Flame-X

Show off your Rig

That's pretty cool but I personally wouldn't be able to stand something that small... I like to have lots of space to do stuff with xD But for Zess' needs it might be perfect.

I updated the original post with my build in it before reading the last two and oddly enough I ended up with (almost) the same exact case. I had to choose a different case anyway since different sites have different dimensions for it and I'm not sure which is right. I think I ended up with a better case anyhow. I looked into smaller Fractal cases but having the USB ports anywhere but on the front will make it unusable (since I won't be able to fit a USB in there).

That plus swapping the mobo dropped the price a bit.

Forgot to mention, don't do Windows 8. Stay with Windows 7 until 9 comes out. 8 is awful on the desktop especially if you don't have a touch screen.

I would also recommend 7 over 8 especially for gaming, but 8 isn't all that bad after some tweaking and you can disable the start menu thingy so touch controls aren't necessary.

Another update! Ended up buying the intended CPU and Motherboard today as I said yesterday but then I came across another killer sale: the ASUS DirectCU Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 Video Card for $198.49! That card retailed new for $429.99 not too long ago! I couldn't resist it.

Now it looks something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($39.99 @ Microcenter)

Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($136.63 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($198.50 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($128.99 @ B&H)

Monitor: LG 22MP55HQ-P 60Hz 22.0" Monitor ($116.10 @ Amazon)

Keyboard: AZIO L70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($24.99 @ Micro Center)

Mouse: Logitech G300 Wired Optical Mouse ($23.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $1210.13

Paid $20.11 in tax so far

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-07 20:02 EDT-0400

I will try to see where else I can save money.

awesome man, that's a good price for quite an upgrade over the GPU you was gonna settle on :)

I really want to grab one of those new R9 290X cards but they're really pricey and my R7950 still has a few more years of useabilty before I truly have to upgrade XD

So small update! My original motherboard was fried which was preventing my computer from successfully entering POST. I exchanged it for a new motherboard and I'm currently installing updates and customizing the operating system. Tomorrow I will pick up a DVI cable, attach it to the graphics card, and begin testing things out.

Awesome man! glad you got things worked out :D that's kinda weird that the motherboard was fried, do you think you did it somehow while installing or that it was a mishap before you got it?

That motherboard was giving me nothing but trouble since I unpacked it. Even if I had accidentally shorted it, the amount of stress I put it through before I gave up certainly didn't help. This second motherboard was easy to set up. Took me maybe ~40 minutes to go from putting the pieces together to getting into POST, and that time included the time I spent looking for the SSD hidden in the back of the case.

Okay so over Christmas I got a few new parts to upgrade my system.. namely a new motherboard and a water cooler for my CPU, and also a new case (I didn't plan on this one, but the opportunity showed itself, so i took it)

here's the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/26CB7P

and here's a few pictures

qybMQoCl.jpgmVYCJGLl.jpg

NdBbfbNl.jpg

afb9G7pl.jpg

here's the link to the dropbox with some more pictures for anyone interested... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rahepi8syyoujdb/AAA8JqL6uMNSdfcHODUJI3TLa?dl=0

I'm very satisfied with this build :)

Well, I got a new computer, so....

11037319_858728274187402_560820515244892

The basics:

CPU: Intel i7 4790 @ 3.60 Ghz

Mainboard: Asrock H81M-HDS

Memory: 16 GB RAM

Storage: 240 SSD + 1TB HD

Graphic card: Geforce GTX 970 (4 GB)

Haven't fully tested its capabilities so far, but I can say this already: I'm currently playing Dragon Age: Inquisition (a game that I suspect to be poorly optimized for PC anyway) - my old computer (which wasn't really that bad for its price) got an average of 30 fps with occasional lag spikes - on the lowest graphic setting. The new baby runs the game on maxed out graphic setting at a lovely 75 fps. ^__^

That's pretty sweet Champ <3 It looks like you spared no expenses with the graphics card, so you should be future proof for quite a few years :) welcome to the future!

about dragon age, it's actually pretty well optimized for PC.... well the engine Frostbite is at least.

about dragon age, it's actually pretty well optimized for PC.... well the engine Frostbite is at least.

Well, then my old computer was even suckier than I thought. XD Well, it actually did have a decent CPU and memory, I think it was the mediocre graphics card that was dragging it down. That's why I made sure to get a really good one this time.

Heres an updated build! - hardware is the same, but i ditched my Fractal Define XL (V.1) for something a little more fancy

SDC10675.jpg

SDC10672.jpg

and the finished goods

SDC10677.JPG

Its really hard to get a pic in the dark with my camera as it looks all grainy and saturated. but i assure you it looks majestic.

Ive also switched out the Corsair H80i for a H105. a few LED strips are still yet to be added because i dont have a molex to molex extension to help me place the LED strip in the right place. This is easily one of the easiest and cleanest builds/transfers i have ever made. There is just so much space inside that case.

I also 'floated' the fan cover at the top with some tiny magnets. Saves having to get a custom dust filter in.

SDC10683.JPG

Looks real sexy. I have always thought about that case, but probably gunna opt out for something with better sound proofing...but damn it is sweet. Nice build!

I am trying to hold out for Skylake for my next build. Let's see if I can make it XD

Looks real sexy. I have always thought about that case, but probably gunna opt out for something with better sound proofing...but damn it is sweet. Nice build!

I am trying to hold out for Skylake for my next build. Let's see if I can make it XD

Coming from a Fractal Define XL its not that loud at all. though i had a silly amount of fans running on it though 1x Corsair SP120 2x140mm Silverstone AP at the front, 1x180mm silverstone AP at the top, 1x140mm Noiseblocker Pro PK-3 at the back and 1x140mm Silverstone AP on the side All these fans were used in conjunction with a fan controller though so they were never running full out - Oh i forgot to add that i also had two 1850rpm Gentle Typhoons on my H80i

I decided to retire my Define XL for something a bit more 'modern' with better airflow and the first Define XL didnt have support for 240mm radiators which was becoming a bit of an issue for future upgrades. The newer Fractal Define cases dont suffer from the same issues though as the manufacturer has worked on peoples feedback (better watercooling support) 

So far my only gripe has been that i wish there were 'faster' white LED 140mm fans. all the ones i seem to find spin around 1000rpm which is what these corsair AF140's spin at.

Oh and i did get a pair of 970s when they were first released - I think i was still running a pair of 680s the last time i showed my rig. 

::EDIT::

the PSU is kinda new too - I had a Corsair HX1050 go bad on me last year that needed to be swapped out. Corsair sent me back a HX1200i - Didnt need something so powerful and this PSU cost a tonne so i sold it off and made a nice bit of profit.

Very nice setup there.

I just upgraded my RAM to 16 gigs finally and my cpu cooler to Corsair H90.

Sorry for the terrible pic quality. My phone isn't for photos.

2vke1vl.jpg

rvai4x.jpg

Goodbye stock cooler!

CC481oSUgAAT-qr.jpg