Sign in to follow this  
Augie1995

Any Protest The Hero fans?

Any Protest the Hero fans on MH? Reason I ask is because I'm looking for people to talk about their new album Volition with and all of my friends are musically impaired. Truly an exceptional album, 5 stars all around!!! Best metal album of the decade for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=ppwWGTgGMMQ

I haven't checked them in the past years but I remember really liking their first two albums. Had the opportunity to interview them too when they went on a tour through the country. Great and fun guys.

Thanks for reminding me they had an album coming out! I'll have a quick listen soon.

I have arrived! (and so has my Volition CD)

Actually, hate for not being one of the tr00 fans who all hate Scurrilous, but I love Scurrilous! (But I'm obviously also a self-indulgent VK fan)

Having said that, Volition feels really different from Scurrilous, but I don't hate it. It's just that, I find it harder to get into right away. I still need to listen to it more, so I can't give you very detailed, backed-up comments on them. Maybe I'll add some more comments later.

One thing I've noticed is that it's less "catchy", less pop-like. To me it's very reminiscent of a post-hardcore album. The hooks aren't as magnetic, and not always as uniquely characteristic to the particular song. Headbangin' parts don't have a straight-forwardly headbangin' feel. (You know, the one that just tells you "headbang... NOW!"). Not saying that I don't like it (after all, I'm a post-hardcore fan first, and metal second). In fact, something that isn't as straightforward don't get boring very easily. This album makes me want to actively listen for the cool parts, puts me into confusion for a moment and forces me to figure out by myself where the resolution is (or maybe it doesn't always give a resolution). And sometimes not instantly liking something could mean that I'll actually really really love it in the long run.

Another thing is the sound production. I get the instant impression that it sounds "flatter" and "less 3D" than Scurrilous, which is totally understandable because now they had decided to leave the record label and do everything by themselves. (I gotta be honest that sound production itself can sometimes makes me totally jizz my pants, even if a song is just so-so.)

So all I can say now is that Volition isn't as much of a "fun" album, or rather, not as much of "a collection of fun songs". This is kind of an overly mentioned thing, but it works more as an album that you need to listen to from start to end. Very intriguing.

Sign in to follow this