CAT5

What do (or did) your parents listen to?

I'm curious, what do/did everyone's parents here listen to? What do you think about their taste in music? Are there any particular songs that they enjoyed that you hated or enjoyed as well? Did your parents have any favorite songs? Did you think their taste influenced you at all? I always find these kinds of things interesting! :D

As for me, well, my father was strictly a soul, funk, and old-school R&B fan. He absolutely loved The Temptations, Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, The Staple Singers and many of the old motown greats. He pretty much shunned any music outside of that, although he did admit to enjoying a few songs from our generation (a bit of hip hop and modern r&b.)

One of his favs:

My mother, on the other hand, was much more open-minded. She enjoyed everything my father did, but she also listened to variety of pop and rock from her era as well - like the carpenters, the mamas and the papas, black sabbath, yes, and so on.

When I was growing up, I enjoyed a good amount of music that my parents did, but I always considered it "old people music". It wasn't until I actually got older (say around 19 or 20) that I actually began to appreciate the music they listened to. So yes, I think their taste has had a huge impact on me. Not only do I enjoy most of things they did, but I also seek out more recent bands/artists with similar sounds. I certainly have my mother to thank for her open-mindedness...although I listen to quite a few things now that she would confuse her, haha...

lastly, both of my parents were huge Curtis Mayfield fans, although I remember my dad pointing out his genius to me in particular. The entire "Superfly" album is bad-ass and I'll jam to this even today! :D

Both my parents listen to salsa, merengue, bachata, 80's, and disco.

Personal Favorites:

Eddie Santiago - Lluvia

The lyrics in that song are insane and absolutely love singing along to it.

Marc Anthony y La India - Vivir lo nuestro

FUCKING CLASSIC

My Dad listened to Deep Purple because he was a Highway Staaaaarrrrrrrr!

No serious, imagine all the fake ghetto Asians with hard working fob parents driving in their beat up ricers that you us see now. Just replace ricer with a 1964 American muscle car blasting Sabbath, Dio and Deep Purple and that was my Dad.

He and my Mom still listens to all that stuff along with other hippy rock like Jefferson Airplane and Iron Butterfly.

So I grew up in a house full of that stuff and I think that kinda solidified my taste in rock music. I mean there's lots of other factors too, Seattle grunge explosion made it obligatory to like grunge rock etc but I really think my parents had a lot of influence.

That said, I like the stuff my parents like. Some tunes makes me remember my Mom driving us kids in our old GMC Hornet to the park and hearing Simon and Garfunckle and long drives into the mountains to camp and listening to that same Deep Purple album the whole trip. So basically gross old people music Ahhh!!

My parents were/are both rockers haha.

My dad used to listen to Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Iron Maiden and all that. Now he's mostly into power metal and regular hardrock.

My mom has always been into symphonic stuff and is now mostly into prog rock/metal like Pain of Salvation.

Their music influenced my own taste in music quite a bit, especially what my mom listens to.

I am pretty sure my mom has no specific musical interest but my dad, I guess, used to(too busy and saving money is a higher priority for him) listen to jazz or whatever the "hell, earth, wind and fire" and beatles. However, I got my dad hooked into a Wu-Tang album and even asked me if he can take the album with him overseas, his favourite rapper is now GZA. My mom can hum along with Versailles though, she didn't seem to mind me forgetting and leaving the Holy Grail CD in her car for like 4 months.

Both of my parents enjoyed the classic rock scene. Guns 'n roses, Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue , deep purple etc..

My dad was more of a grungy guy so he always listened to bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

My mom liked all the synth pop stuff like Madonna or Strawberry Switchblade. We wont even mention the unhealthy amount of Iggy Pop in this house.

Me and my parents listen to same type of music, to put it simply. Of course not Visual Kei, but everything else I mentioned :P

Thanks to my mother, I'm a huge 80's synthpop fan.

I think my mother leans more towards pop/country-pop and has always been averse to loud music with incomprehensible vocals. Apart from traditional music, as far as I could recall, I grew up singing to various versions of Unchained Melody, Casablanca, anything from Whitney Houston and other classic western love-songs she played on the cassette player... which ultimately intrigued me to learn the language because the lyrics, at that time, made absolutely no sense. I guess it did influence my musical preference later in my pre-adolescent years, in a way. The stuff she listens to now doesn't seem to change much, as she claims she digs those feelings of nostalgia which the music is capable of inciting.

My mom used to listen to older glam-rock stuff ( think Alice Cooper, Billy Idol, Kiss, Queen, that sort of stuff ), rock ballads and some other classic rock. Also listenst to other '70s and '80s (synth)pop/new wave stuff like Depeche Mode, Madonna, Nena, a-ha etc. Nowadays she doesn't really listen to music all that much unless the radio happens to be on. She did at some point like Within Temptation and Evanescence enough to buy a live dvd of theirs though..

My dad listens to a whole bunch of stuff.. Off the top of my head I know he nowadays digs Bob Marley, The Beatles, David Bowie, The Smiths, Pink Floyd, Simply Red, The Doors and a bunch of Dutch shit I hate. I guess he's more open-minded than my mom when it comes to music, he actually listens to stuff if I recommend it to him.

Both my parents listen to salsa, merengue, bachata, 80's, and disco.

omg are you me? My parents also listen(ed) to 80's rock, pop, R&B, some post-punk, and prog rock. My mother ignited my love for pop music when she would jam to Selena, Thalia, Paulia Rubio. etc. My mom, grandmother, and I loved dancing and listening to salsa and Latin jazz music. My dad kind of just listened to whatever my mom played since she always hogged the radio and car stereo. But I do have very fond memories with my father on long drives and him playing The Doors' collection CD that he had.

Some of my faves from back then ~<3

rip Selena v__v

rip Celia v__v

My Mom just listens to Dutch folk singers that aren't worth mentioning at all. 

My Dad had a better influence on me, however, but that didn't amplify until my parents divorced and I got both a stepdad- and mom who are suckers for classic rock and basically everything of the heavier side. Suddenly our surround system was filled with Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Metallica, Rammstein, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, and all that sort of stuff. Actually I got influenced by them more than my real parents which is rather funny.

My dad listens to a whole bunch of stuff.. Off the top of my head I know he nowadays digs Bob Marley, The Beatles, David Bowie, The Smiths, Pink Floyd, Simply Red, The Doors and a bunch of Dutch shit I hate. I guess he's more open-minded than my mom when it comes to music, he actually listens to stuff if I recommend it to him.

haha, Turtles Sr. sounds pretty awesome! Recommending anything to my father was a dead issue lol. Back in the day, he thought I only listened to "Chinese" music. He did admit to enjoying an old, jazzy Mika Nakashima tune once. I'll NEVER forget that!

I think my mother leans more towards pop/country-pop and has always been averse to loud music with incomprehensible vocals. Apart from traditional music, as far as I could recall, I grew up singing to various versions of Unchained Melody, Casablanca, anything from Whitney Houston and other classic western love-songs she played on the cassette player... which ultimately intrigued me to learn the language because the lyrics, at that time, made absolutely no sense. I guess it did influence my musical preference later in my pre-adolescent years, in a way. The stuff she listens to now doesn't seem to change much, as she claims she digs those feelings of nostalgia which the music is capable of inciting.

Interesting, especially considering how expansive your music taste is! Does she know about anything you listen to?

That said, I like the stuff my parents like.

Your parents sound bad-ass, haha!

omg are you me? My parents also listen(ed) to 80's rock, pop, R&B, some post-punk, and prog rock. My mother ignited my love for pop music when she would jam to Selena, Thalia, Paulia Rubio. etc. My mom, grandmother, and I loved dancing and listening to salsa and Latin jazz music. My dad kind of just listened to whatever my mom played since she always hogged the radio and car stereo. But I do have very fond memories with my father on long drives and him playing The Doors' collection CD that he had.

Awesome. I can see where some of your affinity for certain styles of Japanese music comes from! :')

My dad likes old country music (ewww xD) and blues for the most part but also has some Pink Floyd, Queen and David Bowie in his vinyl collection. Both him and my mom enjoy listening to Shania Twain and Anastacia from the more contemporary artists. Oh, and random Hungarian bands kind of in the alternative pop and/or jazz-pop spectrum, such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnLVED2LxSU

Interesting, especially considering how expansive your music taste is! Does she know about anything you listen to?

...well, to put it crudely, my mother doesn't really appreciate anything I listen to, for she only takes into consideration (and ends up liking) the stuff my brother recommends to her. It seems to me that in a universe of people and their preferences for music, to her, I belong to 'people with narnian taste' circle... although there was one occasion when she was AFK and I offhandedly put Abe Fuyumi's How to Live and Nell's Slip Away on her playlist just to see how she'd respond to it. She didn't even ask how the songs could've been therebut I could tell she enjoyed those albeit them being a little melancholy. :indie_happy:

The only time my dad listened to music was on the long road trips to visit his parents. One of the songs he liked was The Animals - Spill Wine. The radio version gets to the meat of the song much faster, but I don't want to look for a better youtube version. XD

My mom always had the radio on and owned tons of cassettes. She loved Cyndi Lauper!
One of the last songs I remember her listening to (on cassette) before her death was Color Me Badd - I Wanna Sex You Up. It isn't awkward at all to listen to that song with your mother as a child/preteen..................... *cough*

grew up with iron maiden, menowar, black sabbath, def leppard, deep purple, u2, depeche mode, queen, pink floyd, kraftwerk, nirvana + some latvian rock bands. my dad has nice musical taste, we can visit together rock concerts and i am not ashamed to be with him :)

My mother loves modern pop and hip hop, as well as the Beatles.

My father enjoys the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Roy Orbison; but he loves Willie Nelson, George Jones, Buddy Holly, and select 50's Rock N' Roll.

Let's see, my dad has always been into eccentric classic rock, like Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull kinda stuff.  My mom is/was  huge Beatles fan and also likes old r&b.  Both of them have a thing for blues currently.  I wouldn't really say my music tastes resemble either of them for the most part, but I definitely got my dad's penchant for looking for things off the beaten path, I just took it to a whole nother level. 8D

My mother and father are hardly what I would call music fans. They used to listen to more when I was younger, but they pretty much doesn't listen to anything anymore.

My mother pretty much only listens to Christian music at this point. I don't know if she listens to music when I am not around, but I know she hardly ever listens in the car and I can't even recall the last time she turned on the radio at home. I think probably the biggest amount of her music consumption comes from the choir at church.

My father on the other hand used to be a fairly big country music fan. I don't think he ever really put much thought in to the music that he was listening to, though...just kind of what ever was on the radio and was popular. Now he has pretty much given up on listening to music and has talk radio on all the time...which is probably worse (though I am not sure). I can say the first concert I have any memory of going to was because of my Dad's musical tastes when he was much younger...Peter, Paul, and Mary XD

So pretty much interest in music, yet alone the kind that I listen to, is in no way from my parents.

My mother isn't a big fan of music afaik. All she listens to is what my dad listens to. My dad listens to a little bit of everything really. He plays with a few guys in a band and back when he was younger he did some touring here and there. He likes classic rock stuff, but also listens to country (or as I call it, farm emo), but is also a big fan of Beyonce. I can't really pinpoint him...he did once say that he had no idea where my taste in music came from but he does think that me liking older VK bands like B-T and DEAD END is a tad bit influenced by him, haha.

My mom listens to a lot of mainstream rock, for example, stuff like Godsmack, Disturbed, Creed, Beth Hart.

and then there's the huge amount of classic rock like def leppard, pink floyd, styx, the pretenders, the beetles, etc

and then randomly she decides to throw in a bunch of old school r&b and I really cant even name the groups off the top of my head because its 7am and i havent slept yet lol.

memory gets foggy....

but my dad...the only thing i can think of even is Jethro Tull and the Carpenters?

God, most of you had or have great parents. Mine didn't really have a music taste at all, except maybe my father, but I don't really have to do with him that much since he doesn't live with us anymore. He liked a bit psychedelic rock like the doors and blues.
My mother listens mainly to 80s pop, but she likes anything that comes in the radio. (okay, maybe not everything. She doesn't like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Co.) Until my 12th birthday I mostly listened to mainstream pop too. I used to take our radio and listened to whatever played.
My parents however have absolutely no influence on my current music taste. That rather originated from my horrible mallgoth phase, when listening to Green Day, Nightwish, Evanescence and Good Charlotte bacame trendy and kewl. I grew out from that mostly and started to dig up "real" goth groups - on the same time however my love for crappy indies vk bands grew also.
My mother obviously doesn't like none of the music I like, save for maybe a few the Cure, Depeche Mode and old 80s pop and synth-pop songs I listen to. The recent years she has found a throbbing love for ABBA though (and I started to like them too *lol*). She also doesn't know much about music and especially genres that lie a bit beyond the commercial music scene (Metal, Alternative rock, Punk, etc.)

my mom listened to a lot of The Carpenters, while my dad listened to a lot of Led Zeppelin and AC/DC.