks in DEG fanbase, who don't really *feel* the musical concept of sukekiyo too (either "too avant-garde" or "very inconsistent and not metal enough" (DSS fanboys/girls)). So you might call it "60/40" thing for now - yes, there is more hype than opposition in this band's case, but not necessarily "overhype".

I don't really care about them being "strict" with specific dress codes - I mean hey, I wasn't ON THE SPOT (and probably most of you, MH, weren't there either) - I have no rights to say whether it feels "unfitting" for the atmosphere or not. But if we were trying to have a say about "atmosphere", I think it *kinda* suits the theme of venue(s).

DEG comparisons are totally unavoidable, as I mentioned in my IMMORTALIS review - to answer the "if Kyo's novelty as one of the members died off"-question, I would have to sum up my review: as I see, and hear it now - sukekiyo is pretty much Kyo's outlet for his ideas, that were swapped out of DEG's songwriting processes (assuming that Kaoru *still* takes the "grand" position in their songwriting, and thus minimizing the efforts of other members during composition phase, my theory btw). So yeah, all in all - if most of Kyo's future efforts happened to have less "would've been kinda okay in DEG repertoire" vibes, then we could go along with "novelty finally dying"-assumption.

The subtitle "solo project" in many reviews, comments, statements etc. is solely based  on his ongoing "DEG novelty" - so it's kinda natural for various "DEG stans" to ignore his "new" colleagues, and thus, assuming that it's all "him" basically. By spinning the record for days, or probably even weeks - and reading their interviews (I recommend their Barks interview - has many interesting points about their songwriting), I could actually HEAR how important are Uta and Takumi for the project - the hell, the first time I spinned the record, it was the instrumental performance that struck me first. Kyo of course tries to be "omniscient" with his wails, growls and even howls too (Nine melted fiction, still judging you), but that didn't distract me from quite "UN-deggy" performance in the background (if we were to measure it in percents, DEG would have like only 11-14% out of band's total effort, and that too due to Kyo's possible "unused ideas")

I have a small tinge that Kyo might keep this project in a "hiatus" for a long time - now that we'll have "possibly" DEG on a roll again with their November release, and Yuchi has other session acts to attend. I don't want them to end up as being "second XA-VAT" lifespan-wise, so yeah - hoping for interesting efforts in the future -  like any ordinary listener!

The formation of this band is something very exciting for me. To have members of these different iconic bands come together and write music is a dream come true.

And, with IMMORTALIS, I think the "hype" lives up. Musically I get the different flavors of each band and they really create an atmosphere that's rich and deep.

I would say Dir En Grey is my favorite band (mostly because of "ain't afraid to die") but I would say Sukekiyo is up there with them on my favorite bands list.

I personally don't really compare the two because they're both different ideas. Sukekiyo to me is like an extension of Kyo's solo music now fully realized with the combined efforts of the other members. His solo stuff sounded really different from Dir en Grey's music.

Which begs the question is this his own solo project. I don't think so. Musically it's obvious. Yeah I guess he's the one (maybe) that asked these guys to do this but he isn't the only one doing the work. This is one of those compilation bands in my opinion and isn't fair to address the band as his SOLO project. If so, do it yourself.

The dress code doesn't bother me. If he/they want to generate a certain mood or atmosphere, fine. It does sound a bit annoying though.

I love Sukekiyo. I've been craving something musically like this for a while and, for the time being, I've been satisfied. Looking forward to future releases but at the same time, I wouldn't be sad if this is the last thing they released.

So this is kind of weird but I created an edit of "hemimetabolism" without the loud middle section.  I like the original song but I really like the calm and relaxing mood of the beginning and end and wanted version I could listen to with just those parts. 
It's a simple cut and paste with some fade in and outs to make the transition clean and cuts the song to about 3 minutes.

I was just wondering if anyone wanted the edit or if this was even allowed if I were to upload it.

• How do you feel about sukekiyo as a whole? Are you a fan of the band? Do you think it’s being overhyped? 
  • What do you think of their recent live performances having a specific dress code? Does it suit the atmosphere of their music more or does it turn you off?
  • Are the comparisons between sukekiyo and DIR EN GREY inevitable or justified? Do you think the desire to compare the two will die down once the novelty of  being one of the members wears off?
  • To what extent do you consider sukekiyo to be ’s ‘solo project’? Is it fair to use such a term when it appears that the other members also seem to have considerable influence on the band's music?
  • What would you like to see from the band in the future? Do you expect it to be a full time project?

Sukekiyo has done great so far. I'd consider it to be a likeable band if it continues like that. The hype is always centered around fans who absolutely love this thing, it's the same with Dir en grey or Gazette fans. So I naturally step away from it and leave die-hard fans their opinion.

I haven't seen this live yet, but these dress codes are generally not something I'd take serious. Especially if literally every of the band members has a past in Visual Kei. It's that kind of thing that just comes and goes.

I think the comparisons between Sukekiyo and Dir en grey are neither justified nor inevitable. So far I'm pretty sceptical about the true motives of those who feel like comparing the two bands over and over. Of course Kyo is the face and soul of Dir en grey, but the contributions of the other members bare also some similar recognitions to their old bands. So why is there no comparisons between RES or 9GBO I read, at least not in that intensity? As far as I'm concerned, it has been a matter of countering Dir en grey's hype. It's really just childish.

Of course it is Kyo's solo project. Speaking of Dir en grey's perspective, as this has always been. Solo projects often involve other recognitial musicians, so it's not that kind of a contradiction. It's more of a linguistic issue. Of course the others do have an equal amount of participation, if not more. And speaking from their perspective, it's a solo project for them as well. Matter of fact just is that RES and 9GBO are not really discussed that much in the moment.

I don't think we'd get something more soon. It's going to be pretty sporadic, whenever the members have the time to come together. And it may be better so, because quality usually suffers within mass production.

i have write this in other threads but sure i'll do it again xD .sorry for the ramble xD

1) i thought it was at first overhyped because they were some strange comments and reviews but then it got normal.

2)i like the silence ceremony idea.maybe for personal reasons/taste .but i do think it's difficult  idea for live shows and people won't accept it ,but i would. although i  am afraid it might be a little boring. if they were ballads from deg. i could be still and silent easier.

also i like the dress code. what exactly is the dress code?? i am not sure. but  if they asked to wear something i didn't like , i wouldn't accept. but this i like.

(i mean you could almost expect a majority of kyo's fans to not have a problem with this specific dress code idea....lol.it doesn't seem strange to me) . i want to see/feel the atmosphere.   (you know i have heard the opinion that a lot of people go to  lives and are intense. and the point is  that relieves the tention and anger of everyday lives. so maybe this would have a differnet result in feelings to being calm or mourn for something that i want to see.

3)  i think i am biased too.i mean i could listen almost anything with deg or kyo  maybe.i also like res .i just have found what i like in music.

even though sukekiyo is a little boring for me his voice is a trap to listen.listening to something so familiar that you love.(one of the reasons it's inevitable to compare)

after i got angry "omfg NO deg are better" ."you people stop saying the opposite, i do not want deg to disband" crisis lol. actually compared to others in jrock/vkei area i mostly listen they are not bad.but i wouldn't say the best either.

they are a little boring,. deg is better for me.(definitely in music) (the falsetto is a problem with deg too) i think you can not compare really (although inevitable to compare generally with 9goats and res too/not only deg).

i am under the impression that fans of 9goats would love this more than people who only like deg.might have a problem.

4) i wish i knew. did the other members help him with the music? i think the general idea is they did.but it's not very clear to me in what extent.and if he had the lead

5) i believe artists should do what they feel. if i could choose. i'll probably say to keep both bands. i do not know how he will find time.i prefer deg though so much more.

By the way people, in case you're interested in (original) composers of each IMMORTALIS song, here's the interview in ameblo with per-song analysis

http://ameblo.jp/712031/entry-11847194786.html

so here's the list:

Elisabeth Addict - Takumi (he did the original song 5 years ago, apparently) mostly + Kyo and small input by other members (at least according to Barks.jp)

Destrudo - Takumi (around the same period with "Elisabeth"?)

Latour - UTA

Nine Melted Fiction - UTA

Zephyr - Takumi (obviously)

Hidden one - YUCHI (also, Mozart reference in the solo)

Aftermath - YUCHI

Uyuu no Sora - Takumi

The Daemon's Cutlery - YUCHI

Scars Like Velvet - UTA

Mama - Kyo

Vandal - UTA (obviously)

Hemimetabolism - Takumi and Kyo

Kugui - UTA

Madara Ningen - the whole band as far as I understood?

In All Weathers - Takumi and Kyo

hey thank you i was curious about that.  i keep forgetting to mention yuchi in my texts and kanivalism.

i keep talking about res and hey my fav songs are from uta and not takumi.surprise. from

yuchi(and Mozart xD omg i didn't know that. i mean it's a famous song but i didn't thought of it at 2.30 xD until you wrote it )

and kyo. yay

Great find Perez! I didn't realise that YUCHI had composed some of the tracks, but I'm happy to see that he did. I also didn't think that Kyo's compositional role was as limited as that, I mean it was pretty obvious that UTA & Takumi had the largest compositional influence, but I thought that Kyo would have been involved in more tracks overall. In particular, I thought that he'd have had more of an input on tracks like aftermath and Uyuu no Sora (the latter of which is basically a studio version of an Inward Scream). 

Overall I'm glad to see that this band is really more of a group project rather than being completely dominated by one driving force. I think the album benefits from having 4 different composers all sharing a decent amount of influence, it helps to keep things fresh and interesting throughout. It's a shame that Mika didn't seem to contribute much, though, but there's always that one member that just tends to stick to their own instrumental role. 

Rolling Stone Japan will have a Kyo x Alejandro Jodorowsky interview on 10/6 issue :)

source: 

Kinda interesting cross-interview choice this time

Interesting. I'm going to their gig in London next week so hopefully they'll play it there and I can give some sort of impression of it.

Rolling Stone Japan will have a Kyo x Alejandro Jodorowsky interview on 10/6 issue :)

source: 

Kinda interesting cross-interview choice this time

didn't know about this. that was probably interesting. knowing jodorowsky wanted to cast marilyn manson for king shot once, just wonder what could happen if they became friends

here's a brief description of a new song:

"New song started with melancholic piano melody, and other instruments joined after a while. It’s a quiet song with some stronger guitar parts. If I had to use other songs to describe it I would say mix between enka and Dozing Green minus screaming… so I will better not do that ;) 
It’s not such a short song, but it felt like it ended too soon, when it switched to simple piano melody."

full review of the show at this location:

http://kyotakumrau.tumblr.com/post/97191331407/sukekiyo-at-meguro-rockmaykan

I got the album to add to my Visual Kei FEVER radio station after hearing "Aftermath" and "Mama" and as a whole, I really like it!  I am, admittedly, not super familiar with DEG (random off-note, but "deg" means "you" in Norwegian).  This MUST change, I know I know!  I know some stuff, but I haven't really "jumped in" so to speak, yet.  Same way with me and Nightmare, though honestly Nightmare is off to a much worse start with me because I do not like the SCUMS album, which I randomly bought as an attempt to get to know them better.  I've gotten some recommendations from some of you about which ones to check out though, because the consensus seems to be pretty negative toward SCUMS.

But yeah, I like Sukekiyo!  And for some reason I REALLY like "Aftermath" and find it intriguing they would use that as their first single.  The whole dress-code thing intrigues me as well, being an artist myself.  Pretty ballsy, and pretty cool.

http://sukekiyo-jp.tumblr.com/post/99417081539/mors-est-2-8cm

Live-track single.

Was a limited gift item for those who purchased a 2-day ticket at their Tokyo Garden show.

There will be another for one at the Osaka show.

This one has live recordings of:

-aftermath

-hidden one

-scars like velvet

Personally, not really interested. Live singles/albums just don't do it for me. It's not the same as being there and the studio recording is much better.

Id much rather a live after ive experienced the studio version. However, the vids of the new song showed that its gonna be beast when its finally recorded.

Some halloween gig fun:

tumblr_ndns4wdBWD1s3sleno1_1280.png

tumblr_ndlwbk72yq1t34w41o1_500.jpg

and the setlist for 16.10 show (thx kyotakumrau!)

INTRO instrumental
01. aftermath
02. latour
03. nine melted fiction
04. the daemon’s cutlery
05. new song
06. hidden one
07. zephyr
08. scars like velvet
09. hemimetabolism
10. 烏有の空 / uyuu no sora
11. 304号室、舌と夜 / 304 goushitsu, shita to yoru
12. vandal
13. 斑人間 / madara ningen
14. 鵠 /kugui
15. mama

16. 二人静 / futari shizuka (cover of Nakamori Akina)
17. in all weathers
SE destrudo

I've known about this band for a while but only recently started listening, and I loooove what I've heard so far.

Linked my friend to "aftermath," and it kind of broke her. Her previous familiarity with Japanese music is limited to anime OP/EDs, but she's been looping "aftermath" for hours every day. Hoping this is the start of something beautiful.

:indie_happy:

the band will embark on a tour supporting [vitium].

first batch of tourdates was just announced. four bands will be supporting sukekiyo on those.

二〇一五年公演 「The Unified Field」 -双卵の眼-

2015年1月28日(水) 東京都・赤坂BLITZ - sukekiyo / LM.C
2015年1月30日(金) 愛知県・名古屋Electric Lady Land - sukekiyo / HEAD PHONES PRESIDENT
2015年2月2日(月) 福岡県・スカラエスパシオ - sukekiyo / acid android
2015年2月4日(水) 岡山県・CRAZYMAMA KINGDOM - sukekiyo / THE NOVEMBERS
2015年2月5日(木) 大阪府・梅田CLUB QUATTRO - sukekiyo / THE NOVEMBERS

second batch was announced with the Vitium release announcement. these dates are oneman shows.

sukekiyo 二〇一五年公演 「The Unified Field」

2015年2月9日(月) 東京都・渋谷区総合文化センター大和田 さくらホール
2015年2月10日(火) 東京都・渋谷区総合文化センター大和田 さくらホール
2015年2月16日(月) 京都府・京都劇場
2015年2月17日(火) 京都府・京都劇場

tumblr_ngapn0tq6z1rkm240o1_1280.jpg

Maybe LM.C are also going to turn over a new leaf and go all art rock on our asses, who knows?