CAT5

Sherlock (BBC TV Series)

diplR4V.jpg

So my friend sai has been telling me about this series for quite some time now. I FINALLY decided to check it out this past weekend and it has far EXCEEDED my expectations! I've only watched up to the 4th episode (will finish the 2nd season soon), but I can already say that this is one of the finest TV series I've had the pleasure of watching in a while! Each episode is like a mini movie (given the length, they should be lol). I also have to praise this series for being so classy in it's presentation and execution - the language is mild, there is no unnecessary violence, and it isn't overtly sexual. At any rate, I'm officially a fan now. THANK YOU FOR INTRODUCING ME TO THIS, SAI!

Does anyone else watch this show? If so, what do you think of it? :3

Moriarty is.... an interesting character. ^_^ My boyfriend hates him because of how he was portrayed. "I'll cut out your heeeeaaaart!' I actually really like this depiction of Sherlock and Holmes. <3 Except the ending. I don't like the ending. -_-

no unnecessary violence

PUNCH ME IN THE FACE JOHN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnBezIgA3ys

No but in all seriousness, I like how this show focuses on its main story and classic elements instead of trying to be funny all the time with sexual or language jokes or so. The humour that's portrayed here and there matches the interactions between Sherlock and John and isn't randomly thrown it to give it a forced humorous flavour, it just comes in really natural.

The thing is that many people decide to skip on this show because 16 year old tumblr fangirls seem to be obsessed with it because of Benedict Cumberbatch, but really, put down that initial stereotype and watch this. Both Benedict Cumberbatch as Martin Freeman portray their roles wonderfully. The casting for this series is great, and not liking the show because "tumblr fangirls like it" is a really weak excuse for not liking something.

ANYWAY apparently season 3 is ready for beginning 2014 so I'm really excited for the episodes :) They released a small teaser trailer a while ago:

Modern day Sherlock Holmes? umm.... sorry but no thank you.

I'm sure it's great and all, but I'm not a very big fan of the whole "modernization" thing some movies and tv shows have been doing lately... I just don't get why they have to try and reinvent some things by taking it out of it's time period and then setting it in current times or a modern setting... If this show was actually set in the late 1800's like the authentic Sherlock Holmes I would probably be all over it, since I'm actually a really big Holmes fan, but it's not and I can just see myself finding things to hate about this show if i did watch it for that same exact reason.

btw this is just my opinion. I haven't seen a single bit of this show, so I can't really say much about it other than what I already know :/

I'm sure it's great and all, but I'm not a very big fan of the whole "modernization" thing some movies and tv shows have been doing lately... I just don't get why they have to try and reinvent some things by taking it out of it's time period and then setting it in current times or a modern setting... If this show was actually set in the late 1800's like the authentic Sherlock Holmes I would probably be all over it, since I'm actually a really big Holmes fan, but it's not and I can just see myself finding things to hate about this show if i did watch it for that same exact reason.

502002205.gif?1327349904

/that's like going into a video game thread and saying "i love video games but I hate the fact that they made this one"

So CAT, how did you like a Scandal in Belgravia? It's one of my favourite episodes along with The Reichenbach Fall. The sudden plottwist at the end about Bond Air was so good. I didn't even notice it when Mycroft made the initial phone call!

I like how each episode is actually based on each novel/short story by sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Even the episode names are the same, only with slight modern alternations (Like a Scandal in Bohemia became a Scandal in Belgravia). The episodes follow the books extremely well, even though it's modern, I think that's what makes this show so incredibly good. I visited London a while ago and took a look around what John and Sherlock's living room would've looked like according to the books. It looks almost completely identical to Sherlock and John's living room in the BBC series. The producers even made the living room look accurate! They put so much effort into this to make it be as close to the original, that I haven't seen from many other Sherlock remakes or remakes in general.

btw this is just my opinion. I haven't seen a single bit of this show, so I can't really say much about it other than what I already know :/

tumblr_m6434g1nOA1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

To answer your question, sai - "Scandal in Belgravia" is AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING. I was already enjoying the series, but that episode (which is the 4th chronologically, but 1st of the 2nd season) really stepped things up! Everything about that episode is immaculate - from the script, the cinematography, the direction, to the score. Just..wow

Also, I got curious, and found a list of Sherlock Holmes adaptations - there are TONNNNS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_Sherlock_Holmes

Apparently, there's also an American series that has been airing called "Elementary"...which gives another modern take on it. They have Lucy Liu playing Watson...except she's "Joan Watson" lol :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_%28TV_series%29

I love most of the adaptations I've seen. I heard about Elementary at Comic Con last year (and got some free branded swag), but I haven't seen the show. I don't think it's on Netflix yet (where I do most of my TV-watching).

I look forward to season 3 and how they explain the ending of season 2.

Just watched the 5th episode (2nd of the 2nd season). It wasn't as masterful as the 4th, but it was enjoyable. Watching Sherlock and Watson interact in any capcity usually proves to be entertaining!

Moriarty appeared at the very end, so I'm excited to see what happens...I'll watch the 3rd tommorow! :D

OH MY GOD! All you guys using Sherlock gifs to put down Original Saku's post are highly respected people in my eyes now. I immediately thought of the "Anderson, don't talk out loud. You'll lower the IQ of the whole street"

Anyways, I watched this show probably at the beginning of 2013 and have been waiting for series 3 for so long! I absolutely love the way everything is made and executed; and it has grown to be my top favorite show alongside, Supernatural, HIMYM, Caslte, and Chuck. I have to give out the biggest applause to Benedict Cumberbatch. It's not an easy script of his to learn at all and the fact that he does it so elegantly and with so much emotions (or lack of sometimes as appropriate), especially the script for "The Hound of the Baskervilles" where Sherlock is in front of the fireplace, that was an intense monologue there. 

Jesus though, I'm a man and I'm going to admit, that series 2 ending left me speechless and with a bit of tears. Those final scenes were done so well, and even though I've read most of the Sherlock stories and already knew of what was really going on, I was still in shock as to what happened and how they did it. Huge praises to this show!

YOU GUYS HURT MY FEELINGS, I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS... lol

no but seriously like I said I'm sure this show is very enjoyable, but all I was trying to say is that it's probably just not for me..

btw those gifs are annoying and hurtful k thx bai.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

Can't wait for Season 3 in January!

And Andrew Scott is one fine piece of gay-ass. Mmm mm mm.

Jesus though, I'm a man and I'm going to admit, that series 2 ending left me speechless and with a bit of tears. Those final scenes were done so well, and even though I've read most of the Sherlock stories and already knew of what was really going on, I was still in shock as to what happened and how they did it. Huge praises to this show!

I agree! The final scenes of the last ep. were put together so well!

SPOILERS FOR CAT5

Tbqh, I think Molly had something to do with him surviving the fall, since he asked her for her help just before he went up to the rooftop of St. Bart's (after all, he lacked a pulse and where would they drive his body to but the morgue where Molly is in charge?). I doubt it was some sort of love confession, because lol, it's Sherlock. I do think that he realized in that episode that Molly is one of his best friends and he never even realized it (so he tells her she does matter, which I found very great because it definitely shows the intense character development Sherlock went through after meeting John). So yeah, she's at the morgue at that moment, he asks for her help, she wants to help...she's not unrelated to this, I'm pretty sure.

Show's tumblr fanbase is fucking disgusting, I hate Benedict Cumberbatch and his dumb face so much + also Steven Moffat for being a mysoginist dicklord and ruining Dr. Who by letting Reddit and Tumblr become its unofficial showrunners BUTTTTT on the other hand, despite all that, I actually do genuinely enjoy the show somehow??? Martin Freeman and Mark Gatiss are ballers and they're hecka entertaining to watch. Some episodes are of course more interesting than others but that's a thing all shows struggle with. (Looking at you, season 1 episode 2, you SUCK)

since I saw it was you who posted turtles I KNEW it would be tumblr related lol

ANYWAY if you dislike Who, what's still keeping you watching it? This isn't meant to be mean or an attack to you though, I'm just genuinely interested. Also I thought Moffat was doing this from season 1 onward? As in, he started with Christopher Eccleston.

since I saw it was you who posted turtles I KNEW it would be tumblr related lol

ANYWAY if you dislike Who, what's still keeping you watching it? This isn't meant to be mean or an attack to you though, I'm just genuinely interested. Also I thought Moffat was doing this from season 1 onward? As in, he started with Christopher Eccleston.

No, during Eccleston's time the showrunner was Davies. Moffat only wrote a few separate episodes. It wasnt until Matt Smith came in that Moffat became the full-on showrunner. I guess he's the type of person who can deliver when making like... separate standalone (or two-part) stories but just awkwardly stumbles when given full reign over the show. He's managed to sort of mess up some of the great things he initially created by sort of... over-using them or over-expanding them IMO, like the Angels and River Song for example. I'm not saying his entire run is shit though, Matt Smith's second season was like one of my fav. new Who seasons, but since then it's been sort of.... ??? like idk I watched all but the last 2 episodes of this season but most of them just didnt do it for me this time so i have high hopes that things will improve w/ the new dude (Also so far all of Moffat's christmas specials have been pretty lame compared to the Davies-era ones, except for the last one)

but ok woop sherlock time now

I agree! The final scenes of the last ep. were put together so well!

SPOILERS FOR CAT5

Tbqh, I think Molly had something to do with him surviving the fall, since he asked her for her help just before he went up to the rooftop of St. Bart's (after all, he lacked a pulse and where would they drive his body to but the morgue where Molly is in charge?). I doubt it was some sort of love confession, because lol, it's Sherlock. I do think that he realized in that episode that Molly is one of his best friends and he never even realized it (so he tells her she does matter, which I found very great because it definitely shows the intense character development Sherlock went through after meeting John). So yeah, she's at the morgue at that moment, he asks for her help, she wants to help...she's not unrelated to this, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, I thought the same as well because of that final scene between the two of them, I guess we'll be able to find out the whole story in 2014

Everyone's entitled their opinion and that's cool. And I'm a bit like you. I'm not too fond of "modernization" either, but every now and then it works out just fine, and this is one example on this. Sherlock is truly an excellent series, and while not on par with some of the films and earlier series, still amazing. The reason for "modernizing" are obviously the fact that there's already half a million films and TV-series based on Sherlock Holmes. It was time for something new. Despite not being a fan of "modernization" just like myself I would recommend you to check out. It's brilliant. Truly is.

The chemistry between Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman are excellent and the acting is great for most part, it's well written and well directed. There's just not much to put your finger on here. If I have to put my finger on something "weak" I would have to say "The Hounds of Baskerville". Not a bad episode at all, just not on par with the rest of the series.

And about the ending (BEWARE! SPOILER!):

I've only seen the last season once as soon as it came out so I might be a bit off here, but the big truck and the man on the bicycle are the main things to watch here. I'm sure Sherlock fixed some help and landed on something soft in back of the truck, and while this happened a bicyclist jolting against Watson made him miss it and it all seems real. I'm also sure he used the of the small balls seen earlier in that episode (or the previous?) one to stop his puls. Hide a ball under your armpit and squeeze and you're making it hard for the blood to come through as one of your major arteries is there, your pulse will gradually slow down and then completly disappear.

I'm not sure as I am not an expert, but I believe this might be the thing. I gotta rewatch both seasons soon enough, though. I might be far off as it is almost two years since I watched the episode, but that's how I remember it at least. :-P

Elementary is awful by the way. Godawful series.

I've only seen the last season once as soon as it came out so I might be a bit off here, but the big truck and the man on the bicycle are the main things to watch here. I'm sure Sherlock fixed some help and landed on something soft in back of the truck, and while this happened a bicyclist jolting against Watson made him miss it and it all seems real. I'm also sure he used the of the small balls seen earlier in that episode (or the previous?) one to stop his puls. Hide a ball under your armpit and squeeze and you're making it hard for the blood to come through as one of your major arteries is there, your pulse will gradually slow down and then completly disappear.

I'm not sure as I am not an expert, but I believe this might be the thing. I gotta rewatch both seasons soon enough, though. I might be far off as it is almost two years since I watched the episode, but that's how I remember it at least. :-P

I actually remember this technique being used on an episode of The Mentalist, so it's quite possible! I have also read theories that because the episode is seen from John's memory, that his memory might be inaccurate because he got hit by that cyclist when running towards the building. They did load his body on that cart though and took him to the entry of the morgue, at which Molly was present who he was just talking to earlier. She probably could've hidden him away.

also I agree on Elementary, haha. I watched it a couple of times because my ex really liked it (yet he refused to watch the BBC series I recommended him) but I never got into it. I feel sort of sorry for Lucy Liu for being in such an awful series. I do not mind the acting, the acting is decent enough, I just don't like the screenplay/writing.

Everyone's entitled their opinion and that's cool. And I'm a bit like you. I'm not too fond of "modernization" either, but every now and then it works out just fine, and this is one example on this. Sherlock is truly an excellent series, and while not on par with some of the films and earlier series, still amazing. The reason for "modernizing" are obviously the fact that there's already half a million films and TV-series based on Sherlock Holmes. It was time for something new. Despite not being a fan of "modernization" just like myself I would recommend you to check out. It's brilliant. Truly is.

The chemistry between Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman are excellent and the acting is great for most part, it's well written and well directed. There's just not much to put your finger on here. If I have to put my finger on something "weak" I would have to say "The Hounds of Baskerville". Not a bad episode at all, just not on par with the rest of the series.

First of all thanks for actually replying to my post instead of pushing it aside with retarded gifs like some other people... and secondly I have been hearing a lot of great things about this show and how well done it is, so in an effort to not make me seem like a total dick, I think I might at least try to watch the first season sometime soon.. actually your post in particular has sparked my interest to at least give it a chance, but I'm not promising anything I might still not like it xD

Awesome! Of course youcan't promise anything, but it is worth a try and I am sure you'll find something to enjoy about the series. It is very true to the original stories despite being modernized and can't be compared to Elementary, or the recent Sherlock Holmes films. It's way closer to the original source. And if it doesn't work out for you you can always go back to watching The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939), The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939) and the other classic Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce films, but these two mentioned are the best ones. Or Sherlock Holmes (series, 1954) or The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. But it is worth a try and I am sure you'll enjoy it, despite not knowing anything about your taste at all.

The films and series I mentioned are recommended by the way. Great, great adaptations worthy of everybody's time.

They showed a new trailer for season 3 last Saturday after the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who with the hashtag (urgh what do people have with hashtags) "coming soon". So yeah, shouldn't be too long now.

Just wondering, am I the only one who loved/loves Matt Frewer as Sherlock Holmes? My friends either never heard of (and thus never seen) his set of movies or they hated him. ;_;

I have only seen "The Royal Scandal", but that was a good one. Not close to being as good as Sherlock or any of the classic Sherlock Holmes series/films, but definitely worth checking out for fans of Sherlock Holmes, even though there's other places they should start.